Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi, I'm new.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumbo View Post
    Thanks everyone!
    Right now, the only question I can think of is what rev range is normal for acceleration of the mirage (with CVT)? When I'm not in back of anyone, 3-4 thousand RPMs seems like a good spot. Sometimes on flat ground I can find a sweet spot and accelerate at 2500 nicely. It is much higher than my previous cars though, so I'm worried I'm putting more wear on my engine than I should be. I have never used a CVT or a 3-cylinder though.
    For me it 1,500 RPM in the city. 2,000 RPM sometimes though when I have to. I have pushed to 2,500-3000 RPM just to get on the fwy ramp just fine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.2 mpg (US) ... 18.4 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to defensivetackle99 For This Useful Post:

Chumbo (02-13-2024)

cvt connoisseur, of sorts OrganicFoxes's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumbo View Post
    Thanks everyone!
    Right now, the only question I can think of is what rev range is normal for acceleration of the mirage (with CVT)? When I'm not in back of anyone, 3-4 thousand RPMs seems like a good spot. Sometimes on flat ground I can find a sweet spot and accelerate at 2500 nicely. It is much higher than my previous cars though, so I'm worried I'm putting more wear on my engine than I should be. I have never used a CVT or a 3-cylinder though.
    I use as little engine speed and throttle as possible, but not to little as to not piss people off to much. I really never go over 2k rpm in the city and suburbs. You would be surprised how many more miles per gallon you can squeeze out of that car. It is easy for me to get mid 50s for gas mileage even in metro Atlanta, but I do like hooning the car around sometimes so it does drop the mileage hahahah. Oh yeah for roadtrips 70 to 80mph, I never go over 3k rpm, if I know the cruise will rev it out I take control. 44 to 45 mpg on my long road trips on average. I also think you should be more concerned about the cvt then the engine. That cvt takes forever to get up to temp so personally, I would not push it for the first 10 mins of driving. Make sure to service it ofc.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OrganicFoxes For This Useful Post:

Chumbo (02-13-2024),Eggman (02-10-2024),inuvik (02-12-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,106 Posts
    I just did a trip this weekend. I had it set pretty much dead on 4,000 rpm, which was 78 mph (GPS verified). It never hiccupped and wasn't loud. It was quite pleasant. At that speed, I'm betting I was doing 38-40 mpg. Somewhere in that zone. At 4,000 rpm it will pull big hills with ease. Twas a nice trip.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Chumbo (02-13-2024),inuvik (02-12-2024)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm probably going to try to keep it around 2500-3000 rpms, I do have lead foot though.

Quote Originally Posted by OrganicFoxes View Post
    I also think you should be more concerned about the cvt then the engine. That cvt takes forever to get up to temp so personally, I would not push it for the first 10 mins of driving. Make sure to service it ofc.
    I will keep that in mind. Definitely going to keep up with the fluid changes. Right now, I'm planning on doing the first fluid and side filter at 30k miles and then the second one at 60k and drop the pan and change that filter. Most of my driving is around 60mph and not a lot of stopping. (country roads)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2024 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.6 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,760 Times in 2,157 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I just did a trip this weekend. I had it set pretty much dead on 4,000 rpm, which was 78 mph (GPS verified). It never hiccupped and wasn't loud. It was quite pleasant. At that speed, I'm betting I was doing 38-40 mpg. Somewhere in that zone. At 4,000 rpm it will pull big hills with ease. Twas a nice trip.
    Sounds like a nice trip, and it sounds like your Mirage handled it quite well.

I find 78-80 mpg is where I start to lose the econ dash light on my Mirage. It will go 80 mph all day long, but it takes more of an economy hit for sure.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It does take a hit at those speeds. I just refueled. The mpg was 39.6. I had some local driving on there before the trip. If it were strictly the interstate at that speed, I'd guess it would be in the low 38's.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have had quite a few instances where I will pull away from a stop at a traffic light, punctually from the time the light turns green. The (usually a) lady behind me, who's been looking at her phone behind me, when she notices traffic is moving, plants her right foot like John Force. About the time I shift, she's already catching up to me, and our speeds clash. Me no longer accelerating shifting to 2nd, and her with her foot to the floor to reattain her tailgating position. There's been several times when they have had to jam their brakes to prevent rear-ending me. I get so annoyed with it, I'd like to punch my fist through their driver's side window. I would never do that, even given the chance ... but in the moment, imagining doing it feels so satisfying.
    I'd swear if we weren't 8 hours apart that we have the same female on the same cell phone accelerating exactly the same behind me at every light.

Well said.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I can imagine that in cases, with some of these drivers that I've described, they may be driving an automagic with 6 speeds, 8 speeds, 10 speeds, whatever ... but their transmission only uses 1st gear and top gear. They John Force it in 1st gear all the way to the speed they want to go, let off and it shifts up 47 gears to top gear.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I can imagine that in cases, with some of these drivers that I've described, they may be driving an automagic with 6 speeds, 8 speeds, 10 speeds, whatever ... but their transmission only uses 1st gear and top gear. They John Force it in 1st gear all the way to the speed they want to go, let off and it shifts up 47 gears to top gear.
    She also starts the "speed up, slow down, 'Oh Hey Girl, be there in a minute'" text message process which involves only paying attention to the road in between Instagram and follow-on texts.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to donatobueno For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-14-2024)