Thread: Air filter intake bolts stuck

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Air filter intake bolts stuck

Hello all! This is my first post and I've been a reader since I got my G4 in 2017.

I am to replace my spark plugs and my current odometer is at 69000+ because I think I am losing power and fuel economy is not what it used to.

Losing power: Sometimes my car accelerates slowly and sometimes its like its pulling back before it "changes gear". If there's more problem than my spark plugs please do tell.

Fuel economy: Most of my driving is within the city taking the kids to school about 8 km back and forth. Sometimes there are errands and office work which is only once a week and at night (about 40 km back and forth). I calculate manually everytime I fill up by dividing by B mileage to the liters added to my car. Most of the time its just 8.1 - 8.4 km/liter. Any issues I may be having please do tell.

But my main problem now is the air intake bolts being stuck. As I try to unscrew them the rubber bushing (Part no. 1500A401) or air cleaner body insulator (accdg. to mitsubishipartswarehouse.com) is rotating with it as well. I also observed that everytime I rotate the bolt it sways. I am not just unscrewing it limitlessly but it leans to the right. This is also true to the bolt on the housing though I don't know if it leans as well. As for the rear one, I haven't unscrew it yet. Is there a way to fix this? I already nearly destroyed the rubber bushing but still intact on the bolt yet I can rotate it without rotating the bolt. Any suggestions on how to unscrew it? The bolts are easy find but these rubber bushings are difficult to find and a bit expensive.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 708 Posts
    Somebody cross-threaded the bolts.
    Good luck!

That sucks! Is the metal threaded insert in the valve cover spinning or is the bolt just stuck to the hollow spacer inside the bushing?
    The rearmost bolt threads into a metal bracket. One way or another you'll have to get them out unless you can pry the air cleaner off the bushings without breaking it.

I've used something similar to this in fuel tanks before. https://www.rona.ca/en/product/relia...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

BarneyClown (11-16-2023)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    That sucks! Is the metal threaded insert in the valve cover spinning or is the bolt just stuck to the hollow spacer inside the bushing?
    The rearmost bolt threads into a metal bracket. One way or another you'll have to get them out unless you can pry the air cleaner off the bushings without breaking it.

I've used something similar to this in fuel tanks before. https://www.rona.ca/en/product/relia...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    The threaded insert in the valve cover spins together with the bolt and I cannot pry the air intake out even with the rubber bushing off. I tried holding/stopping the insulator from rotating but it is too smooth that none of my pliers and vise grips can do the job. I already nearly destroyed the air intake holders that I just gave up that further more try might really break it. I tried drilling the bolt itself to unscrew it using a torx but it is so hard I just put a dimple in it. Thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by BarneyClown View Post
    The threaded insert in the valve cover spins together with the bolt and I cannot pry the air intake out even with the rubber bushing off. I tried holding/stopping the insulator from rotating but it is too smooth that none of my pliers and vise grips can do the job. I already nearly destroyed the air intake holders that I just gave up that further more try might really break it. I tried drilling the bolt itself to unscrew it using a torx but it is so hard I just put a dimple in it. Thanks for the reply!
    I guess I'd be on the hunt for another valve cover if you really want to replace your spark plugs. You could drill or carefully grind off the heads of the bolts then figure out a different way to secure the air cleaner with a bunjee cord temporarily. If the inserts for the air cleaner are spinning theres a chance the ones holding the coils in place might do the same thing. It could snowball into needing new coils, bolts and valve cover. I've never ran into this problem on these cars but things must rust differently over there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-22-2023)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Just an update:

I brought it to the mechanic and said that replacing the valve cover is the best solution and is also the only way I can replace the air cleaner assembly. Yet, he was able to replace the spark plugs without doing so by simply unscrewing the rear bolt and rotate the air cleaner exposing the coils. The valve cover and air cleaner assembly would cost me around 8000 PhP or around 145 USD.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BarneyClown For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-29-2023)