Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Lubrication

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Decoding the last post:

I've had several Honda Civics that have run flawlessly and for very long times that ran on an oil with enough solvency to keep the ring packs clean and fully functional and I did this at OEM OCI's of 7.5K miles (12K Km) and decent filters. These were SPFI motors with simple VVT. Every one of these rusted out before the driveline gave up. All were spotless inside with good compression and low leak down.

One Toyota and this GMC I serviced "By the Book" which meant non-polar (dry detergent) OEM recommended and licensed oils on OEM OCI's, and both were using copious amounts of oil before 100K miles and after warranty. Both sludged up, lost compression and bore polished to ruination. The fact I did it twice makes me an idiot. or at least gullible.

Detergent oils do not PREVENT deposit formation when the add packs ability to prevent nucleation has been exceeded and the dispersant package which hinders propagation, is depleted. That period of effectiveness is much shorter than the OEMs and EPA wish it to be, but it is long enough to get you out of warranty.... most of the time. Albeit it is longer than non-detergent oils by a smidgen.

With the GMC I cut the OCI by 33% and it was still too long to be effective under a process upset. Leaking HPFP. That number was in fact one half as long as when the motor was first released. Even GM knew 10K had proved to be too long. It was their FIRST MOVE to solve the ring issues. I would expect that using prescribed oils that maybe 2 to 3K might be about right and 2K closer to the truth.

People overestimate the useful life of dry oils and licensed products. OEM's count on it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy Bear For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-17-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bear View Post
    Decoding the last post:

I've had several Honda Civics that have run flawlessly and for very long times that ran on an oil with enough solvency to keep the ring packs clean and fully functional and I did this at OEM OCI's of 7.5K miles (12K Km) and decent filters. These were SPFI motors with simple VVT. Every one of these rusted out before the driveline gave up. All were spotless inside with good compression and low leak down.

One Toyota and this GMC I serviced "By the Book" which meant non-polar (dry detergent) OEM recommended and licensed oils on OEM OCI's, and both were using copious amounts of oil before 100K miles and after warranty. Both sludged up, lost compression and bore polished to ruination. The fact I did it twice makes me an idiot. or at least gullible.

Detergent oils do not PREVENT deposit formation when the add packs ability to prevent nucleation has been exceeded and the dispersant package which hinders propagation, is depleted. That period of effectiveness is much shorter than the OEMs and EPA wish it to be, but it is long enough to get you out of warranty.... most of the time. Albeit it is longer than non-detergent oils by a smidgen.

With the GMC I cut the OCI by 33% and it was still too long to be effective under a process upset. Leaking HPFP. That number was in fact one half as long as when the motor was first released. Even GM knew 10K had proved to be too long. It was their FIRST MOVE to solve the ring issues. I would expect that using prescribed oils that maybe 2 to 3K might be about right and 2K closer to the truth.

People overestimate the useful life of dry oils and licensed products. OEM's count on it.
    Some forum members feel 7,500 mile OCIs are perfectly fine. I do 5,000 miles OCI, and I think that's pushing it.

Steve's Cheap Plastic Car did fine with 5W-30 conventional oil (done mostly at a Cadillac dealership for free) changed every 5,000 miles, & his car was @ approximately 307,000 miles when he sold it. I'm just stating that. I'm not recommending you take your Mirage to your nearest Cadillac dealership for service.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-12-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Mark - I don't think Grumpy has a Mirage yet. Because if he did, he'd be using Fram filters and Castrol traditional 10W-30 on 7,500 mile OCI, and living life with no worries!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-13-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Some forum members feel 7,500 mile OCIs are perfectly fine. I do 5,000 miles OCI, and I think that's pushing it.

Steve's Cheap Plastic Car did fine with 5W-30 conventional oil (done mostly at a Cadillac dealership for free) changed every 5,000 miles, & his car was @ approximately 307,000 miles when he sold it. I'm just stating that. I'm not recommending you take your Mirage to your nearest Cadillac dealership for service.
    I just installed a daewoo designed ecocrap 1.8L with 500,000kms into a Sonic that has 260k kms(timing belt broke and bent all the valves). It's ran on kool-aid it's entire life.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,858 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Are all engines like this? Or just Toyota...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-17-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Are all engines like this? Or just Toyota...

No. Gerotor (torchoild) crank driven is common but not universal. Sliding vane, internal and external gear pumps are also used. Some are cam driven. OEM wet sump systems. Belt driven external pumps aka dry sump and piston or plunger pumps are also used.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I knew a guy who drove home drunk every night of the week for over three years and never had an accident and never got caught. He drove home because he was too drunk to walk home. Did this on a motorcycle. It never made me conclude this was a safe practice.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy Bear For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-17-2024)

I knew a guy who drove home drunk every night of the week for over three years and never had an accident and never got caught. He drove home because he was too drunk to walk home. Did this on a motorcycle. It never made me conclude this was a safe practice.
    Guy drives home drunk five nights a week for fifty years. Never has an incident. Never gets a ticket.

Should I conclude that drinking and driving is safe? It's the problem of anecdotal evidence. Bigger problem is that people will follow that fool's example and swear by it, to it and for it. Site it as evidence to its validity.

Data would not just suggest but prove otherwise. Seems common sense.

The problem with common sense is....it isn't commonly used.
    There seems to be an ongoing theme here. I’ll let you know when I figure it out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,858 Times in 2,155 Posts
    No. Gerotor (torchoild) crank driven is common but not universal. Sliding vane, internal and external gear pumps are also used. Some are cam driven. OEM wet sump systems. Belt driven external pumps aka dry sump and piston or plunger pumps are also used.
    Thanks Grumpy Bear. Not sure if you saw the entire video but the pump is only a small part of the presentation. It covers all the areas of the Toyota engine that uses oil, and how it gets there. I didn't know the crankshaft & camshafts are hollow.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-17-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Thanks Grumpy Bear. Not sure if you saw the entire video but the pump is only a small part of the presentation. It covers all the areas of the Toyota engine that uses oil, and how it gets there. I didn't know the crankshaft & camshafts are hollow.
    I did not but I will later today. I applaud your inquisitiveness. Many cams and cranks are hollow. Some are not. Some are drilled. Some use dedicated channels or internal pipe ways. Some small and many very old motors are splash lubricated.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy Bear For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-17-2024)