Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Lubrication

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 1,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bear View Post
    I think the only line read, given the responses, was the very last sentence.

Wasted was the part where you LEARNED from 'countless UOA's" that OCI is dependent on use, selection and RESULTS. That the OEM recommended value is the sum of engineering 'averages" and "BEAN COUNTER" (warranty) projections. That final choice for YOUR UNIT using YOUR fluids/filters ultimately rest with you EXECTATIONS.

Nothing I haven't been saying. What was not covered is the logical conclusion from this observed variation is that IT CAN IMPROVED UPON, and your expectations EXCEEDED by multiples. Often with little to no extra cost ALL THINGS CONSIDERED.

What is absent is a willingness to consider those last two sentences. Happy little Lemmings. Well...be about it....
    Are you ever going to get a new Mirage Grumpy Bear and wow us with your detailed oil analysis at every oil change to educate us or is this just a lot of talk? Asking for a friend.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

BigMW (06-16-2024),Fummins (06-15-2024)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Are you ever going to get a new Mirage Grumpy Bear and wow us with your detailed oil analysis at every oil change to educate us or is this just a lot of talk? Asking for a friend.
    Education isn't what you're after and you can't even be honest about that.

Clue for ya. I already paid for my education. I don't need to run thousands of dollars of ADDITIONAL test. I did this for nearly 40 years. I already know this material. What benefit is that to me? And it won't benefit you. You won't let it. Do you think you are someone I need to "re-prove" my life's work to? Get a grip princess.

Look, I already benefit from it. You don't want to .... I'm good with that.

Questions. Why is it so important to YOU that anyone that would like to benefit from another's education/experience should be denied that chance. Why would you attempt humiliation as a tool to that end? Why would it take three of you? Why would you not offer to pay for the education (testing) / car / my time? Where did you get the idea that after such an arrogant display I would pay for your education after offering to GIVE IT TO YOU FREE. One you don't want and believe on a topic you've mastered. You haven't.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy Bear For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-17-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Clue for ya. I already paid for my education. I don't need to run thousands of dollars of ADDITIONAL test. I did this for nearly 40 years. I already know this material. What benefit is that to me? And it won't benefit you. You won't let it. Do you think you are someone I need to "re-prove" my life's work to? Get a grip princess.

Questions. Why is it so important to YOU that anyone that would like to benefit from another's education/experience should be denied that chance. Why would you attempt humiliation as a tool to that end? Why would it take three of you? Why would you not offer to pay for the education (testing) / car / my time? Where did you get the idea that after such an arrogant display I would pay for your education after offering to GIVE IT TO YOU FREE. One you don't want and believe on a topic you've mastered. You haven't.
    You really live up to your nick

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.4 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigMW For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-17-2024)

So how about them oilers?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 1,133 Posts

Well, firstly let me apologize for not recognizing you as the world's premier expert on lubrication. Apparently I didn't recognize that fact in the beginning although I am struggling a bit with your declarations that this forum owes you fealty for your alleged encyclopedic knowledge of this subject. You have waxed poetically ad nauseam about how you are doing it right and everyone else is doing it wrong. All I'm saying is that this is a Mitsubishi Mirage forum after all and although apparently using regular dino juice oil is good enough to get these engines to 300,000 miles / 480,000 km plus miles please enlighten us through your own Mirage ownership experience the superiority of your knowledge and application. Otherwise you've given us a lot of hyperbole and blather.
    Last edited by inuvik; 06-16-2024 at 04:21 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

BigMW (06-16-2024),Fummins (06-16-2024),tomrad (06-22-2024)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think the only line read, given the responses, was the very last sentence.

Wasted was the part where you LEARNED from 'countless UOA's" that OCI is dependent on use, selection and RESULTS. That the OEM recommended value is the sum of engineering 'averages" and "BEAN COUNTER" (warranty) projections. That final choice for YOUR UNIT using YOUR fluids/filters ultimately rest with you EXECTATIONS.

Nothing I haven't been saying. What was not covered is the logical conclusion from this observed variation is that IT CAN IMPROVED UPON, and your expectations EXCEEDED by multiples. Often with little to no extra cost ALL THINGS CONSIDERED.

What is absent is a willingness to consider those last two sentences. Happy little Lemmings. Well...be about it....

So let me get this straight. It can be improved upon, for little or no extra cost. An oil analysis has to be a part of that, otherwise you truly don’t know. You might have all of the knowledge in the world, but every engine is different, every person’s use is different. Which is why IF you want to really know if you are taking care of your engine or not, you need to do an oil analysis, which will cost you and is not free.

So tell us Dali Lahma of oil change knowledge, what can be done for free to improve the life of the oil. No riddles, no beating around the bush. Just let us know or you will just end up being ignored. Share with the community to make it a better place. That is why most of us are here, to help each other and to spread knowledge. Many of us here have enough knowledge on the subject to know when someone is blowing smoke up our dresses, and right now it is feeling a little windy!
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 91cavgt For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-17-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    @ Grumpybear,

I have tried the redline 0w40 and the liquidmolygen 5w30 on the mirage.

Up until 3,500 km both oils perform well, the redline feels like the engine is running better.

However, after 3,500km the molygen feels like it is running better.

I have made it to a make oil change interval of 4,600km with molygen and still increasing that interval because the engine is feeling smooth.

Is it possible that the redline is designed for a shorter oil change interval compared to other more "street" focused oils?

Will note that I am driving highway miles with similar conditions for both oils, both using the same wix xp filter.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sunbeam For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-17-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,524 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Well, I'm at 6,600 miles of my 7,500 OCI, per the manual. I was reading expert info on Bob is the oil guy, and based on that, I added 6 ounces of acetone to my oil, to extend the oil's life, and to clean out the VGT vanes, and send the dead oil to the oil filter. To make sure the oil's electrons and neutrons make it to 7,500 miles and are still feeling invigorated. I immediately noticed my engine felt peppier. I might extend it to 7,550 miles ... we'll see.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-17-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Well, I'm at 6,600 miles of my 7,500 OCI, per the manual. I was reading expert info on Bob is the oil guy, and based on that, I added 6 ounces of acetone to my oil, to extend the oil's life, and to clean out the VGT vanes, and send the dead oil to the oil filter. To make sure the oil's electrons and neutrons make it to 7,500 miles and are still feeling invigorated. I immediately noticed my engine felt peppier. I might extend it to 7,550 miles ... we'll see.
    You lemming!

The original post kinda sums it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by poopycacahead View Post
    I was recently told nobody cares about it. I took that to mean that the individual who made the comment considers themselves a nobody.

This is the barney song of threads

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-17-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Also on the oil topic, has anyone tried the valvoline "restore and protect"?
    Again, working on my oil hoard so not buying more oil atm but interested to hear if anyone has tried this oil.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to sunbeam For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-17-2024)