Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2017 Mirage cvt high rpm until 60mph/100kph

I'm partially doing this for myself too. I'm sure most of these cars will still be going in another 5-10 years and my memory is only gonna get worse lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

BigMW (12-08-2023),inuvik (12-08-2023),ThunderG (12-08-2023)

Still picking away at this one. What a pita these 2017+ cats are to replace. I got it all unbolted but could not get it outta there from the bottom. The only thing I didn't try was removing the dogbone engine mount at the bottom and try to rock the engine forwards. I ended up dropping the subframe down a bit and squeezed it out. I left the front left bolt in place cause I didn't want it to come down to far and pull the shaft out of the steering column. I should have removed the engine mount first, I was rushing...I'm gonna have to remove it anyways to get the subframe lined up properly cause the engine pushed it back a little.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

BigMW (12-09-2023),inuvik (12-09-2023)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

BigMW (12-09-2023),daleWV (12-09-2023),inuvik (12-09-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 1,093 Posts
    By, "Great Success" does that mean it was the catalyst plugging up the exhaust? Because I experienced that one time on a 1983 Mazda RX-7. And it drove an awful lot like you described. Drove nice. Especially when you really wanted to go, it seemed to fall on its face.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    By, "Great Success" does that mean it was the catalyst plugging up the exhaust? Because I experienced that one time on a 1983 Mazda RX-7. And it drove an awful lot like you described. Drove nice. Especially when you really wanted to go, it seemed to fall on its face.
    Yeah, that's all it was...Plugged cat.
    It's been probably 12-15 years since I've seen a plugged cat. It was on a 90's chevy truck. After comparing the old one to the replacement one(also old but had about half the kms), I was pretty confident that was the issue. The honey comb stuff in the cat must have broke loose, on the old one I could see it pretty clearly. On the new one, the stuff was tucked up higher.
    I'm considering punching out the cats on my side by side now, it's been a little doggy now and then....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (12-11-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 1,093 Posts
    I bought a $50 minicat and put on my son's car that is running catless at the moment (RX8). Even after the $50 minicat, I was still getting a code. I asked the $50 minicat company and they're getting all "we can't talk about that" bullcrap, even though I told him my son only drives his car at Talledega in the Winston Cup races (or whatever they call that caution flag / pit-lane "racing" fiasco now).

Recently I bought a $9.95 minicat through Walmart online, yanked the $50 minicat out, and swapped in the $10 minicat in. No more codes (so far). I'm thinking about telling the $50 minicat company that I'm going to provide feedback on their website stating my opinion is for customers to save $40 and buy the $9.95 minicat through Wally World ... especially since they're all "can't talk about problems with the system" bullcrap.

Since buying the $9.95 minicat and installing it on the RX8, my mind has been wondering how the Blueberry would run / sound without its cat. However, I won't be removing the cat until the warranty is gone, that would be years from now. And even then, if it is running good, I still wouldn't remove it. I won't remove it unless it's busted. But I still wonder how it would run though (assuming it doesn't throw codes due to the minicat). Would it explode off the line and turn into a Viper ACR on the interstate without a cat? From 78 hp to 400 hp? Being facetious yes ... but I wonder about it. Mainly the sound. I think the 3-Tapper sounds great, I'm perfectly fine with 78hp ---> 85 hp (if that). As for the sound, I wouldn't want it fart-can loud. Removing the cat and leaving the muffler, the sound might be oh so sweet. And launch off the line like a John Force Funny-Car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)