Thread: New to the forum

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

New to the forum

Hello! I'm new to the forum but have had a Mirage since 2016. It's a 2015 ES CVT, 1.2L. I just reached 80k miles. Overall no complaints and few repairs needed so I'm pretty happy with it.

Thanks for all the forum insight. I griped for years about the constantly resetting MPG tracker before I found the threads here about the hidden lifetime MPG tracker.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to esromj For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-19-2023)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Glad you could join us!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,857 Times in 2,154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by esromj View Post
    Hello! I'm new to the forum but have had a Mirage since 2016. It's a 2015 ES CVT, 1.2L. I just reached 80k miles. Overall no complaints and few repairs needed so I'm pretty happy with it.

Thanks for all the forum insight. I griped for years about the constantly resetting MPG tracker before I found the threads here about the hidden lifetime MPG tracker.
    Hello esromj and welcome to the forum.

Where did you get your Mirage?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,759 Times in 2,156 Posts
    Welcome!

This forum is a nice place to hang out!

Country
    Ireland
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Hi all, I just bought Mirage 2013 automatic 1.0. Japanese import. Unfortunately someone try to steal it! Broke the ignition barrel😢
    I live in Ireland Mitsubishi said they can order one for me so I’m left on my own!!

Any help would be deeply appreciated guys

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,106 Posts
    ...I found the threads here about the hidden lifetime MPG tracker.
    I seriously doubt the B Average MPG is lifetime. My guess is that it is over either the last 1,000 or last 5,000 miles. Then it begins to overwrite. I don't know that factually, I'm speculating.

And I'm glad you've joined in too!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Welcome, esromj!

I griped for years about the constantly resetting MPG tracker before I found the threads here about the hidden lifetime MPG tracker.
    It's a truly idiotic piece of user interface design to hide that "B" gauge behind a non-intuitive, non-standard button click. Whoever wrote that code should have been demoted.

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I seriously doubt the B Average MPG is lifetime. My guess is that it is over either the last 1,000 or last 5,000 miles. Then it begins to overwrite. I don't know that factually, I'm speculating.
    My Honda Insight had a "lifetime" gauge. I don't know why the Mirage's wouldn't be lifetime also? It's just 2 (or 3) numbers - no technical reason not to continue storing them until reset.

As a testament to how fuel efficiency-focused the original Insight was, it actually had FIVE (5) factory MPG displays!

1) auto-resetting "A" gauge like the Mirage; 2) and 3) two user-resettable "trip/segment MPG" displays, like the Mirage's "B" gauge; 4) the lifetime MPG; and 5) a graphical "instant" MPG display.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Welcome aboard.Hope you enjoy as much as we all do.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    It's a truly idiotic piece of user interface design to hide that "B" gauge behind a non-intuitive, non-standard button click. Whoever wrote that code should have been demoted.
    Hehehehe. Got a good chuckle out of that. My comparison is/was Toyota. A truly phenomenal place to be an engineer. The worked very hard to NOT hire any democrats, er ... I mean dumbasses. The only way that code got through is to have been reviewed and agreed upon up the chain. So ... either the whole chain realized something we may not realize, or they possibly could have all been a bit dim.

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    My Honda Insight had a "lifetime" gauge. I don't know why the Mirage's wouldn't be lifetime also?
    Data storage. I'm not saying I'm right about it, don't get me wrong. I could be wrong. I'm wrong every damn day ... The Warden makes that clear. However, I think it was a vehicle I own(ed) that I was reading about this very thing in the owner's manual. And the owner's manual had a blurb in there indicating that at some certain mileage (seems like it was in the 4,000 miles range), the Avg Mpg data would begin to overwrite, just because the capacity of the computer that was providing that data was small.

Both auto manufacturers I designed for liked to make EVERY SINGLE part of the vehicle be as inexpensive as possible. They would make a change to save $0.02. Toyota would save $0.02 a vehicle after some "decision matrix" process indicated the impact to the customer was either none or unsubstantial. Toyota rejected many change ideas under my responsibility because there was even the slightest potential customers may find some aspect of the new part / shape / process / whatever to be unfavorable. Hyundai-Kia would make a change for $0.02 at any time for any reason customer be damned. Hyundai-Kia would make anti-rattle material out of cow manure if they thought they could save $0.02 a vehicle. $0.02 a vehicle x 350,000 vehicles a year is = $7,000 a year savings. They'd do it all day, every day, send workers in on Sunday to do it.

So I would imagine that goes for the hardware that effects data capacity of this fuel mileage thing in the Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-19-2023)