Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first brand new car, first mirage!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

My first brand new car, first mirage!

Honestly, I am glad I got one at the end of the era, it's diamond white it's an es, I've never once felt the need to make any account in any forum. This is it.

I am waiting eagerly for the dealer to call me to come pick it up, they are waiting for it to be dropped off and then they will do 3m on the front and the gold protection package undercoat fabric and whatever else.

I really love this car, and I wish I was smart enough and knowledgeable enough to own them my entire 9 years of driving.

I will post a pic when I pick it up

I want this car to last 1 million kilometers.

Any tips are lovely! Thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by 2024mirage; 02-05-2024 at 04:52 AM.

Welcome! Congrats on your new Mirage.

Try to keep the cvt fluid changed. I try for around 50,000kms.

Pick up some Weathertech floor mats, they're pricey but worth it imo. The oem ones suck. The carpet in these cars isn't rubber-backed so water/snow will wick through and eventually have a wading pool in the rear floor unless you're careful/lucky. Weathertechs will help prevent that from happening. Any Mitsubishi branded floor mat that I've seen sucks in comparison.

If you get colder than -20c consider getting a block heater. They're relatively easy to install yourself. It's better to do it sooner than later. It's just a metal rod that gets shoved into a hold. Simple job, but can be a little tricky to find the hole.

And... I'd look into rust prevention. Avoid what the dealer tries to sell and other rubberized undercoatings. I'm sure someone will suggest something that's supposed to work.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

2024mirage (02-19-2024),OrganicFoxes (01-25-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2024mirage View Post
    I really love this car, and I wish I was smart enough and knowledgeable enough to own them my entire 9 years of driving.
    Congrats on your new car!

9 years is not so bad. I wish I had been smart enough to buy a Ford Festiva back in the 90's. I envy Mark for his Ford Festiva experience. I didn't really get to the point I could buy a new car until the early 2000's anyway. I think the new Festivas were gone by then.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

2024mirage (02-19-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,759 Times in 2,156 Posts
    If it only took you 9 years to figure this all out, you are doing better than most of us! Congrats on your new Mirage!

I think it's a bit funny that someone would envy a 1988-93 Ford Festiva (designed by Mazda, built by Kia, sold by Ford) owner, but it's sad that true economy cars have disappeared. I think many former Geo Metro owners on this forum had the same positive experiences with their cars.

My 1990 Ford Festiva was $5,300 (after a $1,000 Ford rebate) brand new. 27 years later, I felt the newly updated 2017 Mirage ES manuals selling for $7,500-9,500 brand new @ White Bear Mitsubishi was the same type of great deal! This time I wanted an affordable car that would extend the life of my Forester (which I truly do need at times). Thanks to my affordable Mirage I don't see myself having a car payment or making a vehicle purchase for 15+ years. I can work part-time now & enjoy life more.

My reasons for buying a 1990 Ford Festiva were quite different. My wife was pregnant with our first daughter, and we were cutting our income in half so that she could be an at home mom. We needed a 2nd car that was truly an economy car. A good economy car has to cover three areas extremely well. It must be affordable to purchase, reliable/easy to maintain, & be very economical to drive. A $1,000 rebate on a $6,300 1990 Ford Festiva fit the bill perfectly at the time. We replaced a Plymouth Horizon that had carburetor issues whenever it got cold, & popped out of gear when you hit a bump. Ford went to fuel injection on the Festiva that year, and at $5,300 brand new the Fesitva was a perfect fit for us! I sold it after 14 years, but that was stupid on my part. I should have kept it 20+ years. I still see some around even today!

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

2024mirage (02-19-2024),Fummins (01-25-2024),Grumpy Bear (01-24-2024),inuvik (01-24-2024)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

1.) Treat is like you want it last that long.
    2.) Products you chose to service it.
    3.) Frequency and detail of the maintenance schedule.
    4.) Fix any damage as it happens.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grumpy Bear For This Useful Post:

2024mirage (02-19-2024),Fummins (01-25-2024)

cvt connoisseur, of sorts OrganicFoxes's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Honestly, I am glad I got one at the end of the era, it's diamond white it's an es, I've never once felt the need to make any account in any forum. This is it.

I am waiting eagerly for the dealer to call me to come pick it up, they are waiting for it to be dropped off and then they will do 3m on the front and the gold protection package undercoat fabric and whatever else.

I will post a pic when I pick it up

Congrats, I think you will be able to do 1 million km. One thing I would recommend is doing full cvt services. I am kinda a nerd for cvts so here we go again. You can get away with just a simple drain and fill, it will make it last pretty long with just that. Personally I do not think it will do one million kilometers with just that.

There are metal shavings that end up in the fluid from normal use, and they make their way onto the magnets that are on the bottom on the transmission pan. If those magnets get full then excess metal shavings will circulate through your transmission and wear it down and eventually break something that causes it to fail. Maybe not every single transmission service, but at least every other transmission service I would recommend dropping the transmission pan. Replace the valve body/pan filter (catches bigger metal shavings), replace the pan gasket and the oil filter as well as clean the trans pan and magnets off with brake parts cleaner.

Sounds complicated but you can do it for relatively cheap and it is not super hard to do. (you are saving an insane amount of money by doing it yourself, even with dropping the pan to clean the magnets) There are vidoes on YouTube about it if you want to learn to do it yourself. Might sound daunting at first but it is very necessary for keeping your car as long term as 1 million km. I knew nothing about cars when I got the mirage and I have learned to do everything myself and have saved money in the process. (and if I'm being real I don't trust others working on the my car) Great car to learn to work on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OrganicFoxes For This Useful Post:

2024mirage (02-19-2024),Grumpy Bear (01-27-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,857 Times in 2,154 Posts

Hello 2024mirage and welcome to the forum.

I suppose the first question to ask is do you or have you done any maintenance on cars?

If not, it can be intimidating. But this Mirage is a great vehicle to start with. A newbie can learn a lot about how cars work, save money, and build a decent tool box with the savings.

If you have any questions, just ask. Many regard this as the best car forum going.

Again, welcome.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

2024mirage (02-19-2024),Grumpy Bear (01-27-2024)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Keep the eco light on, ave 45mpg.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to geejoguy1 For This Useful Post:

2024mirage (02-19-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Welcome! Congrats on your new Mirage.

Try to keep the cvt fluid changed. I try for around 50,000kms.

Pick up some Weathertech floor mats, they're pricey but worth it imo. The oem ones suck. The carpet in these cars isn't rubber-backed so water/snow will wick through and eventually have a wading pool in the rear floor unless you're careful/lucky. Weathertechs will help prevent that from happening. Any Mitsubishi branded floor mat that I've seen sucks in comparison.

If you get colder than -20c consider getting a block heater. They're relatively easy to install yourself. It's better to do it sooner than later. It's just a metal rod that gets shoved into a hold. Simple job, but can be a little tricky to find the hole.

And... I'd look into rust prevention. Avoid what the dealer tries to sell and other rubberized undercoatings. I'm sure someone will suggest something that's supposed to work.

Hey!

I hear you on the weathertechs it is getting wet, don't have the financials to buy them at the moment. Just bought some cheap ones for the house that are absorbent and being super ocd with it getting it wet vaccumed periodically. Seems okay for now, the posting of pictures on this forum is proving difficult on a mobile it's also got the 14 inch alloys??? Where did they come from? They look decent. On the website it was steelies even the dealer didn't realize it came with alloys. I wonder how much they weigh.. no option to order them with alloys either. And I got a whole bunch of features out the box I guess Mitsubishi wanted to give it a good send off. The base model is very equipped.

I bought it from Edmonton Kross Mitsubishi.
    23k plus tax I got suckered a little into protection, the life time rust proofing every 2 years and fabric protection as well as some paint protection/coating, the 3m clear bra at the front.

I figured I might as well out the door with a big road trip coming.

Going to Ontario with it end of Feb loaded to the tit$ 🤣 it's got about 350km on it right now. Gas mileage is phenomenal and the transmission is not the smoothest thing ever a little bit of the time slowing down and getting going. (Besides that I'm surprised how well it goes with very little throttle input.) hoping that's normal or there is some sort of learning/break in. I plan to change my oil around the time I get to Toronto maybe 4000km from now roughly

I have been driving it rather chill, giving it till 4k rpm max.

Hopefully I can get it to last, I am planning to be rather meticulous.

Parts from what I discovered are actually rather expensive? Wth 😅

Thanks guys!

Gonna enjoy going through the forums and collaborating with everyone.

I've dealt with cross(formerly southside) a lot. They sucked as far as parts and service department goes. Are you moving out East?
    What parts do you find expensive? New stuff from the Stealership usually is but, as long as you don't crash it everything you should need to keep it maintained can be found cheap enough aftermarket(brakes,filters,etc..).

I didn't know the Base 2024's came with aluminum wheels but I just looked up the Brochure and it shows they do.
    https://mirage2024.mitsubishi-motors.ca/Default.aspx
    ES / STANDARD SPECIFICATIONS:
    •1.2 L DOHC MIVEC 3-CYLINDER ENGINE
    •CONTINUOUSLY VARIABLE TRANSMISSION (CVT)
    14” ALLOY WHEELS
    •AUTO HALOGEN HEADLIGHTS
    •POWER SIDE-VIEW MIRRORS
    •LED REAR COMBINATION LIGHT
    •HEATED FRONT SEATS
    •AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL
    •BLUETOOTH® CELLULAR PHONE INTERFACE
    •POWER DOOR LOCKS WITH REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY
    •POWER WINDOWS WITH AUTO-UP & DOWN DRIVER’S WINDOW
    •CRUISE CONTROL
    •7” SMARTPHONE LINK DISPLAY AUDIO FEATURING ANDROID
    AUTOTM & APPLE CARPLAY
    •REARVIEW CAMERA
    •STEERING WHEEL-MOUNTED AUDIO CONTROLS
    •RAIN-SENSING WINDSHIELD WIPER

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

2024mirage (02-19-2024)