Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gear oil report 5MT: Lightweight shockproof + graphene

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
    So, when I switched to the synthetic 75w90 liquid-moly it really smoothed out, but this lightweight shockproof + graphene cocktail is smooth and has a bit of extra "cushion" on the shifts, it is more forgiving on missed shifts, it is a really pleasant feeling for sure. I just hit 22,000km but I drive quite a bit for work so expecting long term results soon.
    Please send a sample in for formal test results once you change this batch of gear oil and let us know. I have a sneaking suspicion if they claim "not recommended for most syncro-type transmissions" then it may be hostile towards the brass/bronze standard synchros are made of. I mean I assume they would include that detail for a reason but I'm no chemist.

2022 Mirage ES [5MT/Infrared/OEM+] / 2015 CR-V EX [CVT/Black Pearl/Modded]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonesboro For This Useful Post:

daleWV (11-10-2023),Fummins (11-10-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesboro View Post
    Please send a sample in for formal test results once you change this batch of gear oil and let us know. I have a sneaking suspicion if they claim "not recommended for most syncro-type transmissions" then it may be hostile towards the brass/bronze standard synchros are made of. I mean I assume they would include that detail for a reason but I'm no chemist.
    I actually cannot find reference to this syncro-type transmission limitation in their on-website material or the safety data sheets. When I see this caveat it is from 3rd party retailers not from the actual redline website / datasheets themselves. In the white paper and safety data sheet there are no warnings.

Probably worth a call to redline tech support, they are super responsive from past calls (for water wetter).

Off-topic slightly, we changed oil suppliers recently and the bottles of universal cvt fluid do not show that it meets the J4 specs but their website shows that it does.... so it gets dumped in hole.

I don't know that I'd still use it thinking that it didn't have the proper amount of herbs and spices specified by the mfg, regardless of how the mfg says it works well in racing applications where drivetrain components are often replaced after a season if not every race.

For some real-world data, do a search for "cheap plastic car" or stevedmc. He used his 5speed Mirage for work and posted most, if not all his service records for the car. It was the highest mileage Mirage on this forum for the longest time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (05-09-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Off-topic slightly, we changed oil suppliers recently and the bottles of universal cvt fluid do not show that it meets the J4 specs but their website shows that it does.... so it gets dumped in hole.

I don't know that I'd still use it thinking that it didn't have the proper amount of herbs and spices specified by the mfg, regardless of how the mfg says it works well in racing applications where drivetrain components are often replaced after a season if not every race.

For some real-world data, do a search for "cheap plastic car" or stevedmc. He used his 5speed Mirage for work and posted most, if not all his service records for the car. It was the highest mileage Mirage on this forum for the longest time.
    Many thanks fummins, I have reviewed the garage report you sent, also I subscribed to your youtube channel its really great.

I also added my own maintenance records to my garage report.

In terms of your advice above, are you suggesting that the warning on the shockproof has been lost over time?

Also, I read in a subaru forum that in prior versions of the shockproof there was an issue with the formulation causing damage but this is no longer an issue ie some kind of reformulation.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sunbeam For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-10-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Update:

Tried 50/50 Redline lightweight shockproof, Motul 300 for the 2024 gear oil change without grapehene.

Changing the gear oil once per calendar year.

Planning to move to redline "superlight" shockproof, found some on amazon for a good price.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,143 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
    Update:

Tried 50/50 Redline lightweight shockproof, Motul 300 for the 2024 gear oil change without grapehene.

Changing the gear oil once per calendar year.

Planning to move to redline "superlight" shockproof, found some on amazon for a good price.
    What is your annual mileage for your Mirage?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    What is your annual mileage for your Mirage?
    Enough where I want to change it once a year not once every 2 years haha.

Like doing the maintenance in the summertime rather than the winter.