Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Drl to fog light?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I don't know which markets came with 2 bulbs. I'm sure if sunbeam was to install the fog/drl housings with two bulbs(fog and drl) and activated fogs then life could carry on.
    Does such a thing exist? I may have missed it somewhere. Reading is hard!

Bottom line: He most likely needs to add fog lights without deactivating the mandated DRL feature in the process.

Yeah I think overseas 2 bulb housings were a thing. I think I spotted some on ebay. I think a guy could remove the drl bulb and stuff an actual fog light bulb in the hole then plug the fog light pigtail into it. Ideally you'd have the second hole for the drl bulb but a guy could jerry rig up some led light strips or something that feed off the drl pigtail I guess?
    I don't think trying to make the drl wiring work like a fog light would work out. Same with disabling the drl, we had a 1990 pickup truck pulled over once because the drl wasn't working. I have no idea how the cop knew what year it was unless the tailed the driver and read the plate to figure out what year it was cause those old Mazda b2200's(not ranger)looked the same from the early 80's up til 92 or 93. SO had it been a 1989 or older they wouldn't have required drl"

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yeah I think overseas 2 bulb housings were a thing. I think I spotted some on ebay. I think a guy could remove the drl bulb and stuff an actual fog light bulb in the hole then plug the fog light pigtail into it. Ideally you'd have the second hole for the drl bulb but a guy could jerry rig up some led light strips or something that feed off the drl pigtail I guess?
    I don't think trying to make the drl wiring work like a fog light would work out. Same with disabling the drl, we had a 1990 pickup truck pulled over once because the drl wasn't working. I have no idea how the cop knew what year it was unless the tailed the driver and read the plate to figure out what year it was cause those old Mazda b2200's(not ranger)looked the same from the early 80's up til 92 or 93. SO had it been a 1989 or older they wouldn't have required drl"
    When I was in the etacs/mdpi settings it has different listed headlight/drl configurations. I want the one where you can manually select it.

Should have taken a picture while I was using the device.

Used Autel maxicom mk908 with paid subscription.

Again, first thing would be to light the lamps with the headlights, no point installing better bulbs or different bulbs alone without the ability to simultaneously activate with the headlight.

Would appreciate any advice or video tutorial you have on this topic, the hacking kinda scares me but I do enjoy it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just one. We have a 2023 SE and a 2023 GT. The gt has functional fog lights and the drl are fancy led lights in the headlight housings, the SE is like sunbeams car and the drl are dim bulbs in the fog light location. The connector looks different from the normal fog light pigtail iirc but I think a normal fog light bulb might fit in the same hole. THere's only one bulb in these housings. I don't know which markets came with 2 bulbs. I'm sure if sunbeam was to install the fog/drl housings with two bulbs(fog and drl) and activated fogs then life could carry on.
    2023 Mirage GT with factory fog lights - DRL wiring goes to the headlight housings, because the DRL bulbs are located there.

2023 Mirage ES & SE without factory fog lights - DRL wiring goes to the fog light receptacles, because the DRL bulbs are located there.

Obviously, the wiring harnesses are slightly different?

2023 ES & SE - Does the same 2023 Mirage GT wiring/plug for the factory fog lights exist (left unused) on the 2023 ES & SE?

If I wanted to add fog lights to my 2017 Mirage (any Mirage without factory fog lights in the States), I would simply install the fog light assemblies & plug them into the existing wiring/plug located on the wiring harness.

To activate them - Simply sit in the driver's seat, fasten your seat belt, start the car, open & close the driver's door 5 times within 10 seconds, turn the fog light switch on, listen for the beep, & your new fog lights are activated. No programming tool or software needed!

Stole this wisdom from MrFixIt (forum member) - shows how to do this below -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Sv0l6crFY

You're not going to make a DRL wiring/plug become wiring for fog lights. If the Mirage GT fog light wiring/plug is also there left unused, you would need a combination DRL/fog light assembly (containing two separate circuits & two separate bulbs) that allows you to plug in both the DRL wiring/plug, & the fog light wiring plug.

Otherwise, I feel it's a lost cause.
    Last edited by Mark; 03-26-2024 at 11:59 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-27-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I don't know which markets came with 2 bulbs.
    My 2018 GT has the DRL's in the fog light housing. There is a small regular bulb just in front of the reflector for the fog light bulb. My DRL's light up in the fog light housing when I start the car & not in the main headlight housing...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-27-2024)

I played with my car(2014) last night(not like that..) and was able to enable and disable the fog lights. I wasn't able to enable the rear fog lights. I'm sure I had that indicator lighting up but can't remember which car I was in at the time...Either my previous 2014 or a work car. I'll try to see if the pigtail is there and try to get into the same menu on the 2023SE next time I have it in, probably in 2-3 weeks.
    I took a crappy video, I'll have to skim through it and might just post pics of where I went in the scanner. From memory, I did a full vehicle scan as if looking for codes, then went into the etacs module, pretty sure I selected the "coding" option(not the other 2 or 3 ones that said coding read or program). Then it was pretty straight forward, the current selections were on the left and options to change on the right.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    My 2018 GT has the DRL's in the fog light housing. There is a small regular bulb just in front of the reflector for the fog light bulb. My DRL's light up in the fog light housing when I start the car & not in the main headlight housing...
    I somewhat assume the wiring harnesses are the same for all Mirages in the States. A base level ES is not going to have the fog lights of an upper trim level, but the wiring/plugs for it are there. Thus, adding fog lights is easy.

Does a 2018 GT have the same wiring harness of a 2023 SE in Canada? If so, adding 2018 DRL/fog light assemblies shouldn't be that hard. Seems like that would be the best bet for sunbeam.

Country
    Poland
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Does such a thing exist?
    It does, pretty smart solution. Will take a picture and post it tomorrow - dark and rainy now, sorry

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2021 Space Star Intense SDA 1.2 automatic: 34.5 mpg (US) ... 14.7 km/L ... 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bunio14 View Post
    It does, pretty smart solution. Will take a picture and post it tomorrow - dark and rainy now, sorry
    I gathered that. It's what I was talking about in the previous post, but it would be great to see a pic of it (including the wiring connectors attached to it).

As far as smart solution, I'd rather have my DRL in the headlight housing instead of the fog light receptacle.

I just leave my lights on. I don't touch the headlight switch, they turn off when you turn the key off, pull it out and open the drivers door. Provided you turn them on initially when the ignition is turned on. I want to give everyone else a better chance to see my tin can coming so they don't plow into it.