Thread: Needing Help with my Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Lightbulb Needing Help with my Mirage

Hello friends. I am here because I used to drive Geo Metros and I now own a Mirage. I loved my Metro, and the reason that I no longer have it is classified. I was aware of the geometro forum, and was hoping this is similar.

Let me preface with the fact that I don't know diddly about squat. I'm looking for help and advice explained in a way that you would explain it to an 8-year-old. I have never had to work on cars before, have never had an interest in working on cars, and own very limited tools.

As inflation has risen it has become hard to justify not doing the work on my own. I just replaced my blower motor and resistor in all of about 10 minutes. A shop here in Denver, CO quoted me $900.00 to do a job that cost >$400 and minimal time via rock auto parts and a YouTube video that wasn't in English. While I know everyone has to make money I can't afford the markup. I also honestly feel like I get the ring around as a woman taking in my "Planetary Purple" Mirage into the shop.

So my current problem is more difficult than my blower motor. I am unable to find a YouTube video (Maybe not using the correct search terms?) My driver-side door has this silly button to lock/unlock the car. I cannot unlock the driver side with a key, only the passenger side. My car locks perfectly fine, but the driver's side has this new lovely intermittent issue where it won't unlock. (Intermittent meaning only when I'm in a hurry or so it seems.) The problem has become more frequent and more annoying. I know there's wire testing, removal of the door panel, and a bunch of other stuff I'm sure. Can anyone link something helpful in diagnosing/ repairing this issue? I'd rather buy and install parts myself than pay the shop the $190 they quoted for the diagnostic alone.

Welcome. Rather than back and forth questions and answers I'll just ask a bunch of stuff to figure out what's going on.
    -Does your car have a regular key to start or is it push button start?(I assume it's push button)
    -It has a push button where the lock cylinder would go on the drivers door right?
    -I assume it should have a keyfob/transponder key deal with lock/unlock buttons?
    -Does both the keyfob and button on the door have the same "won't unlock" problem or is it just the button on the door that acts up?

The easiest thing to try and a shot in the dark would be to replace the battery in the key fob.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    -Does your car have a regular key to start or is it push button start?(I assume it's push button)

***It is push button start.***

-It has a push button where the lock cylinder would go on the drivers door right?

***Correct. There is a button on the driver's door. When I push the button, the driver's door locks/ unlocks. When I push the button twice all of the doors unlock. ***

-I assume it should have a keyfob/transponder key deal with lock/unlock buttons?

***I have a keyfob. The key fob will unlock all of the doors normally. The key fob will not unlock the driver side door. When the driver side door will not unlock. ***

-Does both the keyfob and button on the door have the same "won't unlock" problem or is it just the button on the door that acts up?

***They are both having the problem. ***
    I think I should mention, both the button on the door, and the key fob are working. They will unlock all of the doors, except for the driver side door. I think that it is in isolated mechanical/electrical issue.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Metro2Mirage For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-27-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Metro2Mirage View Post

***Correct. There is a button on the driver's door. When I push the button, the driver's door locks/ unlocks. When I push the button twice all of the doors unlock. ***

***I have a keyfob. The key fob will unlock all of the doors normally. The key fob will not unlock the driver side door. When the driver side door will not unlock. ***

I think I should mention, both the button on the door, and the key fob are working. They will unlock all of the doors, except for the driver side door. I think that it is in isolated mechanical/electrical issue.
    I think you’re right. Maybe something inside the door itself. The latch itself or maybe the cable from
    The latch to the manual lock/unlock button near the inner door handle binding up?
    Does the driver door lock properly when you try it manually inside the car?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

cvt connoisseur, of sorts OrganicFoxes's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Metro2Mirage View Post

What about the power lock button inside of the car? I would start there for diagnosing. If it is one of those days you think it wont unlock with the key or button on the outside of the car on the drivers door, I would take the physical key out of the remote and then unlock the passenger door. Turning it some way will make it unlock mechanically but twisting it the opposite way will unlock it with the electronical lock. Not sure which way (left or right) makes it unlock with just the mechanical lock. I would have to update you on that or you can try it yourself. Anyways I would unlock it whatever way makes it so it does not use the electronic lock, I would then climb over to the drivers side and then press the unlock button. If it doesn't unlock with the inside button (after trying it many times to make sure) then it could just be something in the door, maybe a loose connector or something. I know things rattle like hell in this car, I have had multiple windows just fall because of bolts rattling themselves out. I would definitely try that first to narrow the problem down to possibly something in the door.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The door panels on these cars are easy to remove. Maybe remove and have window all the way up, and take a look inside while operating the fob or switch. Something gummed up maybe? Spray the latch mechanism with a good penetrating oil.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 1,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    Maybe remove and have window all the way up...
    Clarify for me Johnny, but what you mean is the put the window up while checking things out. Because generally I think it's easier to take the interior trim off with the window all the way down, or most of the way down. In any event, I'm sure you know that, you've crawled through these Mirages like an ant on an anthill.

At all 3 automotive assembly plants I worked in, the door trim "hangs" in the door / window channel ... the channel the glass goes down in. And clips into the door at the side and lower edge perimeters or the door trim. With a screw or 3 holding the final clamping of the trim to the door, generally the screws are hidden up under stuff, like where your elbow might sit, or down in the pull cup, or pull up the power window switch assembly that's snapped in and there may be a screw. I've never pulled the door trim off the Mirage though, so I may be offt (O-F-F-T) on that.

I agree with Johnny, sounds like it's something mechanical going on, you might be able to see. So, just in case you do pull off your door trim, find the screws, remove them ... the tug outward on the bottom of the door trim, and pull the rest of the clips out around the perimeter working your way up. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong if the Mirage door trim doesn't come off like that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Clarify for me Johnny, but what you mean is the put the window up while checking things out. Because generally I think it's easier to take the interior trim off with the window all the way down, or most of the way down. In any event, I'm sure you know that, you've crawled through these Mirages like an ant on an anthill.

At all 3 automotive assembly plants I worked in, the door trim "hangs" in the door / window channel ... the channel the glass goes down in. And clips into the door at the side and lower edge perimeters or the door trim. With a screw or 3 holding the final clamping of the trim to the door, generally the screws are hidden up under stuff, like where your elbow might sit, or down in the pull cup, or pull up the power window switch assembly that's snapped in and there may be a screw. I've never pulled the door trim off the Mirage though, so I may be offt (O-F-F-T) on that.

I agree with Johnny, sounds like it's something mechanical going on, you might be able to see. So, just in case you do pull off your door trim, find the screws, remove them ... the tug outward on the bottom of the door trim, and pull the rest of the clips out around the perimeter working your way up. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong if the Mirage door trim doesn't come off like that.
    It's a Mirage. Roll the window up and pull the door panel off. Leave window up so you can see the guts. If window is down all you see is window. The door panel can be removed and installed with the window rolled up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 1,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    The door panel can be removed and installed with the window rolled up.
    Theyyyyy. Learn something every day! The cars I've dealt with pinch the door trim (the top of the door trim where it hangs in the window frame) whenst the glass is all the way up. Improves the seal, reduces wind noise. Makes it more difficult to remove the door trim whenst rolled up.

I realize to poot the winder up whenst the door trim is offt so ya can see the stuff inside the door. Replaced a couple winder regulators on my own vehicles ... surprisingly easy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Let us know what you find.