Thread: First CVT fluid change at 100K km

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

First CVT fluid change at 100K km

Did the first CVT fluid change for my 2018 Mirage G4 today (It still drives well and the fluid was really not dirty when I checked it, see the first picture. I just changed it anyway). I used the oil pump that was bought for engine oil change to suck out most of the fluid in the pan (about 3 qts), but found there were still plenty of fluid after I dropped the pan (about 1 little more than 1 qt). I measured the total volume came out was about 3.9 qts. I put in a full jar (4qts) plus another 1/4 qt Valvoline CVT fluid. I know I put in a bit extra, because small amount of fluid (probably 30-50 ml) dropped onto my driveway during the process, hopefully the extra 200 ml fluid wont cause damage. Here are some photos:

Attached Images Attached Images        

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to luckyforrest For This Useful Post:

2024mirage (02-26-2024),Fummins (02-26-2024),Grumpy Bear (02-27-2024),inuvik (02-26-2024),OrganicFoxes (02-27-2024)

cvt connoisseur, of sorts OrganicFoxes's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyforrest View Post
    Did the first CVT fluid change for my 2018 Mirage G4 today (It still drives well and the fluid was really not dirty when I checked it, see the first picture. I just changed it anyway). I used the oil pump that was bought for engine oil change to suck out most of the fluid in the pan (about 3 qts), but found there were still plenty of fluid after I dropped the pan (about 1 little more than 1 qt). I measured the total volume came out was about 3.9 qts. I put in a full jar (4qts) plus another 1/4 qt Valvoline CVT fluid. I know I put in a bit extra, because small amount of fluid (probably 30-50 ml) dropped onto my driveway during the process, hopefully the extra 200 ml fluid wont cause damage. Here are some photos:
    Good to see you dropped the pan to service it. I also use the Valvoline fluid, seems to do the job perfectly fine. Trust me that 200ml should not damage anything, I overfilled mine by 4 quarts...... Yeah 4 which is crazy, I made some mistakes, obviously. I drove around for a week with the dip stick showing more then twice the fluid of what is should be. Obviously should not overfill it, but it did not complain or have problems for that week. The belt in this cvt is actually above the fluid in the pan, the whole point of that is for efficiency so you could see a gas mileage decrease with it overfilled. I doubt the extra 200ml would make the belt drag in fluid though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thank you. I found Valvoline CVT fluid has the lowest viscosity which usually indicates higher quality base oil, so I just decided to go with it. I noticed a few extremely tiny bubbles on the dip stick while the engine is running, I believe it is normal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.7 mpg (Imp)