Thread: Rattling Noise coming from underbody?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Rattling Noise coming from underbody?

Hi all! It's been below-0 (Fahrenheit) temperatures for the last week and my 2015 Mirage ES (48,000 miles) has developed a rattling noise coming from underneath the car. This started happening yesterday afternoon, but when I drove it that morning there was no rattling happening.

I tried to search the forum pages to see what it might be and saw a few posts about exhaust hangers, brake lines rattling, exhaust seals, and heat shield. Do any of these sound like the likely culprit in my case? Here's a video of the noise:
    https://youtube.com/shorts/iZCAktG4J...or8015KOfrnDjR

I'm going to be jacking up the car this afternoon to take a peek so hoping someone may be able to provide some insight before then. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by oybee View Post
    Hi all! It's been below-0 (Fahrenheit) temperatures for the last week and my 2015 Mirage ES (48,000 miles) has developed a rattling noise coming from underneath the car. This started happening yesterday afternoon, but when I drove it that morning there was no rattling happening.

I tried to search the forum pages to see what it might be and saw a few posts about exhaust hangers, brake lines rattling, exhaust seals, and heat shield. Do any of these sound like the likely culprit in my case? Here's a video of the noise:
    https://youtube.com/shorts/iZCAktG4J...or8015KOfrnDjR

I'm going to be jacking up the car this afternoon to take a peek so hoping someone may be able to provide some insight before then. Thank you!
    Check the heat shields on the exhaust. Sounds like that’s all it is. Sometimes they’re hard to see where the break is but yours should be easy to find. Can either remove it altogether or haywire or use some hose clamps to snug it down.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Okay sweet, that was one of my first guesses as I had some heat shield squeaking noises a few years back haha. Will definitely take a look at that this afternoon and see what I find!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to oybee For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-20-2024)

Post back what you find. I had three in the shop this month with similar rattles. All caused by heat shields flopping around on the rear cat.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-20-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Post back what you find. I had three in the shop this month with similar rattles. All caused by heat shields flopping around on the rear cat.
    This is exactly what it was! The two rivets on the driver's side of the heat shield rusted off which left the flange of the heat shield flapping against the other half.

Tossed two hose clamps around it on each end and everything is back to normal. 5" hose clamps would've been perfect, but the hardware store only had 6" so we snugged them up and then removed the excess clamp that was ratcheted through. Here's a video of my temporary solution, sorry for lack of audio I was talking to my brother and it wasn't relevant to the exhaust issue lmao https://youtube.com/shorts/D3TOF7-qF...XUpGe7dsYr2sDD

Ideally I will go back in and toss new bolts in at some point, but will probably wait until it's warmer out to do so.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to oybee For This Useful Post:

mohammad (01-21-2024)