Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Lubrication

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I honestly believe Grumpy Bear started this thread to prove how little we know about lubrication.
    It all he ever talked about. Unusual to me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I honestly believe Grumpy Bear started this thread to prove how little we know about lubrication.
    @Mark

HONESTLY, I was trying to contribute. I did not wish to be one who takes ONLY. My complaint is getting hit in the mouth for the attempt. I abided and moved my "off topic' topic to its own topic and got hit again before the first substantive post. Now we wish to complain that I bled on ya'll? We decided to do a weeklong community pile on? Hey sport, I'm a big boy with a thick skin. You hit like a girl. Let me know when ya'll are tired of throwing punches.

@defnsivetackle99

Is unusual to talk about what you know? I ask questions about what I don't know. How do you do it? Cause if it's different that would indeed be weird.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy Bear For This Useful Post:

foama (03-18-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    I wouldn't get my "undies in a bunch" over my statement. I was just stating things as I saw them at the time. Your thread went off topic quite fast, & I'm sure you found that quite annoying. I don't blame you!

I don't come here to offend & irritate people, but I may mess up at times. If I have done that to anyone here, I apologize for that. Only Jesus walked on water, and I am far from perfect. Most days, I'm not even close.

Sometimes forum members clash on the forum. Example - I clash with Eggman sometimes. Yet, I maintain the utmost respect for him, & I sense the same from him. We've probably called a truce a few times behind the scenes even. Life is too short to fret over anything discussed here on the forum. I miss Eggman when he's not around.

I might mention Scotty Kilmer just to stir Eggman's pot a bit at times. I know Eggman can't stand the guy. I tolerate Scotty. Do I worship him? No, I might go months between watching one of his clips, & he cranks them out daily. I admire Kilmer's passion. His passion for what he does made him rich (net worth estimated at 6 million or whatever). Yet, his nicest car is a $3,000 2003 Lexus that he bought for his wife. I find humor in that alone. Enough about that! I don't want to stir up Eggman too much today!

My point is that clashes happen here sometimes. Dealing with people is sometimes challenging. You & I might clash over the Project Farm dude, & that's OK, too!

You have the most oil/lubrication knowledge on the forum. Only a clueless person wouldn't recognize that. There's nothing wrong with clueless people. They're just annoying. I'm sure many of us seem clueless to you, and that might annoy you. I feel clueless around you, but I would rather embrace that. I share what I know (which isn't much sometimes), & I hope to learn like the rest. I suffer from being an old dog learning new tricks sometimes, but some things in my life are still evolving thankfully!

I enjoy having you on the forum. I guess this was my long way of saying that!
    Last edited by Mark; 03-13-2024 at 06:48 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (03-14-2024)

I think Doug Demuro is the best car reviewer of all time. Change my mind. Just don't hurt my feeling in the process.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I might mention Scotty Kilmer just to stir Eggman's pot a bit at times. I know Eggman can't stand the guy. I tolerate Scotty.
    I used to follow him until he started semi clickbaiting contents one after another. It got out of hands so I stopped.

I do respect him however. I appreciate hearing him telling stories about his early career and his grandfather involvement in automotive.

I wish he could review my Mirage but he moved further away.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bear View Post

@defnsivetackle99

Is unusual to talk about what you know? I ask questions about what I don't know. How do you do it? Cause if it's different that would indeed be weird.
    I realized you haven’t bought a Mirage so never mind my previous statement. Your automotive oil expertise is welcomed here.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to defensivetackle99 For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (03-14-2024)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Name:  BorePolishing.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  20.4 KB

That is bore polish. Clacky displayed this. Not the same as a cylinder score. The link I provided earlier talked about 'ring buffering'.

Think of that as setting a water glass on a plate covered in honey verse covered in water. The glass will eventually touch the plate in both cases, but it takes longer sitting on honey. That time it takes is called the 'buffer'.

Picture water skiing. If you moving, you stay on top of the water. Come to rest, you sink. Same thing would happen skiing on honey. It would take longer to reach the bottom.

If you have that idea firmly in mind the when the distance is small to the bottom of the river the viscosity of the water determines how fast you reach it when you speed is zero.

Minimum oil film thickness (MOFT) is how thick the oil needs to be to keep you from hitting bottom between periods of high velocity. (piston change of direction). Surface finish (honing) has something to do with that. Ring tension too. Load (cylinder pressure), heat and so on.

When a bore polishes the crosshatch out BEFORE it scores the cylinder you can bet that the viscosity is not high enough for the conditions it is subject to and the viscosity that matters is the 150C HTHS number. Big doses of ZDDP will not save a motor that chronically suffers low viscosity,

Each grade has a minimum value but no maximum. It is primarily a feature of the base oil selection. If it is not published it is the minimum. If it is they will brag about it in marketing. Some 5W20 oils like Red Line HP 5W20 have a HTHS high enough to qualify as a W30. So, if you can't afford a boutique oil like Red Line then run a *W30. Ditto each grade up. The first number dictates most people's fuel economy anyway.

You know this intuitively. Anyone who 'track day's their car chooses a higher viscosity oil to offset heat related viscosity losses.

When I said Klondike 0W20 didn't do the job in Clacky it isn't a knock on the oil. It's the wrong glove for that hand. Pick another 0W20 with a W30 HTHS. Or OR cool the oil about 20 degrees or OR drive more conservatively. Ya have levers. Use them.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grumpy Bear For This Useful Post:

Basic (03-14-2024),foama (03-18-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    I clash with Eggman sometimes.
    When? I hadn't noticed.

Yet, I maintain the utmost respect for him
    Not sure why...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    When? I hadn't noticed.
    The clash may be only in my mind. It's possible you wouldn't have noticed.

Clash may not have been the best use of terms. If you changed your stance on Scotty Boy, however, I would love to hear it!

Any Telsa owner who is willing to mingle with us common folks who still drive Mirages is OK in my book! If your accident hadn't happened, I also know you would still be driving Speck. Any Mirage owner past or present is surely something special! That would include those still dreaming to own their first Mirage, too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    The clash may be only in my mind. It's possible you wouldn't have noticed.

Clash may not have been the best use of terms.
    Well, clash might well be accurate in the sense that whatever term comes to mind usually captures the impression made. As with so many things in life, sometimes it helps to keep in mind what's important, prioritize one's efforts and let go of whatever conflict - especially the petty - and move on.

If you changed your stance on Scotty Boy, however, I would love to hear it!
    Scotty has his own approach that seems to work for him, and good for him. I'm not a big fan of his work and simply don't spend a lot of time thinking about him. He reminds me of clickbait - a ruse to grab someone's attention for personal gain. The approach just doesn't work for me, but it works for him. Again, I don't spend a lot of time thinking about it.

Any Telsa owner who is willing to mingle with us common folks who still drive Mirages is OK in my book! If your accident hadn't happened, I also know you would still be driving Speck. Any Mirage owner past or present is surely something special! That would include those still dreaming to own their first Mirage, too.
    Said the high-roller with two cars among his other toys! It is us who are honored you choose to hang out with us.

But you probably know as much as anyone here that I have driven a lot of modest cars in my time with a goal to save money for more important things. It's just that I had reached a time in my life that I wanted something different, something that better aligns with where I'm at.

This discussion is very interesting. And like so much with this forum and its group of members the discussion doesn't exactly follow the stated topic; as if we were being manipulated!

Over the years of my participation here, the thought has come up to have a thread dedicated to the subject of the conduct & behavior of the forum's members, and how that relates to the forum rules/guidelines. It appears that it has happened on its own.

This forum is something special. From where I sit, the group tends to value this forum to the point that it is pretty much self-sustaining. If something comes along that lies outside the normal routine, some attention is called to it. I'm no seasoned expert, but it seems to me that this forum, made up of its members, works & works well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Basic (03-15-2024),inuvik (03-15-2024),Wil B (03-15-2024)