Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gear oil report 5MT: Lightweight shockproof + graphene

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Gear oil report 5MT: Lightweight shockproof + graphene

Hi all,

Just wanted to update on a recent gear oil change on a 5 speed manual.

Tried redline lightweight shockproof with a graphene gear box treatment.

The shifting was smooth on the previous gear oil (Liquid moly 75W-90 synthetic), but now it has noticeably smoother shifts, especially the 1-2 which to me is always the most difficult to smoothly shift to.

I have read some positive results with shockproof oil on the subaru forums and wanted to add a positive review here.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/red-58404
    https://www.graphenoil.com/product-p...rbox-treatment

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Redline make a very good product.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Is there a place to buy it in Canada?
    I searched before, and I couldn't find a reasonably priced Canadian source

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.3 mpg (US) ... 18.8 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,143 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
    Hi all,

Just wanted to update on a recent gear oil change on a 5 speed manual.

Tried redline lightweight shockproof with a graphene gear box treatment.

The shifting was smooth on the previous gear oil (Liquid moly 75W-90 synthetic), but now it has noticeably smoother shifts, especially the 1-2 which to me is always the most difficult to smoothly shift to.

I have read some positive results with shockproof oil on the subaru forums and wanted to add a positive review here.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/red-58404
    https://www.graphenoil.com/product-p...rbox-treatment
    How often are you planning to change the manual transmission fluid in your 2023 Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I saw in the Red Line Light Weight Shock Proof instructions that it says it's "not recommended for most syncro-type transmissions"

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daleWV For This Useful Post:

7milesout (11-03-2023),Fummins (11-03-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 1,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daleWV View Post
    I saw in the Red Line Light Weight Shock Proof instructions that it says it's "not recommended for most syncro-type transmissions"
    I does say that. That would indicate to me that I would not want to run it in our cute little 5 speed transmissions. Thanks for pointing that out Dale!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

If it's not broken, fix it until it is.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,143 Posts
    I had read the same thing, & it would prevent me from using it.

I somewhat question a 2023 having its manual transmission oil changed twice already.

I would recommend the Redline MTL for our manual transmissions, but I wouldn't do the first change before 30,000 miles. I've done a 30,000 mile interval & a 50,000 mile interval manual transmission oil change. I am going to stick with 50,000 miles, because the oil looked really good both times. It doesn't heat up like CVT oil either.

Redline MTL states things like -

"HIGH PERFORMANCE - Gear protection and longer synchro life. Recommended for GL-1, GL-3, and GL-4 applications, as well as where most special synchromesh fluids are specified.

SAFE FOR BRASS SYNCHROS - GL-4 Gear Oil lacks the reactive sulfurs found in most GL-5 oils that cause damage. Recommended for GL-1, GL-3 & GL-4 applications.

POPULAR REPLACEMENT FOR and improvement over GM Synchromesh 12345349 and Auto-Trak II 12378508 and Chrysler spec MS-9224.

POPULAR GEAR OIL FOR - BMW, Honda and Acura, Ford Focus, late-model Mini Cooper, Land Rover/Range Rover LT77S, Dodge and Jeep NV1500, NV3500 and NV5600 truck transmissions."

MTL is the proper 75W80 GL-4 gear oil to use. I would NOT put the wrong oil in a brand new car.

I bought a gallon in 2019 (August 25) for $60.90. Today that same gallon is $90.60. Inflation rates seem off to me. It seems much, much higher in my small realm of the world.

2 quarts will do the job. I did two changes with the gallon.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-05-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 1,130 Posts
    I run Redline MTL in my OS and it improved the shifting. I changed it at 30,000 miles and am just about to turn 60,000 miles on the odometer and will change it again. The OEM fluid looked good at the first drain and fill so I'm expecting this next drain and fill to look good also. Then my plan is to change it again at 100,000 miles and every 50,000 miles after that (150, 200 etc..).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Mark (11-05-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 1,093 Posts
    I ran the Redline earl in mine and it didn't improve shinola. It's the same, or if anything, it's a microscopic amount worster.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)