Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Lubrication

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 710 Posts
    Somehow this thread seems to have an "old mechanic" / "old mech" / "deleted user" flavour.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

BigMW (06-20-2024),inuvik (06-20-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Somehow this thread seems to have an "old mechanic" / "old mech" / "deleted user" flavour.
    With a hint of get off my lawn.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-20-2024),tomrad (06-22-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,524 Times in 1,108 Posts
    You're right. But I don't know how you come up with this stuff. Maybe I'm just s-l-o-w.

I miss mechanic and Dirk. I didn't know the other 2 much, or at all.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,766 Times in 2,160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    You're right. But I don't know how you come up with this stuff. Maybe I'm just s-l-o-w.

I miss mechanic and Dirk. I didn't know the other 2 much, or at all.
    Dirk must have moved to an area that is too high class for this forum?

I am only kidding. I expect Dirk to reappear when the dust of his move settles for him.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,859 Times in 2,156 Posts
    My guess is that he is too busy these days. Good busy, I hope.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    With a hint of get off my lawn.
    This forum has numerous how-to's, a search function and so on, and everbody that behaves may participate or not as they like. I thought this was the place for everyone to talk about or ask questions to do with our cars.

If somebody got the notion the forum was his own private lawn, It would raise some questions not about the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    If somebody got the notion the forum was his own private lawn, It would raise some questions not about the forum.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_kids_get_off_my_lawn!

"Today, the phrase has been expanded to mock any sort of complaint, particularly those of older people regarding the young."

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,524 Times in 1,108 Posts
    I live in a neighborhood. The kind to which I don't particularly like. It has an HOA. Not a particularly honerous one though. At least not till the lady across the street became the HOA president and royally F'd it all up from head to toe. Luckily, the men of the neighborhood got involved and mostly shut her s--t down. "SERENITY NOW!"

Anywho - Across the street from me is the "Get off my lawn" guy. And then there's me. My lawn is ... nice, for the most part. But I'm not out there like Mr. Miyagi with his baby scissors sculpting his lawn, like the guy across the street does. I've got crap to do, he's retired. Me and the cantankerous old man across the street are the last 2 houses before the cul-de-sac of 4 houses. And now, in 3 out of 4 of those houses, new young families have moved in. With young kids. And I LOVE 'EM! I love to hear them screaming, banging, clanging. I love to see their kid-sh-t strewn across the cul-de-sac.

I come home and sometimes and they're playing in this grove of trees in my yard that they like to act like is a fort. And I can tell they get all nervous when I show up like they're caught doing something wrong. But I tell them they can play in them trees all they want, just don't get hurt. They leave their toys and bikes and all kind of crap in my yard and driveway ... and I LOVE IT. Because, that's what kids are supposed to do. They're not supposed to sit in a room all day staring at a screen and throwing their controllers at the screen when they don't win some stupid game. However, sometimes this girl, or maybe girls, goes to doing that girl scream that sends electrical jolts through my spine. I don't like it when she does that, but I suppose they're supposed to do that too. I had 3 boys, they never screamed like that, never any kind of blood curdling scream of death like this girl does. But better that then to sit inside brushing her hair and taking selfies, and tik-tok photos she ought not to (she probably does that too though).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-21-2024)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I live in a neighborhood. The kind to which I don't particularly like. It has an HOA. Not a particularly honerous one though. At least not till the lady across the street became the HOA president and royally F'd it all up from head to toe. Luckily, the men of the neighborhood got involved and mostly shut her s--t down. "SERENITY NOW!"

Anywho - Across the street from me is the "Get off my lawn" guy. And then there's me. My lawn is ... nice, for the most part. But I'm not out there like Mr. Miyagi with his baby scissors sculpting his lawn, like the guy across the street does. I've got crap to do, he's retired. Me and the cantankerous old man across the street are the last 2 houses before the cul-de-sac of 4 houses. And now, in 3 out of 4 of those houses, new young families have moved in. With young kids. And I LOVE 'EM! I love to hear them screaming, banging, clanging. I love to see their kid-sh-t strewn across the cul-de-sac.

I come home and sometimes and they're playing in this grove of trees in my yard that they like to act like is a fort. And I can tell they get all nervous when I show up like they're caught doing something wrong. But I tell them they can play in them trees all they want, just don't get hurt. They leave their toys and bikes and all kind of crap in my yard and driveway ... and I LOVE IT. Because, that's what kids are supposed to do. They're not supposed to sit in a room all day staring at a screen and throwing their controllers at the screen when they don't win some stupid game. However, sometimes this girl, or maybe girls, goes to doing that girl scream that sends electrical jolts through my spine. I don't like it when she does that, but I suppose they're supposed to do that too. I had 3 boys, they never screamed like that, never any kind of blood curdling scream of death like this girl does. But better that than to sit inside brushing her hair and taking selfies, and tik-tok photos she ought not to (she probably does that too though).

Being the old father of a 9 year old girl, I can attest to the blood curling screams that come out of their mouths. Just the other day my wife and daughter were in the pool in front of the house while I was working in the shop out back when I heard her scream! The father instinct took over, I dropped everything and took off running to the front of the house fully expecting to do hand to hand combat with a snake or coyote. I turned the corner of the house to hear her laughing. With my adrenaline still pumping, all I could do is lean against a tree and shake my head.

Yeah, raising girls is VERY different than raising boys.

To keep this on topic, last year I noticed my 2022 Ram truck started ticking upon cold start. The tick would go away as soon as oil pressure came up, so it would only tick a few seconds. This was at about 32,000 miles. It had been using 0w20 oil since new. So, I changed the oil to 5w30 but still the same brand(Castrol full synthetic). The cold start tick went away and has stayed away. The truck now has 49,000 miles, and surprisingly, the fuel economy has not changed. I’m still seeing 20-22 mpg on the highway on average, and this is with the 5.7L HEMI.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_kids_get_off_my_lawn!

"Today, the phrase has been expanded to mock any sort of complaint, particularly those of older people regarding the young."

Never heared of that before!