Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If the Mirage production stopped tomorrow... what parts would you horde?

I'll shorten the list to what I see normally wear withing 300k km/186k miles.
    - front and rear wheel bearing(or all 4).
    -A pair of cv axles(or just watch the boots and replace them before the axle is trashed).
    -Pads and rotors(rear brakes often last 300k til they're completely trashed). They often last far longer than 300k/186k miles.
    -maybe rear shocks(non-monroe)
    -Belt(s) 2-3 depending on brand I guess.

Or depending on how picky you are, just drive it and stock nothing. Wheel bearing usually give lot of notice before they pile up altogether. Tie rods and ball joints often last way past 300k even close to 500k in some cars. Stock nothing I say. I do have a couple front wheel bearings sitting in my garage now collecting dust...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    what about the exhaust hangers

do the new ones fail and rattle?
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyptr View Post
    I want all who reads this to chime in.

If the Mirage were to stop production tomorrow.... and all dealership shipments of parts were also to stop... and you wanted to continue driving your Mirage into the ground, until the wheels fell off, which parts have you personally replaced on your own car... or what parts would you stock up on based upon items that have broke, worn out or were needed for 'quality of life."

For instance, if you had a Mirage with 30,000 miles on it, and it was a 5 speed, you know that you would need a clutch cable sometime in the future, it would be a good idea to buy 2 and have them on hand.

If you no longer could get parts, what parts would it be prudent to buy now to keep you humming along...

What do you consider the end of production?

When Mitsubishi stops selling Mirages in North America?

When the single (AFAIK) plant in Asia (currently producing 400k annually last I looked) is shut down?

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I can still get parts for my 93 Geo Metro, Mirage parts are going to be around for awhile.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to geejoguy1 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-26-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    what about the exhaust hangers

do the new ones fail and rattle?
    They got rid of the metal weight on the later Mirages. Time will tell if that solved the problem. Instead of replacing them you can just wrap tape around the rod they mount to on the car. 5min fix, or try to squeeze the hanger with haywire or zip ties. The tape around method works pretty good, duct or electrical tape.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    They got rid of the metal weight on the later Mirages. Time will tell if that solved the problem. Instead of replacing them you can just wrap tape around the rod they mount to on the car. 5min fix, or try to squeeze the hanger with haywire or zip ties. The tape around method works pretty good, duct or electrical tape.
    DO you think that self sealing rubber tape you stretch out to 2x the length would be any good? That stuff seems to stick well to most stuff, bonds to itself perfectly and I discovered once you open a roll the rubber starts to dry out quickly and lose adhesion and stretchiness so you better use up the roll fast.

But holy crap! I've managed to repair countless items that were covered in worthless gooey sticky vinyl electrical tape. I don't care if 3m made it, that tape is still crud. Get it hot, the adhesive liquifies and starts to migrate. Get it cold and it could crack or become completely inflexible. I hate that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    DO you think that self sealing rubber tape you stretch out to 2x the length would be any good? That stuff seems to stick well to most stuff, bonds to itself perfectly and I discovered once you open a roll the rubber starts to dry out quickly and lose adhesion and stretchiness so you better use up the roll fast.

But holy crap! I've managed to repair countless items that were covered in worthless gooey sticky vinyl electrical tape. I don't care if 3m made it, that tape is still crud. Get it hot, the adhesive liquifies and starts to migrate. Get it cold and it could crack or become completely inflexible. I hate that stuff.
    Anything will work. Wrap a pair of gaunch around the peg, all you gotta do it build up some type of material around the metal peg/hanger on the body a bit to match the hole in the rubber dingus that's now egged out and too big.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-28-2024),Wallythacker (03-28-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks for the images my friend, they make it very clear

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would hoard things that are not available as a universal part or cannot be retrofitted easily from another car.
    SO the clutch stuff.. cable and clutch kit. Maybe a used engine/trans combo... axles, steering and suspension and an electrc throttle body.
    Brake stuff for sure but not much of it just a set of friction on hand at all times. This stuff will be readily available for a long time.

Universal Radiators and condensers are available and hoses can be fabricated for both. Power window motors can probably be rebuilt or converted to manual. Universal switches can be wired in to run the windows and climate control worst case. Ignition stuff can be bypassed too worst case.

Wheels and tires can be swapped from other cars.

I can make a car last along time... The wife might refuse to ride in it but it will do what I need it to.

But I am by nature a part hoarder. I have close to 100 oil filters in total for my various vehicles (6 cars a jeep a truck and 4 motorcycles) along with 50 gallons of oil or so.