Thread: my doors are auto locking in the driveway?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

my doors are auto locking in the driveway?

I just purchased a used 2014 mirage DE, 5spd MT, and it has been locking the doors automatically in the driveway. I only have 1 key right now and I'm afraid it will lock me out (with the key inside) before I get another key made. Is there a way to turn off the auto lock function??

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,759 Times in 2,156 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scottmarsc View Post
    I just purchased a used 2014 mirage DE, 5spd MT, and it has been locking the doors automatically in the driveway. I only have 1 key right now and I'm afraid it will lock me out (with the key inside) before I get another key made. Is there a way to turn off the auto lock function??
    I would have an extra key cut right away. It doesn't have to be a chipped key that's programmed to the car to unlock the car door manually. It may take a locksmith to program a 2nd key, but Walmart could cut one (listed below) for a few bucks. If you locked your chipped key in the car, you could get to it at least.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/AKS-KEYS-...SellerId=17877

Since you only have one programmed chipped key, programming a new one by yourself is not an option. You probably already know that. ETAC may address the auto lock issue. Hopefully, someone will address that.

As far as the auto lock function, I don't really understand why that is happening? If I unlock my Mirage & open any door, the car remains unlocked.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hell I have to hit unlock 37 times just to get the passenger doors to unlock.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    The original ETACS don't have auto lock function. Check if your car already installed third party alarm system or autolock module attached to OBD port.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the input- waiting on remote keys to arrive and be cut/programmed immediately. It doesn't appear any aftermarket systems have been installed on this car, and the car "auto locking" seems very arbitrary and unpredictable.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I dont have power door locks on my Mirage. But I know on some toyota's if you use the remote to unlock the doors and do not open the doors for a certain amount of time they will auto re-lock.

If you have a security camera setup you would see the lights flash if the car is receiving a signal from a malfunctioning key fob. You could also remove all fob batteries and see if that resolves your issue.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,759 Times in 2,156 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    I dont have power door locks on my Mirage. But I know on some toyota's if you use the remote to unlock the doors and do not open the doors for a certain amount of time they will auto re-lock.
    I have never seen a vehicle with remote entry that didn't automatically re-lock the doors including my 2017 Mirage.

If I unlock my Mirage with the remote & don't open a door, the car will re-lock itself after a very short period of time. My driver's education cars (various brands) will do the same. I think this is pretty standard for various makes.

If I unlock my Mirage with the remote & open any door including the hatch, the car will not automatically re-lock itself.

I suspect there is nothing wrong with his Mirage.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-22-2023)

What Mark said. I'm sure the time before it relocks can be changed or maybe remove that feature altogether. These are pretty idiot proof cars to lock your keys in. Put the key in the ignition then try to lock the doors. They'll automagically unlock.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Mark (10-23-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,583 Times in 1,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I have never seen a vehicle with remote entry that didn't automatically re-lock the doors including my 2017 Mirage.

If I unlock my Mirage with the remote & don't open a door, the car will re-lock itself after a very short period of time. My driver's education cars (various brands) will do the same. I think this is pretty standard for various makes.

If I unlock my Mirage with the remote & open any door including the hatch, the car will not automatically re-lock itself.

I suspect there is nothing wrong with his Mirage.
    The factory set timer is 30 seconds for you to open any door including the hatch. It will auto lock if you don't open a door within that time period. IIRC you can turn this off or lengthen the time period in ETACS if you had the correct software.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-23-2023),Mark (10-23-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Hell I have to hit unlock 37 times just to get the passenger doors to unlock.
    Within ETACS, there's an option to reduce that down to 36 times.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

mohammad (10-26-2023)