Thread: changed my mind about neutral logic

cvt connoisseur, of sorts OrganicFoxes's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

changed my mind about neutral logic

I monitor my engine and transmission with CVTz50, here is what I have learned about neutral idle logic with the cvt. When I am at a traffic light the engine uses either .1 or .2 gallons per hour. Never thought about it to much until today. I started looking at the information with neural idle logic on and with it off. When I come to a stop and don't creep up at all (neutral logic is on, or in use, you know what i mean) the app says i'm using .1Gal/H and if I creep forward it goes back into gear and shows .2Gal/H. I mean think about it, that's twice as much gas being used when stopped. Is this going to get you way better gas mileage in the city, probably not, but it is something to think about when driving. I have definitely changed my habits when I come to a stop, I now just try to stay still and not creep forward. You can also just put it in neutral, does the same thing but you might be putting more wear on your trans by doing that. Not fully certain of that but it would make sense. If you are at a really long light or a train crossing and you did creep forward, you might as well just put in it in neutral, not for every stop ofc. I also noticed it doesn't make that big of a difference when you have bigger power draw items on like the headlights and aircon. When I have the music turned up quite far and the headlights + fog lights, it just stays at .2Gal/H when in neutral.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If your garage only shows 1/10ths of a gallon per hour isnt it possible that you idle at 0.149 gallons per hour and the gauge rounds that down to 0.1 then with the torque converter engaged you could idle at 0.16 gallons per hour and have that rounded upto 0.2?

I think the real solution is to import one of those fancy Mirage engines with the auto start-stop that Mitsubishi refuses to bring to north america.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

cvt connoisseur, of sorts OrganicFoxes's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    If your garage only shows 1/10ths of a gallon per hour isnt it possible that you idle at 0.149 gallons per hour and the gauge rounds that down to 0.1 then with the torque converter engaged you could idle at 0.16 gallons per hour and have that rounded upto 0.2?

I think the real solution is to import one of those fancy Mirage engines with the auto start-stop that Mitsubishi refuses to bring to north america.
    Could be, wish it showed a few more digits. Then again maybe I am overthinking super smaller improvements. This is probably one of those weird things made just for those epa numbers, gal burned per year or whatever it is. If its a feature I already have, I might as well use it. Didn't they have to add auto start stop to just sell it in some countries? I am not sure but I remember seeing that somewhere.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,143 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OrganicFoxes View Post
    Could be, wish it showed a few more digits. Then again maybe I am overthinking super smaller improvements. This is probably one of those weird things made just for those epa numbers, gal burned per year or whatever it is. If its a feature I already have, I might as well use it. Didn't they have to add auto start stop to just sell it in some countries? I am not sure but I remember seeing that somewhere.
    I drive my parents around in their GMC Terrain quite often. It has AS&G, & it doesn't have a switch to turn it off.

I find myself stopping & creeping forward at times, & it renders the feature useless. You stop, the engine goes off, you creep forward, it starts back up, and it keeps running. I'd rather not have the feature.

If I am sitting somewhere like a railroad track crossing, I'd rather turn my car off manually.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (01-20-2024)