Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Report: Mirage to be replaced in North America by a crossover

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm afraid if Mitsubishi brought a Truck to market, they would follow all the rest & build 4 door truck with a bed short enough to just say it has a bed... IMO that makes it the "Station Wagon" of the 21st century & all we need to do is put the "Dinoc" wood grain decals on the sides & we'll be like back to the '70's... Everyone had a 4 door Station Wagon then, now every one has a 4 door pick-up... Just my thoughts, but let the thrashing begin... Rant over... I'm done...

I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.4 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,849 Times in 2,149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
    Electric mirage!
    You just ain't right boy.
    But he's not wrong. The automotive landscape is changing. Mitsubishi had an entry in the EV market with the iMiev, but let it slip. They need to get back on that course, or go the way of the horse & buggy. If Mitsubishi really wants to cash in, they can offer some SUV or truck as an EV for a greater profit margin.

Other automakers are developing & offering electric vehicles. Mitsubishi needs to offer one just to stay competitive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    But he's not wrong. The automotive landscape is changing. Mitsubishi had an entry in the EV market with the iMiev, but let it slip. They need to get back on that course, or go the way of the horse & buggy. If Mitsubishi really wants to cash in, they can offer some SUV or truck as an EV for a greater profit margin.

Other automakers are developing & offering electric vehicles. Mitsubishi needs to offer one just to stay competitive.
    Even people that pushed hard for EVs are choosing hybrids. So far hybrids are the future until they figure out the whole Hydrogen thing
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,143 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    I'm afraid if Mitsubishi brought a Truck to market, they would follow all the rest & build 4 door truck with a bed short enough to just say it has a bed... IMO that makes it the "Station Wagon" of the 21st century & all we need to do is put the "Dinoc" wood grain decals on the sides & we'll be like back to the '70's... Everyone had a 4 door Station Wagon then, now every one has a 4 door pick-up... Just my thoughts, but let the thrashing begin... Rant over... I'm done...
    I agree with you. If Mitsubishi makes what everyone else makes, they will continue their slow death. Someone in the auto industry might want to address areas others are ignoring. Simple & affordable small trucks are lacking. Hyundai Santa Cruz is not a truck in my opinion.

4-cylinder/2.4 L non-turbo engine
    2 options: 5-speed manual or durable 6-speed automatic transmission
    2 options: Regular cab with 7.5' box or Extended cab with 6' box
    Body on frame instead of unibody would be nice!
    base/entry level model offered (starting around $23,000 - regular cab/manual transmission)

I would have embraced a 2017 Mirage wagon with the 5-speed manual Mirage powertrain. I miss the small wagons. A Mirage wagon would have more zip than my 1978 63 hp Honda Civic Wagon had.

The Eclipse Cross should have been the Mitsubishi small crossover. An AWD vehicle similar to the Kia Soul would have been more of a hit than wedging the Eclipse Cross between the Outlander & Outlander Sport.

The problem with today's market - They would complain about it having a 7"screen instead of a 9" or whatever. I would still keep it simple so that point is not missed/lost.

The Nissan Micra didn't get bashed like the Mirage years ago, because it was seen as a simple basic car. Car reviewers picked up on that. Canada may be better about that, too?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I think we're close to the same opinion. Maybe I'm not being clear. When I say, it can't be a Mirage truck, I mean ... they can't keep the same drivetrain, and family look as a Mirage. The Mirage gets crapped on SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE IT HAS 78 HP! You have to realize, that the "reviewers" (as uninformed, unpractical, and unknowledgeable as they are about cars) seem to all have the image that the Mirage is an unreliable crapcan. They DON'T KNOW THAT. That is just what they perceive / assume it to be because, "it only has 78 hp, from a puny 3-cylinder."

That's all it takes. They don't know if it is a good car or not. How do I know? Because I own one and it is a SPECTACULAR car. Plus, I designed at Toyota, then I designed at Hyundai-Kia. I got to see both sides of the perspective. What is a truly great car, and what is a true turd.

So, my point is. It can't be a Mirage truck. Meaning, IT CANNOT HAVE A 3-CYLINDER and be successful. It can have a 3-cylinder and be fantastic. But it WILL NOT SELL. If it has a 3-cylinder, and is basically a Mirage truck, IT WILL GET CRAPPED ON AGAIN, and just not sell. That's not what Mitsubishi needs right now. They need to knock it out of the ballpark, or at least hit the fence with it. And not fool around with a Mirage truck. Or a new Mirage type of any car. I don't see why they wouldn't go ahead and continue the Mirage ... it's not like it's costing them tooling / investment now. Unless they need the manufacturing space that the Mirage is taking.

And I agree with Mark. It can be a value truck. Meaning, it doesn't have to have every bell and whistle that Mercedes can think of. It doesn't have to be a SuperDuty. But needs to be in the size vicinity of a Maverick, with an engine or two that Mericans won't immediately dismiss as "junk." 78 hp is perceived as "junk" and that's all it takes to NOT sell. If they were to make a value based truck Maverick sized, with an engine Mericans would buy, and slide the cost in under a Maverick or Ranger (I don't know their costs), but slide in there with a bit lower price tag, I think they'd go far with that.
    At this point, mirage WOULD sell quite well, IF there was any available inventory, with just a little bit of clever advertising. After all, there is no competition for it right now. Fit, Yaris, micra, Spark are all gone in north America. You can walk, bicycle or take a bus. If you want to upgrade from those, you have to buy either an expensive ebv, or gas guzzler. There is nothing in between

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.3 mpg (US) ... 18.8 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMW View Post
    At this point, mirage WOULD sell quite well, IF there was any available inventory, with just a little bit of clever advertising. After all, there is no competition for it right now. Fit, Yaris, micra, Spark are all gone in north America. You can walk, bicycle or take a bus. If you want to upgrade from those, you have to buy either an expensive ebv, or gas guzzler. There is nothing in between
    Hoping the Lancer Hybrid or Mighty Max Hybrid will be a thing. The Eclipse Cross gotta go.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.2 mpg (US) ... 18.4 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    From the Renault - Nissan - Mitsubishi Alliance: The Road to 2030

Trucks, vans, EVs & collaboration. But, no mention of the North American market in this news announcement. What's that all about? Maybe that should be more concerning to dealers than wanting another crossover platform.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,502 Times in 1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post

I don't think he's wrong per se, I'm just having fun with him. However, I do not agree that Mitsubishi making an electric vehicle is going to save them. No way. I have no issues with electric vehicles. I think it's good to have variety. I think it's wrong to have policy that gives them unwarranted incentive to be purchased. If they are truly better, let the market decide their fate ... not the gobment.

I've seen some headlines that even Biden is starting to backpedal on EVs. But I haven't read the details on his stance as yet so I may be in left field with that. The best guidance IMHO on what vehicle to build (for Mitsubishi) would be to ... do what Toyota does. Figure out what they plan to do. Look up their stance on EVs. They're not against them, but they don't think they are the best option. At least not at this time.

I like the truck idea. But Toyota sells a brazillion Camrys. However, the market seems to be going away from coupes and sedans now. In any event, it's going to be difficult for Mitsubishi to make a good choice. Whatever they create, it needs 5,000 hp, do 0-60 in 0.1 seconds, get 50 mpg and cover a half acre of ground.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,502 Times in 1,094 Posts
    • 4-cylinder/2.4 l non-turbo engine
      I'm wondering if a 2.4L hybrid (for the torque & mpg) might sell better?
    • 2 options: 5-speed manual or durable 6-speed automatic transmission
      In order to knock one to the fence or better, a manual transmission is nothing but a bunt. Perhaps start with the 6 speed auto first, if the vehicle launches well, add an MT option? Something like that maybe.
    • 2 options: Regular cab with 7.5' box or extended cab with 6' box
      While I find both of these interesting, I believe neither of these would be appealing to a female, and maybe not appealing to most males. Females have a lot of influence on a vehicle purchase. I don't know what the answer might be (as far as cab configuration), but lots of research would be needed.
    • body on frame instead of unibody would be nice!
      Whichever provides the quietest smoothest ride. A unibody can be designed to be as strong as a frame ... or at least strong enough.
    • base/entry level model offered (starting around $23,000 - regular cab/manual transmission)
      I agree with the price zone. Mark, make a powerpoint, we'll take it to Mitsubishi HQs and make a presentation!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    However, I do not agree that Mitsubishi making an electric vehicle is going to save them. No way. I have no issues with electric vehicles. I think it's good to have variety. I think it's wrong to have policy that gives them unwarranted incentive to be purchased. If they are truly better, let the market decide their fate ... not the gobment.
    Oops - sorry! I didn't mean to make this discussion political. I thought it was about Mitsubishi dealers asking the Mothership to poop out some new platforms & stuff.