Thread: P0746 error code, sign of trouble?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

P0796 error code, sign of trouble?

Does anyone happen to know what the causes of a p0796 error code could be. My scanner simply says "solenoid C stuck/off". I saw some other posts about the issue and didn't know if this could be an indication of huge trouble.

I bought my 2014 Mirage DE used in 2021 with 85k miles and currently have 123k. I've taken it on road trips and normally don't go over 80 mph @ 3.8k rpm considering I have roof cargo rails and a carrier.

I was driving today back from the Buffalo and my Mirage had issues shifting, started slipping, and the transmission is now in limp mode, and towed it. Got an oil change and fluid check just 3 days ago.

Very confused considering this car has been mostly a tank, but the previous owner could have really degraded the "remaining life" of the car.

If anyone has common issues please inform me.

I will post links to photos below if they load.

Last edited by Econobuck; 01-10-2024 at 03:20 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,502 Times in 1,094 Posts
    Sounds like a question for SUPER FUMMINS. Hopefully this is something that is not too horrible. I know nearly nothing about an automagic / CVT transmission. I've read this is a problem with the line pressure control system, input speed sensor or output speed sensor.

Not knowing where those items are, I would have to guess the line pressure control system is maybe something that might be remedied by replacing the valve body. The other sensors I doubt are part of the valve body, but know nothing about the difficulty to replace them.

Good luck.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Econobuck View Post
    Does anyone happen to know what the causes of a p0796 error code could be. My scanner simply says "solenoid C stuck/off". I saw some other posts about the issue and didn't know if this could be an indication of huge trouble.

I bought my 2014 Mirage DE used in 2021 with 85k miles and currently have 123k. I've taken it on road trips and normally don't go over 80 mph @ 3.8k rpm considering I have roof cargo rails and a carrier.

I was driving today back from the Buffalo and my Mirage had issues shifting, started slipping, and the transmission is now in limp mode, and towed it. Got an oil change and fluid check just 3 days ago.

Very confused considering this car has been mostly a tank, but the previous owner could have really degraded the "remaining life" of the car.

If anyone has common issues please inform me.

I will post links to photos below if they load.
    Have you ever had the cvt/transmission fluid changed? What color is it? I guess that doesn't matter much anymore. My 2014 threw that code for the previous owner of my car. It acted up a time or two and he didn't trust it anymore and only used it for short around town after that. Then he sold it to me, even delivered it from over an hour away. Said it drove fine lol. I ended up driving it for the next 6 months and only noticed that it would surge at highway speeds sometimes. I ended up replacing the cvt(after gernading the engine) and tore apart the old one. After finding nothing obvious I'm thinking the issues it was having could have been the valve body.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Have you ever had the cvt/transmission fluid changed? What color is it? I guess that doesn't matter much anymore. My 2014 threw that code for the previous owner of my car. It acted up a time or two and he didn't trust it anymore and only used it for short around town after that. Then he sold it to me, even delivered it from over an hour away. Said it drove fine lol. I ended up driving it for the next 6 months and only noticed that it would surge at highway speeds sometimes. I ended up replacing the cvt(after gernading the engine) and tore apart the old one. After finding nothing obvious I'm thinking the issues it was having could have been the valve body.
    I had it towed to a certified Mitsubishi dealer considering the situation was bad timing and the car was in limp mode. They told me the transmission fluid was red, and indicated that most likely ATF fluid was the source of the issue. It's strange because the routine oil change place used Valvoline ATF which is has CCVT compatible written on the back. The dealer said both the engine and transmission are damaged and in need of replacement, which would cost $10 thousand. I will probably scrap the car considering it's age and it's value is less than what repairs would cost. Just stumped considering it went out at 123k, but maybe the oil place or previous owner expedited that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Unfortunately it looks to be a transmission and engine problem. Wrong fluid was used and over the course of 3 days/ 700 miles combined driving I guess it just went out under pressure. I would keep the mirage but can't justify $10k in repairs considering I have to travel often for business.

If it meets the J4 Spec then that shouldn't be an issue. There was someone else on the forum that I thought threw the same code after someone put atf in their car but I don't think they ever made a followup.

$10k is crazy but I've seen more spend on less worthy things.
    Used cvt's can be found relatively cheap, well under $1000. And I would guess it might cost another $700-1000 to have a shop install it if that. It might be worth looking into that. Cvt will fit 2014-2020(probably newer) Same goes for the engine.
    Car-part.com

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)