Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new vehicle

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle99 View Post
    Toyota Corolla with 6 speed?
    I was looking for one when I bought my mirage in 2023.
    At the time 2023 came with mt, but none were available anymore (no inventory at the end of the year). I think mt was discontinued for 2024. Corolla would definitely be a size down from the current vehicle

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I started looking at prices, and now I know why there are so many Mitsubishi SUVs driving around my town, even though the nearest dealer is in the next province.

Any comparable Honda, Toyota or even Nissan is about 5k more than the RVR.

Sienna is definitely out of question: it is a hybrid, and its over 50k

One interesting vehicle I found was Toyota Mirai, a hydrogen cell electric vehicle. I would not buy one at this point (unproven technology, no infrastructure in my province), but I am curious how it works, in case someone here had any experience with it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

The Mirai is only sold in BC and Quebec. I don't know much about them but I like the concept more than a full EV. .The Mirai seems to have longer range than most EVs, 5 min fuel up times, and pisses water. I believe it uses hydrogen, air, and magic to create electricity to power an electric motor.

I believe they've been in production since late 2014 so probably have it figured out by now. I guess it's just the infrastructure part to deal with. I'm curious to know if it'd be easier or more cost-effective to set up a hydrogen-producing station compared to an ev charging station and which would/could be less problematic.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

BigMW (02-09-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,760 Times in 2,157 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMW View Post
    I started looking at prices, and now I know why there are so many Mitsubishi SUVs driving around my town, even though the nearest dealer is in the next province.

Any comparable Honda, Toyota or even Nissan is about 5k more than the RVR.

Sienna is definitely out of question: it is a hybrid, and its over 50k

One interesting vehicle I found was Toyota Mirai, a hydrogen cell electric vehicle. I would not buy one at this point (unproven technology, no infrastructure in my province), but I am curious how it works, in case someone here had any experience with it?
    If I was starting over & wanted to own just one vehicle today, I would look hard at a non-turbo Mazda trim level. I would need a vehicle that can do some towing. I like that Mazda has not gone down the CVT rabbit hole. As long as other options exist, I am not buying a CVT vehicle. My money, it's my choice!

Given today's market, I would never consider buying a new vehicle, but I would look hard at used Mazda CX-30 & CX-5 vehicles. Someone wanting more seating would need to jump up a trim level I would guess.

Speaking for myself - This is coming from a 60 year old individual who has never owned a vehicle with an automatic transmission. The vehicles I love with manual transmissions no longer exist. 1st & 2nd generation Honda CR-Vs with a manual transmission were my favorite of all time. Most of those are quite old now. Toyota (RAV4) & Honda dropped the manual transmission option after the 2nd generation. I currently own a 2011 Forester 2.5X manual, but I liked my 2000 Honda CR-V manual better. None of these vehicles have an AWD manual option any more. I may have owned an Outlander Sport if it had offered an AWD manual option at some point.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

BigMW (02-09-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,858 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Get a Jeep. Jeeps are cool.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

BigMW (02-09-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Get a Jeep. Jeeps are cool.
    Lol.

NO.

My head is fine.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BigMW For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-09-2024)

Get a Delica, they have more seats and more room for activities. You'd be the coolest guy you know!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

BigMW (02-10-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,858 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Whatever you do don't get a Subaru. I heard those flat engines are prone to failure. I know someone who had theirs replaced and even the replacement was problematic.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

BigMW (02-10-2024)

Yeah Mark.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

BigMW (02-10-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,760 Times in 2,157 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Whatever you do don't get a Subaru. I heard those flat engines are prone to failure. I know someone who had theirs replaced and even the replacement was problematic.
    Jeep hasn't been the same since Fiat took over.

I wouldn't recommend anyone that has gone full blown CVT, & that includes Subaru!

Subaru's earlier 2.2 boxer engine was considered one of the best engines of all times by some mechanics, but I wouldn't buy their newer stuff. I would say the same about most companies these days.

I noticed someone doing a brand new Toyota Corolla oil change the other day, & the car uses 0W8 oil. They were going to use 0W16, because it was allowed in the owner's manual. 0W8 can be hard to find. I wonder if these new engines will last like the old ones? I have my doubts.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

BigMW (02-10-2024)