Thread: Fuel Pump Issue?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Fuel Pump Issue?

For the past couple of weeks my 2018 Mirage will sporadically not start. It will turn over but not fire. I changed the fuel pump out thinking that was it, and checked all of the fuses for the engine, fuel pump, etc. but could find no issues. It will startup fine most of the time and then all of a sudden it wont start, then try it the next day and it starts fine, but then about a week later does it again. I am noticing that most of the time when it doesn’t start the fuel pump doesn’t prime, but there are times it starts fine without the fuel pump priming.

Any ideas of what I can look at next as I have pretty much exhausted any ideas I can come up with?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-30-2024)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It may be flooding. If you start these cars and shut them off too quickly they will flood the cylinders and not restart.

This is the second thread the op started about the same complaint(likely flooded)... I linked the other thread above. I'm still waiting for questions on the other thread to be answered. The parts cannon must be faulty.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Fummins - What's the P fault code for, apply parts cannon?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Fummins - What's the P fault code for, apply parts cannon?
    Yes. I used to work in the parts cannon factory.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry for not responding sooner, but been quite busy. But in response i don't think the vehicle is flooded as i let it run for a decent amount of time after it starts to keep that from happening. The issue this go round is quite sporadic. About once a week it will turn over but not crank. But the next day it starts up fine and will run and start fine, but about once a week i go to start it and it goes back to cranking but not starting.

I havent used it in about 2 weeks and have it parked in my driveway. 2 days ago i tried it and it started fine, and i let it run for about 10 minutes until the temperature gauge light went off. I went out this morning to look at it and it would crank but not start again (no fuel pump priming). I pulled the fuse and it is not blown. So i put a jumper in place of the fuse (but the jumper wanst as tight as i would like). But i turned the key and the fuel pump kicked on and primed, so i tried starting it and it started right up but stopped after a few seconds which i believe was due to the jumper connection, i havent tried it again as i dont want to damage anything. but i turned the key to where the panel lights come on and am getting voltage on the one side of where the fuse plugs in, so it looks like there is power going to the where the fuse plugs in.

I am trying things as i think of them to see what works without having to sink a bunch of money into it.

Is it possible that there could be an issue with the connection for the other side of where the fuse plugs in?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,857 Times in 2,154 Posts
    Sounds like you might have some wiring problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Flourboy View Post
    I pulled the fuse and it is not blown. So i put a jumper in place of the fuse
    If the fuse isn't blown, why jumper it out? Did you check it for continuity?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)