Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite fuels

My favorite is gas from the junkyard. River water is a close second.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-02-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bear View Post
    My favorite is E85
    You run E85 in your Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Just a FYI, you may want to test to verify the fuel you are getting is actually 0 ethanol.. I had a couple commercial customers this past summer with carb issues in their lawnmowers & when I asked, they said they were getting "High Test Ethanol Free" fuel from a local station. When I questioned it & tested it, it was 10+% ethanol.. Just saying, be careful,, what you see posted on the pump may not be what the truck (or the owner of the station) has put in the tank....
    Some chainsaw shops will even mention the type of gas pumps. Some gas pumps may share the same hose for 3 to 4 different options. If that's the case, you may want to run some gas in your vehicle's gas tank before filling your gas can to take home. Otherwise some of the leftover ethanol gas in the hose may enter your gas can.

The place I buy my 91/E0 gas has 4 choice & 4 hoses for each pump. Each pump has 87/E10, 88/E15, 91/E0, & the fourth option will be E85 or diesel. Since diesel can be a choice, separate hoses are a must.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Here we get E95 in either 5% ethanol or 10% ethanol, plus a few exotic fuels that are much more expensive and almost nobody buys. "Top tier" fuels are unknown here, because all must comply with the laws and frequent sample tests made, and results posted.

My favourite is E95 at the cheapest pump, no different stuff than from the more expensive places.

Carbon tax has doubled starting 2024, so all fossil fuels have gone up again. My yearly hot water and heating bill will increase to about 1/2 a months average wage. Electricity now costs slightly under 40 Euro-cents for one kWh, and that plus the obligatory monthly connection fee and taxes

6. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

mohammad (01-02-2024)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    You run E85 in your Mirage?

I don't yet own one so no. I expect by spring or early summer to acquire one. My pickup is Flex Fuel and there are conversion kits for some years of Mirage. I've contacted a vendor. Kits are available for the GenV Space Star but not the 2024 Mirage. If it can be fitted I will.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The maritimes are some kind of magical place of ethanol free fuels.

All Irving Supreme (91) octane, Costco 91, Shell 91, and Wilsons 91 I have personally tested as ethanol free (E0).

Coop, Race-Trac are also supposed to be E0 although I have never filled there, Petro-Canada I never fill up at unless it is the E0 94 Super from Quebec.

I agree with all the posters, I try to test the gas myself to check if it truly is E0 using a $8 tester from amazon.

Also, try to fill my generator with fuel that has been pumped first due to remainder in hose.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
    The maritimes are some kind of magical place of ethanol free fuels.

All Irving Supreme (91) octane, Costco 91, Shell 91, and Wilsons 91 I have personally tested as ethanol free (E0).

Coop, Race-Trac are also supposed to be E0 although I have never filled there, Petro-Canada I never fill up at unless it is the E0 94 Super from Quebec.

I agree with all the posters, I try to test the gas myself to check if it truly is E0 using a $8 tester from amazon.

Also, try to fill my generator with fuel that has been pumped first due to remainder in hose.
    People either love it or hate it. I get that. Most who use it do so for 'performance' reasons. They need that octane for a boosted application or something.

Me? I like it for its cleanliness.
    Last edited by Grumpy Bear; 01-02-2024 at 01:39 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bear View Post
    People either love it or hate it. I get that. Most who use it do so for 'performance' reasons. They need that octane for a booted application or something.

Me? I like it for its cleanliness.
    But you're going to burn more of it!

"Due to ethanol's lower energy content, FFVs operating on E85 get roughly 15% to 27% fewer miles per gallon than when operating on regular gasoline, depending on the ethanol content. Regular gasoline typically contains about 10% ethanol."

I grew up on a farm. It takes a lot of fuel (large diesel tractors) to plant & harvest corn. Ethanol doesn't grow on trees.

I doubt E85 is doing much to save the planet.

"Ethanol is worse for climate change than gasoline, new report says. The process to harvest and produce corn-based ethanol creates more harmful emissions than normal gasoline, according to a new report published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Science." Feb 16, 2022

Can't argue the science!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

BigMW (01-02-2024),inuvik (01-02-2024),mohammad (01-02-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    But you're going to burn more of it!

"Due to ethanol's lower energy content, FFVs operating on E85 get roughly 15% to 27% fewer miles per gallon than when operating on regular gasoline, depending on the ethanol content. Regular gasoline typically contains about 10% ethanol."

I grew up on a farm. It takes a lot of fuel (large diesel tractors) to plant & harvest corn. Ethanol doesn't grow on trees.

I doubt E85 is doing much to save the planet.

"Ethanol is worse for climate change than gasoline, new report says. The process to harvest and produce corn-based ethanol creates more harmful emissions than normal gasoline, according to a new report published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Science." Feb 16, 2022

Can't argue the science!

I never argue science. Science says if we all drove 55 mph it would cut emissions about 20-25%. I lived in the time of the double nickel. People didn't obey it then and won't obey a stop sign or a passing zone now no matter how much it benefits them.

I'm aware of the increased usage. I own a flex fuel pickup that I run E85 in after years of gasoline. Track every gallon and every cent. Price per mile as it turns out is about the same. 12 cents a mile. Marketing has this figured out. Use 25% more? Price is 25% cheaper.... most of the time.

If you ever try it, you are going to be stunned how long your oil stays clean. How long it takes to deplete the acid package. How little carbon is in the motor anywhere. Wear is not an issue either. This stuff can double the life a motor. Cut manufacturing carbon in half by cutting the need for half the vehicles produced. There is some science.

I found the same with propane/lpg. The oil stays nice and clean. I haven't followed prices lately but it used to be way cheaper than gas but less efficient.
    But I won't be selling my vehicles anytime soon to save the planet...

I thought the corn fuel wasn't great for the environment.

"The research, which was funded in part by the National Wildlife Federation and U.S. Department of Energy, found that ethanol is likely at least 24 percent more carbon-intensive than gasoline because of emissions resulting from land use changes to grow corn, along with processing and combustion."

https://www.producer.com/news/corn-b...d%20combustion.

We could go back to coal fired steam engines and just cut the amount of vehicles, emissions problem solved!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)