Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2020 Mitsubishi mirage g4 cvt failure

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Good timing!
    I just looked it up using a random Massachusetts zip code hoping one would be close.
    Ya now I get it that you saw I was from Massachusetts and looked for me. At first I thought "what are the odds!) It's in beautiful shape. The vehicle it came from took a shot from the passenger side mid car. Only thing is one of the transmission cooler lines is bent pretty bad probably from removal or storage. I sent them a email with a picture. Will probably just swap it out with cooler from sisters transmission

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Steveystrappa For This Useful Post:

inuvik (04-11-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveystrappa View Post
    Ya now I get it that you saw I was from Massachusetts and looked for me. At first I thought "what are the odds!) It's in beautiful shape. The vehicle it came from took a shot from the passenger side mid car. Only thing is one of the transmission cooler lines is bent pretty bad probably from removal or storage. I sent them a email with a picture. Will probably just swap it out with cooler from sisters transmission
    Dropping old transmission out today. We'll starting anyways. Question since it's the same year transmission I shouldn't need to relearn the tcm I'm guessing? I do remember seeing some Manuel relearn procedures in the manuel you posted for the 2015.

I usually don't have any driveability issues after replacement. I think I had trouble with one acting weird after replacing the valve body or fluid change. I can't remember, too many beers ago. Ended up doing some relearn procedures, it was a pita to find a place to drive like they say to in the procedures.

The tcm is inside the car, I don't think there's a module inside these transmissions, though I think the Nissan version might have some controller inside. I've had to replace a gm 6l90e and send it to the dealer to program the tcm inside it so it'd shift properly.

Just be sure the fluid level is correct, there's a chart kicking around here somewhere that you use to compare dipstick readings to fluid temp, as per scan tool.

Edit: There is a tiny module of some kind on the Mirage valve body. I don't know what it is.
    Last edited by Fummins; 04-11-2024 at 05:53 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (04-11-2024),OrganicFoxes (04-13-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    After a busy last couple days I managed to squeeze time in and got the whole transmission dropped and out of vehicle. Wasn't to bad and had plenty of room for the most part to work. Took roughly 6 hours to get out of vehicle, working at a nice relaxing pace. I also am doing it in my driveway. I have a nice low profile transmission jack that works great and definitely helps a bunch. Will be much easier putting back together. Also the manual from the 2015 mirage cvt diagram is identical to the 2020 model I did. Fummins already told me that but just was confirming every nut,bolt and connection on that diagram was the same . All you need is mostly 12mm or 10mm besides the torque convertor coupling bolts which were 17mm I believe. Also 22mm for crankshaft and 17mm for the 3 transmission mount bolts/nuts on top. You will also need 32mm for axel nuts and 17mm for struts bolts so you can remove axel . Very cut and dry removal and I will let you know how instalation goes once done.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Steveystrappa For This Useful Post:

inuvik (04-16-2024)

Took roughly 6 hours to get out of vehicle, working at a nice relaxing pace.
    Relaxing transmission removal. Therapeutic even?

Glad it's going well and that you're keeping us posted.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Relaxing transmission removal. Therapeutic even?

Glad it's going well and that you're keeping us posted.
    🤣🤣🤣Not completely relaxing lol Their were a few things that didnt compelty ut easily due to awkward angles and no hand room.

My favorite part is that round connector next to the dipstick.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    My favorite part is that round connector next to the dipstick.
    🤣🤣dude I messed with that for a while then I said screw it ill come back to it later when I absolutely need to. Stubborn little connector. Definitely nerve racking being gentle enough to not break it but strong enough to get it out 🤣

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Update!
    I finished installing the used transmission last Thursday I believe it was. Everything went really smooth for the most part. I think the hardest part was getting everything lined up flush initially to install mount on top right and first bolts on top. All in all took me about 10-12 hours off and on of continuous work. Did initially have a small issue getting shift lever adjusted correctly which but found in the manual instructions on proper adjustment. Also took a little bit of driving and checking and filling to get fluid level perfect which I found is crucial in proper operation of these cvts . I've been driving it since then as my sister has been using my mother's car who currently can't drive due to brain cancer unfortunately. I got extremely lucky with this used transmission as it only had 11k miles and sure drives like it! Just averaged 45mpg the last drive I took. Have driven over 150 miles so far and no issues. This whole thing has made me love these little mirage cars. Even though I'm 6'3 300ibs and look funny in it I am seriously considering getting one for my fiance as it's extremely economically friendly! I wanna thank you all for your tips and advice throughout this repair!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steveystrappa For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-22-2024),inuvik (04-22-2024),Top_Fuel (04-22-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,433 Times in 1,039 Posts
    Steve - Your sister should sing your praises from upon high! I'm close to the same size and you. It wouldn't hurt to have one of your very own. And, very sorry to hear about your mother...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-22-2024)