Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If the Mirage production stopped tomorrow... what parts would you horde?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

If the Mirage production stopped tomorrow... what parts would you horde?

I want all who reads this to chime in.

If the Mirage were to stop production tomorrow.... and all dealership shipments of parts were also to stop... and you wanted to continue driving your Mirage into the ground, until the wheels fell off, which parts have you personally replaced on your own car... or what parts would you stock up on based upon items that have broke, worn out or were needed for 'quality of life."

For instance, if you had a Mirage with 30,000 miles on it, and it was a 5 speed, you know that you would need a clutch cable sometime in the future, it would be a good idea to buy 2 and have them on hand.

If you no longer could get parts, what parts would it be prudent to buy now to keep you humming along...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyptr View Post
    I want all who reads this to chime in.

If the Mirage were to stop production tomorrow.... and all dealership shipments of parts were also to stop... and you wanted to continue driving your Mirage into the ground, until the wheels fell off, which parts have you personally replaced on your own car... or what parts would you stock up on based upon items that have broke, worn out or were needed for 'quality of life."

For instance, if you had a Mirage with 30,000 miles on it, and it was a 5 speed, you know that you would need a clutch cable sometime in the future, it would be a good idea to buy 2 and have them on hand.

If you no longer could get parts, what parts would it be prudent to buy now to keep you humming along...

I wouldn't hoard one single item for my Mirage.

Dealerships make money off of servicing vehicles. Parts for the Mirage (10+ year run) are not going to suddenly disappear any time soon.

Aftermarket parts will exist for decades. I have zero concerns about getting parts for my Mirage in my lifetime.

That already happened to my Delica. They quit building that model in 06. I don't have a much of a problem sourcing parts even though it was never sold in North America. Except the odd random part and a windshield. Cheapest one I can get shipped to me is about $1000. Seeing is over rated anyways.

If I needed to keep a Mirage going til the end of time I still wouldn't buy anything from a dealer. Everything I need can already be found aftermarket. If the North American aftermarket dries up there's always the internet. Use it to shop overseas.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

BigMW (03-22-2024),inuvik (03-23-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    That already happened to my Delica. They quit building that model in 06. I don't have a much of a problem sourcing parts even though it was never sold in North America. Except the odd random part and a windshield. Cheapest one I can get shipped to me is about $1000. Seeing is over rated anyways.

If I needed to keep a Mirage going til the end of time I still wouldn't buy anything from a dealer. Everything I need can already be found aftermarket. If the North American aftermarket dries up there's always the internet. Use it to shop overseas.
    Yes, I think mirage will last longer outside of North America, and I would just source parts from elsewhere. Europe would likely be my first choice as I have friends and family in Poland, someone would send me the part I want.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I wouldn't hoard one single item for my Mirage.

Dealerships make money off of servicing vehicles. Parts for the Mirage (10+ year run) are not going to suddenly disappear any time soon.

Aftermarket parts will exist for decades. I have zero concerns about getting parts for my Mirage in my lifetime.
    Agreed. There is even parts available for Geo Metro though not a lot.

By US law, per my local Japanese mechanic, auto manufacturers are required to produce parts for 20 years max.

Hoarding parts is dumb IMO as cars are inevitably replaceable. Agree to disagree whoever.
    Last edited by defensivetackle99; 03-22-2024 at 11:19 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Though on the other hands, some OEM accessories may be worth buying before it get discontinued if there is something to like. I can see folks in 2029 wanting to get a OEM center console armrest, piano black bezel trims or shift knob etc preferably brand new but MAYBE near impossible to get for cheap. Junkyard or eBay would be the place to go. Just my thought.

I am already considering Rockford Fosgate Kit and Air Dam body kit to my G4 lol but I can live without em given the asking price.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Alright, i'm going to sound like a kook... but my question was, What replacement parts would be needed to keep a car (A late model Mirage in this case) running, for an additional 5 plus years... if you could not get parts.

We will take an example, and this was not my thoughts when I started the thread... but had to come up with this because everybody is fighting and saying... oh there is 10 years of parts no problem. So, what if China took over Thailand (I know the current situation is Taiwan) but just go with it... and they prevent exporting anything to the United Stated... no cars, no parts.

This is just an exercise to get a list of parts people have replaced, or needed, that's all this is.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle99 View Post
    Though on the other hands, some OEM accessories may be worth buying before it get discontinued if there is something to like. ....., piano black bezel trims
    Interestingly enough, I was at the dealership getting some keys made, and I looked at the 2024 Mirage brochure... it did not list the Red center console Bezels... only the black and one other color (i dont know what that was, but it was not Red, because I 'also' have a Ralliart, and that kinda stuck out to me. *Just a sidenote.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Alright, i'm going to sound like a kook... but my question was, What replacement parts would be needed to keep a car (A late model Mirage in this case) running, for an additional 5 plus years... if you could not get parts.

We will take an example, and this was not my thoughts when I started the thread... but had to come up with this because everybody is fighting and saying... oh there is 10 years of parts no problem. So, what if China took over Thailand (I know the current situation is Taiwan) but just go with it... and they prevent exporting anything to the United Stated... no cars, no parts.

This is just an exercise to get a list of parts people have replaced, or needed, that's all this is.
    Fair enough

I will play:
    Window switches and motors

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts

Tires, brake pads/front rotors, & wiper blades. Those have been my 2017 Mirage needs. I might need those items again in the next 5 years. I would add a serpentine belt, and clutch cable for manuals to that list, because I keep those stored in my Mirage.

Outside of fluids & filters, I don't expect to replace much else. Thus, I would rely on junk yards to cover everything else in your hypothetical world.

If I wanted to fix up a Ford Model T, used parts still exist today. Then again, some 15 million were sold a hundred years ago!

Car models disappear all the time. Look at all the cars Ford & Chevy have dropped alone. Cars like the Fit, Yaris, Prius c & others are all gone. Companies like Suzuki automobiles have left completely. Buick was a car company that doesn't carry a single car today.

There is nothing special about the Mirage to be concerned about in my opinion. If some world leaders could have things their way, we may not be driving gas cars some day.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (03-23-2024)