Thread: Engine rattling/rough when full thrt at high gear m/t

Country
    Thailand
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Post Engine rattling/rough when full thrt at high gear m/t

lately, when i'm cruising at 90-100 kmh in 5th gear and floor it. the car will rattling and i can feel the vibration at the steering wheel. i;m quite sure this feeling comes from the front of me.

when it starts to reaching higher speed, says 120+ kmh the sounds/feeling will just goes away.

it can happen at 4th gear doing the same thing with lower cruising like ~60 kmh but just back to normal earlier
    maybe 3rd gear at 40 kmh and floor it, this rattling will still happen

it's kind of like only will happen when engine load is too high.

clutch isn't slipped as i'm testing. rev meter still making sense

does anyone facing with this problem?
    or any recommendation to check or what to fix?

thanks in advance. cheers

My first internet guess would be cv axle. I've only seen a couple of Miragess do this. They'd vibrate badly under load, let off the throttle and vibration went away. The inner cv joint was nfg causing the vibration if I remember right. Similar to how a worn out ujoint could cause a driveline vibration.

Another random guess would be broken spring/s or other problem with the clutch or pressure plate.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The only thing I can think of is wheel bearings, it can be difficult to pinpoint the sound sometimes. Having open rotor bearings on my Ranger, I had to replace them more frequently and the vibration/speed dependent sound makes me think of that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2024 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.6 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    To me, by the description I'm thinking clutch. Maybe not the clutch slipping ... or slipping much. Maybe, the clutch is chattering slipping then gripping really quickly, and the spring pack in the clutch causes it to feel like a vibration versus something much worse. Dunno, just spit balling.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Any update on this? I have one in the shop that drove in complaining of vibration while driving. It's parked on the healing hoist right now. It'll fix itself by the end of the day.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Thailand
    Thanks
    i haven't had time to work on this problem yet for now.

the bearings' i'm quite sure it's not. I did the jack up and try shake the wheels at 12 and 6, 4 and 9 all seems tight.
    maybe to have it hoist and free spining would be more accurate to check it. @chumbo

i'm also does concern about the clutch-related problems @fummins @7milesout
    and CVs because all this are still the original and my mirage now approaching 190k

after digging on the internet archive, it's also similar to engine "pinging/pinking/detonation" symptoms