Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Drl to fog light?

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    A couple things. A lot, or most new cars illuminate the cluster area full time. Unrelated to "cutting" on the headlights like was done back in the good ole days.

So, say your a "can't parallel park" person, and you come out to your car in the dark, but you live in some citified place that has street lights. Your expectation is that everything is automagic. You touch the door handle and the car unlocks automagically. You get in and pooooosh the START button because turning a key is too difficult. The car cranks and you wonder why you have to manually put it into gear by some means (why doesn't it just go into gear automagically), and start backing up relying on beeps and automagic brakes if something is in your way.

Anywho the point is, the can't parallel park person can see their cluster (it's lit), they can see the road (it's lit), so their next priority is checking tic-tock. I don't think they're clueless. I just think they have more important priorities than to have to pay attention to driving.
    Yep. I thought all mirages had the cluster unlit unless the lights are turned on but we have a 2017 SE that has the cluster light up with the key. Weird.
    I see ghost cars on the road all the time. They blame the backlit clusters but really it's just lack of uncommon sense.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Oh this thread sort of reminds me. When I bought my blue truck 24.5 years ago, it sort of miffed me that the fog lights turned off when I whomped on the high beams. The truck uses a relay that when the high beam circuit is energized, that energizing energizes the coil on the relay, which magnetically moves a contact arm in the relay that opens the fog light circuit.

So I pooped the cover off the relay, took a small cut off piece of zip tie, and jammed in into that relay in such a way as to prevent that arm from moving when the coil is energized. Poopped the relay cover back on, slapped it back in the 'lectrical box, and presto-chango I've had high beams and fog lights for 24 years. The number of people kilt from the brazillions of additional lumens of this mod has been 10 or less.
    I did something similar to my 02. Iirc I just unplugged the drl module. The only down side was the highbeam indicator quit working.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Blue truck don't got no DRL module. No DRL's at all.

My Paw's 2003 GMC, it has DRLs. With specific lenses and bulbs. I pulled the bulbs and snipped the wires on the back of the bulbs. Then put the neutered bulbs back in. The bulbs keep the lenses sealed. And if a future idiot wants DRL's all they have to do is put bulbs in it and the system will work as designed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Oh this thread sort of reminds me. When I bought my blue truck 24.5 years ago, it sort of miffed me that the fog lights turned off when I whomped on the high beams. The truck uses a relay that when the high beam circuit is energized, that energizing energizes the coil on the relay, which magnetically moves a contact arm in the relay that opens the fog light circuit.

So I pooped the cover off the relay, took a small cut off piece of zip tie, and jammed in into that relay in such a way as to prevent that arm from moving when the coil is energized. Poopped the relay cover back on, slapped it back in the 'lectrical box, and presto-chango I've had high beams and fog lights for 24 years. The number of people kilt from the brazillions of additional lumens of this mod has been 10 or less.
    Why would you want to use high beams with fog lights?

I've driven my entire life without fog lights (never owned a vehicle that had them). When the fog is thick, the first thing you do is go to low beams. High beams are horrible in dense fog.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Why would you want to use high beams with fog lights?

I've driven my entire life without fog lights (never owned a vehicle that had them). When the fog is thick, the first thing you do is go to low beams. High beams are horrible in dense fog.
    I understand what is said in this thread. The diagram previously is helpful.

For the Canadian cars in 2023 (mine), if you leave the headlights off, the fog lights are the daytime running lights ie. the fogs are on but the headlight cluster is off.

In the daytime, if you switch the headlights to on the foglights turn off and the headlight goes on "low" (lower than low beam) and the position light comes on as well.

Effectively, this means the lights that are on in the daytime will either be fogs, or the headlight / position light.

To me, I like the increased illumination of the headlight / position light combo even in the daytime.

Note that my picture previously is daytime, the headlights are on (lower than low beam) and the position light is on and amber.

To answer the question above, why would you want fogs / high beams on at the same time, sometimes if there are no other cars around and it is completely dark and conditions are clear, you want the max illumination possible.

During actual fog/snow the high beams make it harder to see, so you want the ability to toggle the fogs on / off as needed.

I do not understand why in these new cars you cant control the fogs independently of the other lights.
    Family used to have 2006 toyota matrix and you could do this, must be some kind of electronical safety "feature".

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
    To answer the question above, why would you want fogs / high beams on at the same time, sometimes if there are no other cars around and it is completely dark and conditions are clear, you want the max illumination possible.
    sunbeam nailed it.

We rarely see fog in these parts. When we do, sometimes I use high beams anyway. Why? Because I don't look at the fog when I do this. I look at what I want to see and ignore the fog. This is difficult to imagine, and it does take some practice to get use to it. But, for example, with the high beams on even in the fog, I can see reflectors on road signs, road reflectors and reflections from the rear of parked cars much further away than I can with just low beams on in the fog. I see what I want to see, and ignore the fog.

Course, we don't see much fog, and when we do, it's not like the pea soup I hear some places get. It's probably baby fog in comparison.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post

In the daytime, if you switch the headlights to on the foglights turn off and the headlight goes on "low" (lower than low beam) and the position light comes on as well.

Effectively, this means the lights that are on in the daytime will either be fogs, or the headlight / position light.

To me, I like the increased illumination of the headlight / position light combo even in the daytime.

Note that my picture previously is daytime, the headlights are on (lower than low beam) and the position light is on and amber
    I'm just stoopid, I guess. You describe exactly how DRL's work in the Canadian models, then say when you turn the headlights "on" the fog lights go "out" & your low beams come on "lower than low beams". How do you make your "lower than low beams" come on to "low Beam"?? Just for a goof, look @ the back of your "Fog Lights". Do they have 2 bulbs in the housing or only 1?? I think you're confusing a lot of people by calling DRL's "fog lights" when you only have DRL's in the round bumper lights...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

BigMW (03-22-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    I'm just stoopid, I guess. You describe exactly how DRL's work in the Canadian models, then say when you turn the headlights "on" the fog lights go "out" & your low beams come on "lower than low beams". How do you make your "lower than low beams" come on to "low Beam"?? Just for a goof, look @ the back of your "Fog Lights". Do they have 2 bulbs in the housing or only 1?? I think you're confusing a lot of people by calling DRL's "fog lights" when you only have DRL's in the round bumper lights...
    I agree that he is confusing the issue by how he states things.

Sunbeam owns a Mirage ES which doesn't come with fog lights. You must purchase an upper trim level for that feature. This has been pointed out several times I believe. Yet, he continues to state he has them. It doesn't make sense to me at all?

If I am wrong about all this, show me the window sticker that lists them. It would be there.

My 2011 Forester has DRL. DRL are an extra separate light bulb in the headlight housing. Since the headlights are more powerful, the DRL will shut off when the headlights are switched on. In my mind this is great, because the day running lights become useless & it extends their life when they are off. My Forester 2.5X (base trim level) doesn't have fog lights. Since my DRLs are in the headlight housing, my fog receptacle is a plate of plastic.

My 2017 Mirage ES doesn't have DRL or fog lights. The fog light receptacle is empty (plastic plate covers it).

Since DRL is mandatory in Canada, it appears Mitsubishi stuck the DRL in the fog light receptacle rather than adding a 2nd light bulb in the headlight housing.

Sunbeam's Mirage came with DRL, because it's mandatory in Canada. His Mirage did not come with fog lights.

DRL should turn off when headlights are turned on. They become useless, & it extends their life.

Fog lights should work in unison with low beam highlights to be the most effective in fog.

That's how I read all this at least. I don't allow Sunbeam calling his DRL "fog lights" confuse me, because they're not.
    Last edited by Mark; 03-22-2024 at 05:38 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

2024mirage (03-23-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I agree that he is confusing the issue by how he states things.

Sunbeam owns a Mirage ES which doesn't come with fog lights. You must purchase an upper trim level for that feature. This has been pointed out several times I believe. Yet, he continues to state he has them. It doesn't make sense to me at all?

If I am wrong about all this, show me the window sticker that lists them. It would be there.

My 2011 Forester has DRL. DRL are an extra separate light bulb in the headlight housing. Since the headlights are more powerful, the DRL will shut off when the headlights are switched on. In my mind this is great, because the day running lights become useless & it extends their life when they are off. My Forester 2.5X (base trim level) doesn't have fog lights. Since my DRLs are in the headlight housing, my fog receptacle is a plate of plastic.

My 2017 Mirage ES doesn't have DRL or fog lights. The fog light receptacle is empty (plastic plate covers it).

Since DRL is mandatory in Canada, it appears Mitsubishi stuck the DRL in the fog light receptacle rather than adding a 2nd light bulb in the headlight housing.

Sunbeam's Mirage came with DRL, because it's mandatory in Canada. His Mirage did not come with fog lights.

DRL should turn off when headlights are turned on. They become useless, & it extends their life.

Fog lights should work in unison with low beam highlights to be the most effective in fog.

That's how I read all this at least. I don't allow Sunbeam calling his DRL "fog lights" confuse me, because they're not.
    You explained it perfectly. Thank you for clearing that out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The mirage es 2023 in canada has fog lights you can clearly see them in the picture.