Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The New Guy, 2015 Mirage in WV

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Well crap. Up until now, I always had an excuse for not tackling the clutch job myself (if and when I may need it). Thanks to your he-man over-achiever all-star crap, I'll have to do it myself ... when/if the time comes. Sonofa...

Oh, and that Miller Lite can really makes that particular picture pop!
    It's a tough job without the proper set-up. I didn't have a backup plan and I didn't have any help, so I had motivation; either do it or you don't eat!

There's a lot I learned along the way, hopefully I have the time to share the nightmare for others that are in a tight spot as well.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,522 Times in 1,107 Posts
    I think Johnny put a tutorial on here. But yours, coming from the lesser prepared side of things, would be valuable info too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I think Johnny put a tutorial on here. But yours, coming from the lesser prepared side of things, would be valuable info too.
    I'm certainly not going to rewrite the novel, it would be just as you said; how do you handle the job when you're desperate?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,522 Times in 1,107 Posts
    I'd like to know. Because I generally have really shi11y tools, a floor jack that doesn't want to work on both pistons sometimes, and can only lift something about half the height that jack stands will hold it. I have just enough tools for general maintenance, a couple decent torque wrenches (that I use a lot), and that's about it. Very few power tools. I wish I had a lift. I do have a garage, crammed full of so much crap it's ridiculous.

I use the torque wrenches religiously. When I painted my wheels, they went back on at 85 lb-ft, criss-cross, adding a bit of torque each time. I don't know what the lug nut torque spec is, but it's probably in that zone. I started torquing fasteners when I was racing murdersickles. I was very concerned, after pulling wheels off to put new tars on, that all the wheel and brake components were not over or under torqued when putting all that stuff back together. I wanted the brakes (especially) to work Ed Zachery how they were intended to work. Cause I wanted to live longer.

If you could write something up, that would be great. Maybe add it to where Johnny published his. I managed to change injectors on my Cummins Ram, and threaded a hole in the exhaust manifold for a EGT gauge. And various crap about that level. But nothing like Fummins or Johnny (or you). I did the clutch in my truck, but only using a guy's shop I know, and his help with removing the trans and transfer case. I enjoyed the clutch swapping and carefully torquing all that crap back down.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

donatobueno (02-13-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,858 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donatobueno View Post
    Attachment 26601
    I bought her in November 2023 from a SOMEWHAT reputable dealership. 76000 miles on the clock. ONE WEEK later, the clutch started to slip to the point she couldn't even be driven. After weighing a few multi-thousand $$$ quotes I decided to do the job myself. Mind you I don't have a garage, no access to a cherry picker, and was only equipped with a floor jack and basic hand tools (sockets and hammer(s).) Had to do the job in the apartment parking lot and ignore the dirty looks from the neighbors, 30 degree daytime temps to boot.

2.5 days later, potentially several 18 packs of Miller Lite, and help from the forum she runs like a brand new one. Currently about to push 100k, adding about 300 miles each day. She's now the best car I've ever owned.
    Brilliant work. And I must say, nice beer can holder. I mean, you didn’t even have to ask someone to hold your beer while doing something next to impossible.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

donatobueno (02-15-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Brilliant work. And I must say, nice beer can holder. I mean, you didn’t even have to ask someone to hold your beer while doing something next to impossible.
    Hahahaha thank you sir