Thread: Car does not start when I put horn fuse

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Car does not start when I put horn fuse

Hi! I need help!

I have 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage. When I put 10 AMP horn fuse in the place where it should be - the car dashboard starts to blink on and off and does not start once I put the key to start the car. When I remove the horn fuse - the car starts with no problem. I have another 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage and I am 100% sure that I am putting the fuse in the correct spot, that the fuse is working, that the horn rely is working (I tested it from 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage which works - the horn works on that car)

Please help!

Country
    Poland
    Thanks
    Hi,

I would start with few questions
    - was the horn fuse blown or it was not there at all?
    - did it happen before?
    - when you try to start the engine with the fuse in - does it blow the fuse?

I am suspecting clock spring? Or some bad ground?
    Could you try starting the car with the fuse in but with the steering wheel turned right or left or maybe try going full left and right while attempting to start the car?

Interesting case - perfect for McGyver

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2021 Space Star Intense SDA 1.2 automatic: 34.5 mpg (US) ... 14.7 km/L ... 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.4 mpg (Imp)

Does it have an alarm(aftermarket)?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Poland
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Does it have an alarm(aftermarket)?
    Ah, you might be right Sherlock!
    I used to have an aftermarket alarm in one of my cars and boy.. it was playing crazy tricks on me when it was raining
    Let's wait for the answers and we may nail it down.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2021 Space Star Intense SDA 1.2 automatic: 34.5 mpg (US) ... 14.7 km/L ... 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Good morning! Thank you for replies!

1. Good catch! Yes - it did have an aftermarket alarm. After I purchased the car, the aftermarket alarm was disabled by removing 2-3 fuses in the area behind the steering wheel panel.

2. The alarm system worked for some time when I purchased the car and its noise slowly died together with a steering wheel horn noise almost at the same time. Then the horn fuse was replaced and after 1-2 month the horn died again. 2-3 fuses for the alarm were disabled after the horn died.

3. I do not how to check if the fuse gets blown when I start the car. Does the fuse pop out?

4. I will test the car with wheels all the way to the right/left tonight and will keep you updated.

Thank you!

It's highly doubtful a clockspring would ever stop a car from starting.

I'd remove that alarm entirely and properly. It might be better to pay someone to do that for you if you're not that knowledgeable about wiring and fuses.
    Last edited by Fummins; 03-14-2024 at 02:02 PM. Reason: spelling is hard

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

ThunderG (03-14-2024)

Country
    Poland
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It's highly doubtful a clockspring would ever stop a car from starting.
    Yup, you are right - got confused with the horn working/not working and thought of a clockspring.

I totally agree - get rid of the spaghetti wires of an aftermarket alarm, that seems to be the culprit