Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lubrication

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    This isn't my forum. I was asked to serve as a moderator, but I'm no admin and don't set the rules.

That being said, let me pose a question: What do you think would happen if moderators & admins began making demands of strict posting rules? I suspect there would be far fewer participants.

I think it would be beneficial to introduce a sticky topic about behaviour in the forum!
    That being a small and simple set of rules for keeping a minimum of order.
    Offenders being reprimanded, trash posts deleted.
    Repeated offenders banned.

That way there would be marginal fewer participants at first.
    The better stucture and condition of the forum would be a welcome invitation to those, that have avoided this forum up to now. Think former TeamSwift, Geo Metro Forum and others, for example.

Last edited by foama; 03-07-2024 at 09:36 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    I think it would be beneficial to introduce a sticky topic about behaviour in the forum!
    That being a small and simple set of rules for keeping a minimum of order.
    Offenders being reprimanded, trash posts deleted.
    Repeated offenders banned.
    There is one. It was made by forum admin MetroMPG early on in the forum’s history.

Here’s my take, a little perspective for what it’s worth. My level of interest is somewhat limited because I’m not financially compensated for my time (can’t speak for the other moderators & administrators haha.) If I were making a living from this my outlook might be a little different. That’s not going to happen and I’m not going to ask.

So, what do you expect for free? Here, we all get more than we pay for. Can’t beat that for value.

It’s a big world out there. It might be surprising to some to learn that not everyone thinks the same way.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

BigMW (03-07-2024)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Egmann, I can not find it!
    There is something similar called "Forum Rules" that is only shown to persons registering.
    It is copied below:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forum Rules

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Complete Registration' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

Although the administrators and moderators of Mitsubishi Mirage Forum (also G4 sedan, Space Star, Attrage, Dodge Attitude) will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this site, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of Mitsubishi Mirage Forum (also G4 sedan, Space Star, Attrage, Dodge Attitude), nor vBulletin Solutions, Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

Mitsubishi Mirage Forum (also G4 sedan, Space Star, Attrage, Dodge Attitude) sends a once-monthly e-mail newsletter to members. (Opt-out instructions are included in each e-mail.)

The owners of Mitsubishi Mirage Forum (also G4 sedan, Space Star, Attrage, Dodge Attitude) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, preserve or close any content item for any reason.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other than that above is a 2013 post by MetroMPG titled "Welcome to MirageForum".

Eggman, we are all grateful to you as a moderator for your endless effort and unpaid time, but like you are saying, you are not an admin.
    I wonder, do we still have an admin, and when was the last time any admin has seen or done anything in the forum?
    Being admin in four forums would be too much for anybody, subtracting TeamSwift would leave three. Many recall TeamSwift, and how the administration slowly retreated, and how anarchy set in, worsened and became the norm. Some time later, the entire forum and its many How To's suddenly and without warning disappeared forever from one day to the next. I hope this is not the blueprint for our future.
    Last edited by foama; 03-07-2024 at 11:53 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    This isn't my forum. I was asked to serve as a moderator, but I'm no admin and don't set the rules.

That being said, let me pose a question: What do you think would happen if moderators & admins began making demands of strict posting rules? I suspect there would be far fewer participants.
    Good question. Participation should be fun or casual here. Heck life is short. That partly what makes
    It appealing to be part of. This is a very small niche group compared to Toyota Natiom,
    Drive Accord, and such. These have structures, and do require members to read everything first before asking. Y’ all know reading can be a letdown for some.

Joining a forum with a “military structure” or too many rules behind it is already a bad impression for new member IMO.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I give you that. Some structures or rules are better than none.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    IMHO a forum with a bit more structure where irrelavent stuff is occaisionally deleted, would look more appealing and be more fun.
    No need for military discipline and no need for lengthy rules. Just sticking to the (hard-to-find !) rules we have right now and gently enforcing them could be enough.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    IMHO a forum with a bit more structure where irrelavent stuff is occaisionally deleted, would look more appealing and be more fun.
    No need for military discipline and no need for lengthy rules. Just sticking to the (hard-to-find !) rules we have right now and gently enforcing them could be enough.
    I treat every thread as a new conversation. Some threads interest me more than others. When I share something, someone like Fummins & Eggman may have seen/read it 10 times before. For those new to the forum, it may be something totally new. That's how I view each thread. A forum is a discussion that others can follow, & I never lose sight of that. I might share something for Dirk's benefit, but I hope it may benefit others at the same time. Likewise, I benefit from the knowledge of others on this forum.

I don't expect new forum members to have read through years of threads to be up to speed here. Occasionally things come up from old threads that I haven't seen before, and I've been hanging here for 7+ years now.

I value the friendships that I have formed on this forum more than the topics sometimes. I value everyone's opinion. I know for example foama embraces mandates (whether it's government or forum). I cringe at most mandates, but I respect those who value them. For example - I'm not crazy about mandates like TPMS & backup cameras. If a backup camera saved the life of one child, however, I am all for that! Not all mandates are bad, & I will be the first to admit that.

I would hate to see this forum change. When someone like Dirk started a thread about his future move to Missouri, I enjoyed that more than reading about cars. I consider Dirk a friend. For those not interested in Dirk's life, read some other thread. I would be really disappointed if this forum started regulating everything.

Most everyone on this forum is welcomed to come take a piss in my yard. I live in rural Wisconsin. I piss outside 90% of the time. Even when I get up in the middle of the night, I will go outside. My yard is my urinal, & I would gladly share it! I probably just shared too much information. Oh well!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Basic (03-08-2024),Fummins (03-07-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Most everyone on this forum is welcomed to come take a piss in my yard. I live in rural Wisconsin. I piss outside 90% of the time. Even when I get up in the middle of the night, I will go outside. My yard is my urinal, & I would gladly share it! I probably just shared too much information. Oh well!
    The above reply should be deleted and Mark should be dismembered. Sir yes sir!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Mark (03-07-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    The above reply should be deleted and Mark should be dismembered. Sir yes sir!
    Come on man! Give a guy a break!

I think there's an obvious point to this thread. Most of the posts have nothing to do with lubrication. Going off topic is more common than not.

I made a crack about Telsa owners, and I'm not sure oil has been mentioned since. If Eggman & I can't yank each other's chain at times, what fun would that be?

After teaching 7th graders for over 30 years, I learned a long time ago to not take life too seriously. If I expected perfection from my students all the time, I would have driven myself nuts. Sometimes allowing students to fail is the best teaching. I can talk my driving students through a parallel park every time, but at some point I need to shut up & let them hit the curb. Hitting the curb is life! Sometimes, you have to start over or at least tweak things a little.

In all honesty, Grumpy Bear may not be happy here! We have the attention span of 7th graders. Believe me I know from experience! I might add that I loved teaching 7th graders. I'm not sure what that says about me, however?

Would someone please talk about oil?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-07-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,569 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Come on man! Give a guy a break!

I think there's an obvious point to this thread. Most of the posts have nothing to do with lubrication. Going off topic is more common than not.

I made a crack about Telsa owners, and I'm not sure oil has been mentioned since. If Eggman & I can't yank each other's chain at times, what fun would that be?

After teaching 7th graders for over 30 years, I learned a long time ago to not take life too seriously. If I expected perfection from my students all the time, I would have driven myself nuts. Sometimes allowing students to fail is the best teaching. I can talk my driving students through a parallel park every time, but at some point I need to shut up & let them hit the curb. Hitting the curb is life! Sometimes, you have to start over or at least tweak things a little.

In all honesty, Grumpy Bear may not be happy here! We have the attention span of 7th graders. Believe me I know from experience! I might add that I loved teaching 7th graders. I'm not sure what that says about me, however?

Would someone please talk about oil?
    It's slippery.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)