Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Air conditioning causing dash lights

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I don’t follow. Are you saying you replaced the ground cable at the battery but didn’t hook up the part that goes to the body? You’re gonna want to hook that up properly. I’d avoid autozone and consider contacting Johnny Mullet, like eggman mentioned and see if he may be able to help you out.
    The new ground cable comes with the little wire with the yellow crimp connector about six inches long that goes to the body, I didn't splice the old one in, the old mirage cable to the body is a way heavier gauge wire I am planning on getting it hooked up, just didn't think it was going to be the silver bullet for this mess, who knows though. There is another ground strap on the alternator side of the engine to body that could probably stand to be replaced too. Goes from the motor mount to the body.

Thinking I am going to remove the cover on the starter and look at the wires to the solenoid as well, I replaced the starter a few years ago and had to do some splicing and electrical tape because the connector was at the wrong angle on the starter and didn't reach. Seems every time I buy something for this car it never fits quite right.

I say this because my problems all started with every time I went through a puddle, and all the starter wires are down in the bottom of the car. Who knows. At this point any idea is better than none

Last edited by The..me; 01-28-2024 at 02:52 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I don’t follow. Are you saying you replaced the ground cable at the battery but didn’t hook up the part that goes to the body? You’re gonna want to hook that up properly. I’d avoid autozone and consider contacting Johnny Mullet, like eggman mentioned and see if he may be able to help you out.
    I asked about the fan because the radiator fan kicks on (High Speed) at the same time as compressor, which is when the power steering light goes out and steering goes normal again. Idle goes up on engine, seems to misfire less, the ECU/ECM tells the alternator to send more current when the need arises, right? Got to be a tie in there somewhere. haven't seen the low fan speed work on that radiator fan but its cold out. Just trying to brainstorm.

Still got that battery light on full time too which isn't good.
    Last edited by The..me; 01-28-2024 at 03:45 AM.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,216 Times in 704 Posts
    You have some discontinuity in the wiring! Could be a broken wire, maybe even two, maybe just corrosion. Needs a very good look. Have another look at kick panel connectors/wires but this time use the magnifying glass! Sometimes corrosion is almost invisible, but creates havoc. Maybe you can contact Johnny to fix it for you?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    You have some discontinuity in the wiring! Could be a broken wire, maybe even two, maybe just corrosion. Needs a very good look. Have another look at kick panel connectors/wires but this time use the magnifying glass! Sometimes corrosion is almost invisible, but creates havoc. Maybe you can contact Johnny to fix it for you?
    I am going to take a look at that again need to buy a magnifying glass
    If nothing there, I may need to cut the alternator wires as far as I can follow them and do a continuity test, I can always solder them back together. Raining cats and dogs out right now.

I have no idea how to get ahold of this Johnny person.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The..me View Post
    I am going to take a look at that again need to buy a magnifying glass
    If nothing there, I may need to cut the alternator wires as far as I can follow them and do a continuity test, I can always solder them back together. Raining cats and dogs out right now.

Good luck!
    If you want to cut the alternator wire, then may as well cut the harness open a foot or so in length so as to very thorougly inspect and pull-test each single wire before wrapping it back up. Presume you have downloaded the FSM? It also contains the complete wiring diagrams, colour codes, etc.

The Johnny guy is Johnny Mullet, a forum member, youtuber and mechanic knowledgable about these cars. You may want to give him a PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,857 Times in 2,154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The..me View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    The Johnny guy is Johnny Mullet, a forum member, youtuber and mechanic knowledgable about these cars. You may want to give him a PM.
    I sent him a PM yesterday with a link to this thread, just hoping he logs in soon to see the notification. I understand he's not on here every day.

Edit: 10,000th post. Speaking of spending time here...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

BigMW (01-28-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have had that harness open twice all the way back to the third wire tie pulled on everything. I taped it all back up before everyone told me to do the pull test, then opened it up a second time, further. This car has faithfully gotten me from Ashtabula to Painesville to work for 8 years. Sure hoping I can get it fixed.

Someone gave me a Russian Service manual link I couldn't get it to work right.
    Last edited by The..me; 01-28-2024 at 04:04 PM.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    You'll get it working one day! If every single wire in that harness has been thoroughly tested, you may want to try the magnifying glass...

You have a PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wiring diagrams

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ms-Mirage-2015

His wiring diagrams works, cannot get service manual to function
    Click on the wiring link on his page, don't copy and paste, the other links I couldn't get to function right.
    Last edited by The..me; 01-28-2024 at 05:43 PM.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    You need to find the correct start page, and then you shall see the table of contents.
    Click on the chosen chapter, and another pdf with that chapter opens.