Thread: 2 questions about my new (Used) 2021 Mirage ES

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question 2 questions about my new (Used) 2021 Mirage ES

Hello all,

I have a couple questions about my newly purchased 2021 Mirage ES (Bought it at 46k miles - still under warranty - thankfully).

1. The volume knob on the audio-system has fallen off. The little stub (on which the know sits) still exists - so I can still control the volume. This is the OEM audio-system. Is there a parts-diagram I can use to re-order it? Is this something they'd cover under warranty?

2. The party I bought it from just had a single key. I ordered a new blank key off eBay - but I can't find instructions to program the key-fob? I'll get the key cut from a locksmith - but any tips here?

I'm located in the Bay-Area, California.

Thanks!
    -Y

Quote Originally Posted by yagya View Post
    Hello all,

I have a couple questions about my newly purchased 2021 Mirage ES (Bought it at 46k miles - still under warranty - thankfully).

1. The volume knob on the audio-system has fallen off. The little stub (on which the know sits) still exists - so I can still control the volume. This is the OEM audio-system. Is there a parts-diagram I can use to re-order it? Is this something they'd cover under warranty?

2. The party I bought it from just had a single key. I ordered a new blank key off eBay - but I can't find instructions to program the key-fob? I'll get the key cut from a locksmith - but any tips here?

Thanks!
    -Y
    Welcome!
    I don't know if a broken radio knob would be covered under warranty, I'd think no but it wouldn't hurt to call and ask. Same goes for the finding the knob itself, the dealer has parts diagrams and should be able to tell you if it's available separately. However my experience with the parts and service department at my nearby dealer has been less than stellar. Some have had better luck.

If they can't help you maybe try wandering through a pick and pull yard and pick up a handful from radio's that look simlar if you can find one. Or try something like alliexpress or ebay?

I can't help with programming, I believe if you have two working keys you can program a 3rd yourself but that won't help you. That does seem to be a US only thing that doesn't work on Canada spec cars...
    These cars can be a pita to program keys for, at least up here. We ordered some new keys from Amazon and tried 2 different dealers to program them. One was able to program the transponder to the car so it would start but the keyless entry part didn't work. The other dealer said from the start they probably couldn't program aftermarket keys. They couldn't but still charged an hour of labor. In the end we had to buy keys from the dealer and have them program them. Hopefully, you have better luck!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

yagya (11-14-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,760 Times in 2,157 Posts
    Hello all,

Thanks!
    -Y
    A third key can be programmed, if you have two working keys. I made a third key for that reason alone, but I believe you are totally out of luck. You will have to purchase a 2nd programmed key through the dealer most likely.

I wouldn't buy a car without a 2nd key unless they are willing to take $500 off their asking price. If they don't like that, they can provide the 2nd working key. I know this is after the fact for you, but I am just thinking out loud to myself here.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 708 Posts
    In these parts we have the same problems with keys. However a large local lock and key company copied my only key, and now I have two again.
    Copying means the actual metal key has to be cut, and the built in chip needs to be programmed. The copied key cost about €60.- (US$ 60.-) and they had to order the blank key incl. built in chip before copying. It took six weeks for the blank to be made in the factory and arrive at the key store.
    At the Mitsu dealer I would have paid multiple times more.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    In these parts we have the same problems with keys. However a large local lock and key company copied my only key, and now I have two again.
    Copying means the actual metal key has to be cut, and the built in chip needs to be programmed. The copied key cost about €60.- (US$ 60.-) and they had to order the blank key incl. built in chip before copying. It took six weeks for the blank to be made in the factory and arrive at the key store.
    At the Mitsu dealer I would have paid multiple times more.
    For those Mirage owners that have two keys, I would really suggest making a third one. A blank key cost me about $10 a few years ago. It's probably more today. ACE Hardware cut it for about $3. For under $15, I have a key that will unlock my Mirage manually & start it.

If I should lose a key now, I have the ability to make another in the same manner. If I didn't have the third key, I would be out of luck. The procedure for programming your own blank key in the owner's manual works, but it takes two keys!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    For those Mirage owners that have two keys, I would really suggest making a third one. A blank key cost me about $10 a few years ago. It's probably more today. ACE Hardware cut it for about $3. For under $15, I have a key that will unlock my Mirage manually & start it.

If I should lose a key now, I have the ability to make another in the same manner. If I didn't have the third key, I would be out of luck. The procedure for programming your own blank key in the owner's manual works, but it takes two keys!
    Is that not a US-only procedure? I'm pretty sure it doesn't apply up here and Foama has a different-looking key altogether.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks all!

Basic question - If I take my blank key (the one I bought on eBay) and go to Ace Hardware to have them create a duplicate key, what will it work for and what won't it work for?

Will it work to unlock the doors? To start the car/engine?

What additionally does the 'chip programming' in the key enable?

Also any other advice on the Audio-System knob?

TIA!

-G

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks all!

Basic question - If I take my blank key (the one I bought on eBay) and go to Ace Hardware to have them create a duplicate key, what will it work for and what won't it work for?

Will it work to unlock the doors? To start the car/engine?

What additionally does the 'chip programming' in the key enable?

Also any other advice on the Audio-System knob?

TIA!

-G
    ACE Hardware cut my blank key. If you have two keys, you can make your Mirage program a blank 3rd key without any extra programming tools.

It takes two working keys to make a 3rd key (following the procedure in the owner's manual). Thus, you are out of luck. My suggestion is for those who have two keys already. I would suggest making an extra 3rd one. Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead you.

I had ACE Hardware cut & program a key for a 2016 Ford Focus (driving education car), but it cost $85 to purchase their key, have them cut it, and program it to the car in their parking lot. It took about 10 minutes for them to program it.

Can they do that for a Mirage? That I do not know? You will have to ask them. Otherwise, you are stuck going to a locksmith or a dealer.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Just open the working key you have on hand and remove the chip from it
    stick it under the plastic near the ignition
    just go to any hardware store and get a double of your key...

These chipped key are a nightmare for the end users and don't prevent any theft, real theft can get your car in less than 30 seconds...

And mirage aren't really desirable car....