Thread: Found a unplugged connector. Can't tell what it is for.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Found a unplugged connector. Can't tell what it is for.

Hello,

Found an unplugged connector (shown on the photo). It is from the same wire that goes to the washer water pump.
    Could anybody please tell me what this connector is for?
    Name:  IMG_3861.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  89.2 KB

Thank you for your time.

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Rear washer pump for hatchback models.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    Rear washer pump for hatchback models.
    Nope. Hatchbacks use one washer pump
    But run backwards to feed the back window. I’d explain better but keystone

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Maybe its for models with DRL's in the fog light position
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Attachment 26770 Chitty picture but it looks like it goes to the LOW WASHER FLUID SENSOR to me. Clips to the side of the washer bottle then plugs into a short jumper/gender-bender harness to the sensor on the bottom of the bottle. Only 17+ have that sensor(not sure if they all do)

You can also see the single pump with two outlets, it runs in one direction to feed the windshield then runs in reverse (has a built-in check valve) to send piss to the back window(hatchback). You can't run both at the same time.
    Attachment 26771
    Blue -pump
    orange-black(car side)/white connector
    green-white harness clip
    pink-low fluid sensor

Edit: It's daylight now so I got some better pics. I think the connector that's taped up might be for the fog light? Can't be sure on that one.
    Attachment 26773
    Attachment 26774
    Last edited by Fummins; 03-18-2024 at 01:55 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (03-20-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you for the photos. I do actually have fog lights and they are powered by a different wire. I do not, however, have a washer fluid sensor in my model. So, I would assume this connector is for that washer fluid sensor that simply was not put in my car. I wonder if this is a normal practice? It is a waste of a connector, but on the other hand it is easier to manufacture exactly the same wires for all cars.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Attachment 26770 Chitty picture but it looks like it goes to the LOW WASHER FLUID SENSOR to me. Clips to the side of the washer bottle then plugs into a short jumper/gender-bender harness to the sensor on the bottom of the bottle. Only 17+ have that sensor(not sure if they all do)

You can also see the single pump with two outlets, it runs in one direction to feed the windshield then runs in reverse (has a built-in check valve) to send piss to the back window(hatchback). You can't run both at the same time.
    Attachment 26771
    Blue -pump
    orange-black(car side)/white connector
    green-white harness clip
    pink-low fluid sensor

Edit: It's daylight now so I got some better pics. I think the connector that's taped up might be for the fog light? Can't be sure on that one.
    Attachment 26773
    Attachment 26774
    the wire is for an H11 fog light. thats same socket as the wire from my fogs 2015 unit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mitsumi For This Useful Post:

OrganicFoxes (03-20-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CHILL View Post
    It is a waste of a connector, but on the other hand it is easier to manufacture exactly the same wires for all cars.
    You're a smart man. In many cases, it is less expensive to waste a connector than to have different wire harnesses. Because if there are more than 1 wire harnesses, you know good and well that it's going to get mixed up frequently in a Hyundai-Kia plant. So most manufacturers "reduce complexity" which leads to fewer mistakes / repairs, and sometimes leads to an extra connector laying out somewhere in a car.

I don't know that's the case, in this case. But it could be.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)