Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gear oil report 5MT: Lightweight shockproof + graphene

Who knows maybe the op's transmission will outlast Steve's?

There are lots of people that claim you have to run oem fluid in your cvt or it won't last. Slightly off topic but close enough:

I'm not sure if this stuff has been posted before. It must have all the original herbs and spices all in one bottle!

I think it was and I thought it was a horrible idea at the time. Now I care less and would give it a go if I had a more reliable spare vehicle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-06-2023),Top_Fuel (11-06-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,485 Posts
    Interesting. If you Google this stuff you end up at multiple bobistheoilguy threads.

Name:  universal_fluid.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  72.3 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-06-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Interesting. If you Google this stuff you end up at multiple bobistheoilguy threads.

Name:  universal_fluid.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  72.3 KB
    Must be nice to have a bottle with only English on it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (11-07-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hi all,

Thanks for the input I do enjoy a mirage gear oil thread.

Just a few things:

1. I do the fluid changes myself and this is my only car so my use case is different from those of you with multiple cars / industrial mirage use. ie. to me it is worth it to spend a few more minute / dollars on fluid changes.

2. As I learn more about different options, I have been slowly changing to what is hopefully optimal, not trying to economize on money for fluids but applaud those who do.

3. My gear oil was changed at 6,000km (break in) and 16,000 km and it was clearly still good for both changes, I changed it to test a potentially better product, I intend to run the shockproof for what the manual says (49,000 km for mine).

4. Here are a few citations that I read which motivated my gear oil choices, again, I am trying to find the optimal, and add another data point with this particular combination of products.

https://www.redlineoil.com/Content/f...OD_INFO(1).pdf
    https://www.redlineoil.com/Content/f...Tech_6.20_.pdf
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...01679X23000075

5. Will obviously need to follow this post up with another engine oil/filter post because that is the most fun topic to argue about lol.

Thank you all for your expertise and insight, its great to chat with a group who loves the mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,143 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks for the input I do enjoy a mirage gear oil thread.

Just a few things:

1. I do the fluid changes myself and this is my only car so my use case is different from those of you with multiple cars / industrial mirage use. ie. to me it is worth it to spend a few more minute / dollars on fluid changes.

2. As I learn more about different options, I have been slowly changing to what is hopefully optimal, not trying to economize on money for fluids but applaud those who do.

3. My gear oil was changed at 6,000km (break in) and 16,000 km and it was clearly still good for both changes, I changed it to test a potentially better product, I intend to run the shockproof for what the manual says (49,000 km for mine).

4. Here are a few citations that I read which motivated my gear oil choices, again, I am trying to find the optimal, and add another data point with this particular combination of products.

https://www.redlineoil.com/Content/f...OD_INFO(1).pdf
    https://www.redlineoil.com/Content/f...Tech_6.20_.pdf
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...01679X23000075

5. Will obviously need to follow this post up with another engine oil/filter post because that is the most fun topic to argue about lol.

Thank you all for your expertise and insight, its great to chat with a group who loves the mirage.
    If you care about your transmission, what did you find out about the bold print below?

VRed Line LightWeight Shockproof gear oil is designed to lubricate racing transmissions and transaxles that see serious loads (not recommended for most syncro-type transmissions).

Have you verified this product is recommended for a Mitsubishi Mirage manual transmission?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 1,093 Posts
    sunbeam - You are a Top Gun Mirage owner (IMO). To own only 1 vehicle is VERY romantic. You own this one vehicle and it is one helluva useful vehicle to own ... and you're doing your own maintenance to the car. So, that's why I say you are a Top Gun owner.

I'm no rich guy. I have a lot of cars. But it's gone like this for me. As my personal income increased, the value/cost of the vehicles for which I had the hots, decreased. 2 of the cars I currently own were free. 1 I sold this year I paid $2,750 for, then sold it for $4,500. Owned it for 7 years. The other vehicles have been procured over time. 3 for my sons, 1 for The Warden.

From what I can discern, I think you are doing everything right for your car IMO.

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If you care about your transmission, what did you find out about the bold print below?

VRed Line LightWeight Shockproof gear oil is designed to lubricate racing transmissions and transaxles that see serious loads (not recommended for most syncro-type transmissions).

Have you verified this product is recommended for a Mitsubishi Mirage manual transmission?
    In the data sheets above the syncro recommendation is not mentioned.
    It meets the 75w80 requirements and the data sheets show improved reductions in friction.
    This and the feel of the shifts to me suggests it is ok, however only long term use will tell.

Will report back the results.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
    In the data sheets above the syncro recommendation is not mentioned.
    It meets the 75w80 requirements and the data sheets show improved reductions in friction.
    This and the feel of the shifts to me suggests it is ok, however only long term use will tell.

Will report back the results.
    Please do. I'll wait until the 60k second-hand warranty is gone before I try it but if you put on many miles with no issues I may try it as the second trans fluid change. I've just passed 19k on my 2022 5MT and plan on doing Redline MTL @ 30k as people keep suggesting here. Some say it improves shifting a bit so that would be cool. I don't know how much you actually can improve it considering this is a little economy gear box with cable linkage.

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I ran the Redline earl in mine and it didn't improve shinola. It's the same, or if anything, it's a microscopic amount worster.
    Not encouraging. I was looking forward to slightly smoother shifts with the MTL.
    2022 Mirage ES [5MT/Infrared/OEM+] / 2015 CR-V EX [CVT/Black Pearl/Modded]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    sunbeam - You are a Top Gun Mirage owner (IMO). To own only 1 vehicle is VERY romantic. You own this one vehicle and it is one helluva useful vehicle to own ... and you're doing your own maintenance to the car. So, that's why I say you are a Top Gun owner.

I'm no rich guy. I have a lot of cars. But it's gone like this for me. As my personal income increased, the value/cost of the vehicles for which I had the hots, decreased. 2 of the cars I currently own were free. 1 I sold this year I paid $2,750 for, then sold it for $4,500. Owned it for 7 years. The other vehicles have been procured over time. 3 for my sons, 1 for The Warden.

From what I can discern, I think you are doing everything right for your car IMO.

7milesout
    Thank you for the kind words, means a lot coming from you. I also see people aquire amazing cars randomly and before I knew a bit more about cars I was offered a mazda mx6 for free which I am so sad I did not take. My friend was gifted a 1998 toyota 4runner and I hope to make a few more dollars to buy a subaru BRZ before they stop making them.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesboro View Post
    Please do. I'll wait until the 60k second-hand warranty is gone before I try it but if you put on many miles with no issues I may try it as the second trans fluid change. I've just passed 19k on my 2022 5MT and plan on doing Redline MTL @ 30k as people keep suggesting here. Some say it improves shifting a bit so that would be cool. I don't know how much you actually can improve it considering this is a little economy gear box with cable linkage.

Not encouraging. I was looking forward to slightly smoother shifts with the MTL.
    So, when I switched to the synthetic 75w90 liquid-moly it really smoothed out, but this lightweight shockproof + graphene cocktail is smooth and has a bit of extra "cushion" on the shifts, it is more forgiving on missed shifts, it is a really pleasant feeling for sure. I just hit 22,000km but I drive quite a bit for work so expecting long term results soon.