Thread: 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage, Crank, No Start.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

2017 Mitsubishi Mirage, Crank, No Start.

Hey All,
    Longtime lurker of this forum, but 1st issue I've encountered with my Mirage.

Filled up at Costco on Monday, drove home parked and it sat for 3 days. Tried to start it, it cranks, but no start. So I assume battery (battery was original), I install a new battery, still just cranks, no start. Checked fuses, no codes were thrown either, tested the fuel pump its working. Starter seems like it's trying but the car is in my driveway so testing it is a pain (maybe last resort?). So I saw all the threads about flooding and tried that out with no avail. Decided it was worth the gamble to install new spark plugs and still same issue.

Attached video of trying to start.

Anyone able to help me out please? We're racking our brains over here. Thanks

It's flooded.
    Can try flooring it to clear it. Or try this...

If these things don't start on the first try, they're pretty much guaranteed to be flooded just like that. Same with if you start one up then shut it off before it's up to operating temp. It happens far more often when it's cold.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,858 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Hello BadLuck and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear your having problems with your Mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by BadLuck View Post
    So I saw all the threads about flooding and tried that out with no avail.
    Could you provide more detail as to what you mean by this? It sounds like flooding to me. What exactly did you try? Usually a flooded condition is resolved by holding the accelerator pedal fully to the floor while cranking, and don't let up on the pedal until the engine starts. I assume you did this, but just wanted to be sure before continuing with other troubleshooting steps.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I can already tell by your video that you aren't cranking it long enough. You aren't gonna hurt it.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

I missed the part about changing the spark plugs.

While you had the plugs out did you clear all the fuel from the cylinders?(unplug injectors and coils then crank the engine over with the gas pedal to the floor). Were the plugs wet? Chances are the new plugs are fouled by now too. Pull them out and dry them off.

I'm sure your car is still flooded. These can sometimes be a pita to get going once they are like that. If you just kept on cranking and it wasn't starting things just get worse-crankcase fills with gas, cylinders gets washed out, oil diluted etc....

In the off chance it isn't flooded, what are the chances you filled it up with diesel or got a bad batch of fuel(water)?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)