Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I supposed to have fog lights?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Am I supposed to have fog lights?

I have a 2023 ES manual (so, the most basic model possible), and it has the fog lights, and it has the switch, but they don't work. Are they supposed to work or is this some sort of joke where they are just for looks because it is an ES?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If you have the fog light housing they should at least do something. I am not sure about 2015 in Canada but I know some people in some parts of the world, the base model has fog light housings that only have 5 watt DRL bulbs inside them. You can test if you only have DRL lights by putting the car in drive, turning off all lights and seeing if the "fog lights" come on.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yeah sorry for the repetitive post....I should have done more forum searching first. I definitely have the weird Canadian drl-instead-of-fog-light feature. Such an odd quirk.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to t_c_c For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-20-2023)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 699 Posts
    DRL's in Europe have 13W bulbs in each. They are placed where otherwise foglights would be. DRL's have been mandatory here ever since 2011.
    Fog lights are not really much help and seldom needed. DRL's are much more useful. They also help avoid head-on crashes.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have the same model year car and the same issue.

There is some kind of bug where the fog lights and the headlights cannot turn on at the same time. Once you turn the headlights on the fog lights turn off.

In addition to adding cruise control, I am also going to try to change the ecu setting that creates this restriction.

The best part of fog lights is having them on with the headlights!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    @sunbeam, the restriction should be only for having fog lights and high beams on. I think its a USA regulation.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post

There is some kind of bug where the fog lights and the headlights cannot turn on at the same time. Once you turn the headlights on the fog lights turn off.

In addition to adding cruise control, I am also going to try to change the ecu setting that creates this restriction.

See post #3.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,143 Posts

I don't follow? It's my understanding that you don't have fog lights. You have day running lights that are on whenever your headlights are OFF, because DRLs are mandatory in Canada.

Headlights turned on, DRLs turn off.

Just use low beam in fog. Fog lights are a bit of a joke.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

BigMW (11-19-2023)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

As per specs on this page, fog lights is available for the GT variant

https://mirage2023.mitsubishi-motors.ca/Default.aspx

As you say, fog lights are installed in your car and the switch at the stalk lever is also there. You can check if the assigned relay and fuse are installed too.. and if that's the case it is highly probable that your car has the feature disabled at the ETACS-ECU.

I would suggest you buy a J2534 cable & download the MMCodingWriter app. You can then try to have a look at the ETACS-ECU settings for DRL & Fog lights.. maybe you can try to change them.. might be worth trying.

Name:  ETACS -Fogs2.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  60.5 KB

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...free-No-limits

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,143 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    As per specs on this page, fog lights is available for the GT variant

https://mirage2023.mitsubishi-motors.ca/Default.aspx

As you say, fog lights are installed in your car and the switch at the stalk lever is also there. You can check if the assigned relay and fuse are installed too.. and if that's the case it is highly probable that your car has the feature disabled at the ETACS-ECU.

I would suggest you buy a J2534 cable & download the MMCodingWriter app. You can then try to have a look at the ETACS-ECU settings for DRL & Fog lights.. maybe you can try to change them.. might be worth trying.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...free-No-limits
    All Mirages have a switch for the fog lights. Even those with no lights (fog or DRL) in the States have the fog light switch.

It's my understanding that day running lights are mandatory in Canada. Why would anyone give that up for fog lights?

I have to believe DRL extends the life of one's headlights. If I live where they are mandatory, I'd rather have the DRL. Giving them up would seem like a down grade to me.