Thread: Accidently did a neutral drop while floored

cvt connoisseur, of sorts OrganicFoxes's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Unhappy Accidently did a neutral drop while floored

Today I have learned that the mirage has a safety feature for if you put your car into gear without pressing the brake. This apartment gate today started opening towards me and not the other way like every other apartment I have been to does. When it started to open I was freaking out and put my car in neutral and thought it was reverse but then realized it was In neutral and then me not thinking I put it into reverse, with the gas pedal down still. It did not move at all until I put my foot on the brake then it engaged and went into reverse. Was to late and the gate hit my car and messed up the bumper. I always thought that putting your automatic car in gear without the brake pedal down would just slam it into gear and you would start moving, but maybe that is only with older cars? Not sure but I am glad the mirage does have this safety feature for people that might not be thinking super clearly like me, or as an accident. Just thought some of you might like to know and have that peace of mind just in case, not sure if this is common knowledge.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The shifter is mechanical, the brake interlock device thingy is a physical solenoid that prevents shifting out of park when the brakes are not pressed. I've never heard of a gate that opens towards the car. do you have any photos?
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    The shifter is mechanical, the brake interlock device thingy is a physical solenoid that prevents shifting out of park when the brakes are not pressed. I've never heard of a gate that opens towards the car. do you have any photos?
    I don't have pictures, but my car was in neutral and not park. It went into reverse with the gas down and no foot on the brake, yet it didn't engage into gear until the brake was pressed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Really not sure why the gate would open towards the car, I don't remember there being any signs or anything but I could be wrong.

I'm able to shift 2014-2019 and 2023 Mirages from neutral to drive or reverse, drive to reverse, and reverse to drive without touching the brake. I've never tried this while revving up the engine at the same time though, so I guess that's a major factor. They made this relatively idiot proof. Hold the throttle to the floor in neutral and it'll rev to 6000rpm for a second then drop down to a safer rpm. Same goes for driving with your foot on the gas and brake at the same time. It'll eventually cut back power.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

But wait, I forgot about that one time I repeatedly shifted between drive and reverse with my foot to the floor. Things didn't go well, maybe the same thing happened to mine and I just didn't notice because we were in panic mode lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Same goes for driving with your foot on the gas and brake at the same time. It'll eventually cut back power.
    I believe it only does this if the gas pedal is depressed before the brakes, if you press brake pedal then gas pedal then it may think you are doing a hill start or launch and allow it? dunno.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    But wait, I forgot about that one time I repeatedly shifted between drive and reverse with my foot to the floor. Things didn't go well, maybe the same thing happened to mine and I just didn't notice because we were in panic mode lol
    Why were you about to fall off a cliff when you went on those trails?