Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Automatic Climate Control Bashing

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bear View Post
    It's another thing I like about solar film. Almost never fogs over.

Wife is an impatient sort. The GMC acts as you describe. Floor on warmup and at a low fan setting. But it does this for a reason. Temperature sensor needs to see a preset setpoint before redirecting the air to the windshield and side vents. There is no heat until the water is about 150F/65C. Then it redirects and increases fan speed.

She cranks up the temp thinking it makes it get there faster. Actually, I think there is something amiss with the blend door. But like you, I do it in manual and just be patient.
    Yeah, my Delica acts the same way but I don't know if it redirects air as needed. I've never been patient enough to see.

One handy feature with the Mirage is they have a little ptc heater that seems to help speed up window defrosting time.
    Front window tint isn't legal here though tons of people have it. I'm sure it'd help keep temps down in the summer, especially in my little black turd.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (02-06-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    It's a free country. If someone finds my bashing auto climate controls offensive, I suggest they find something else to worry about.
    I'm offended.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,143 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'm offended.
    We live in that type of society these days!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-06-2024),mohammad (02-07-2024)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    When I had the front windshield done the film was near clear. Factory tint. I didn't really notice it being any darker on that window. They did install, my request, a 6" Limo visor. Maximum allowed by law in my state. Drove me nuts for about a week. Now I don't notice it. Sort of like getting used to transition lenses. Side glass I had done to 'maximum legal' and the back glass is Limo Blackout.

The difference in interior temperature is shocking. On a 100 F degree day I have the AC on the bottom quarter and the fans on low. Cool as the other side of the pillow. Zero fog, winter or summer. Maybe I got a freak.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,849 Times in 2,149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMW View Post
    How did you change the default AC on to off?
    See this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Fret Not! Try this - it's one of the first things I did as I didn't want the compressor running all the time. You can do it too†.
    Click on the little blue box with the two arrows pointing to the right, it'll take you to the post & discussion.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

BigMW (02-07-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,849 Times in 2,149 Posts
    So, of all the complaining so far, none have mentioned failure. There's overcorrecting and distaste of technology & cost, but not reliability.

Mark, you are consistent in expressing your dislike for the automatic climate controls. I get it and appreciate that it's not everyone's cup of tea. If these automatic controls were prone to failure, I would be on your side.

And maybe the weather conditions are a factor in how it performs but I had found leaving it at some moderate preferred temperature usually (not always) worked best. Going to the extremes of the temperature settings forced maximum output, which would make things worse. But this can apply to manual controls too.

In my case, I had such a short commute that in cold winter mornings the car never warmed up. I might have had to manually select defrost, but in most cases leaving the controls in auto worked fine.

No doubt it's not for everyone, and I can appreciate that. I mean, I'm not offended by opposition to automatic things. My CJ-7 is a shining example of this. No A/C in that, and I had to add cup holders.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 1,093 Posts
    Eggman - After reading your post above, I didn't know that the A/C operation in AUTO mode could be personalized. So I went back in to the manual and read that in the manual. But I also found that the "air control" (meaning FRESH or RECIRC) can be personalized in the same way. I didn't know either of those "peronalizations." My fault for not reading the manual more thoroughly.

It seems that if I hold the A/C button, and make it beep 3 times ... and hold the RECIRC button and make it beep 3 times, then my grievance with the sumbich switching to A/C and RECIRC when I go to the 61° setting would be removed. That is my biggest complaint about the controls.

That would be a HUGE improvement ... for me. Gonna go out to the car in a while and make those buttons beep 3 times. If that stops the system from switching to A/C and changing to RECIRC when I bump it down to 61° setting (like the manual implies that's what 3 beeping those buttons do), I have a feeling I'll be exploring the AUTO button more. If I can just set it at say the 70° AUTO setting, and it NOT turn on the A/C (in AUTO mode), I'll be MUCH HAPPIER with the automagic HVAC CONTROLS. Yahooooo!

Thanks for sharing that post & link!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 1,093 Posts
    OK, reporting back. A couple things. Evidently I had forgotten that I had previously known about the A/C personalization. When I held the A/C button, it beeped twice. Arrrrrg. So I put it back to 3 beeps. Then I 3 beeped the Recirc button.

And then when I bumped it down from a 62° setting to a 61° setting, the sumbich STILL went to A/C and RECIRC mode (neither I wanted). I guess the "personalization" is only in effect when selecting AUTO.

It is still NFG to me. Aggravating POS (controls). I wanted to like it. But was "FOILED AGAIN..."

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,143 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Eggman - After reading your post above, I didn't know that the A/C operation in AUTO mode could be personalized. So I went back in to the manual and read that in the manual. But I also found that the "air control" (meaning FRESH or RECIRC) can be personalized in the same way. I didn't know either of those "peronalizations." My fault for not reading the manual more thoroughly.

It seems that if I hold the A/C button, and make it beep 3 times ... and hold the RECIRC button and make it beep 3 times, then my grievance with the sumbich switching to A/C and RECIRC when I go to the 61° setting would be removed. That is my biggest complaint about the controls.

That would be a HUGE improvement ... for me. Gonna go out to the car in a while and make those buttons beep 3 times. If that stops the system from switching to A/C and changing to RECIRC when I bump it down to 61° setting (like the manual implies that's what 3 beeping those buttons do), I have a feeling I'll be exploring the AUTO button more. If I can just set it at say the 70° AUTO setting, and it NOT turn on the A/C (in AUTO mode), I'll be MUCH HAPPIER with the automagic HVAC CONTROLS. Yahooooo!

Thanks for sharing that post & link!
    Auto climate controls are not a deal breaker in purchasing a vehicle. I just appreciate the simplicity of manual climate controls. They are intuitive and simple. The thought of having to look at the owner's manual to operate them would never even cross my mind.

Fresh air to recirculate - just slide the lever over.
    Fan speeds - turn knob to 1, 2, 3, or 4 settings
    Temperature setting & mode knobs are so easy to set without taking your eyes off the road.
    A/C - only comes on when the single A/C button is pushed.

If there's a good auto climate control feature that is better than a manual set up, I have not seen it.

Whether auto climate controls are dependable or not, I could care less. Any auto climate controls I have seen give me the same reaction. Who in the He-- thought this is better?

Maybe I haven't met the right auto climate control yet?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    OK, reporting back. A couple things. Evidently I had forgotten that I had previously known about the A/C personalization. When I held the A/C button, it beeped twice. Arrrrrg. So I put it back to 3 beeps. Then I 3 beeped the Recirc button.

And then when I bumped it down from a 62° setting to a 61° setting, the sumbich STILL went to A/C and RECIRC mode (neither I wanted). I guess the "personalization" is only in effect when selecting AUTO.

It is still NFG to me. Aggravating POS (controls). I wanted to like it. But was "FOILED AGAIN..."
    I just dont understand this issue... if you dont want the AC and recirc to kick on then dont take your finger and POOOOSH the button from 62 to 61. You are literally causing your own frustration...

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-08-2024)