Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: doing front brakes - tools needed

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    And we expect to see pictures of this tower mounted on your Mirage.
    AHAHAHAHA! Imagine a 40 ft. tower plunked on the Mirage roof! Think I might need guy wires?

Maybe I'll install it upright in my one tail light trailer!

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    For field days. You'd get great reception.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Use it for ROTA, re*ards on the air!

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Wow.

That was one of the easier brake jobs I have done. It was 3c outside. That was not pleasant.

Since both my long coma and various ops I have slowed down considerably. It took me 3 hours for a 1 hour job. The pass. side I did first expecting the rust to be worst here. Not bad. It all come apart OK. I really had to kiss the rotor and HARD with my sledgehammer probably 20-25 times! I nearly gave up and called the tow shop but after a short break to warm up I tried again and pounded loose the rotor.

The new stuff went on fine, the new rotor was nicely crosshatched, the pads had channels to let the dust escape.

The driver side was much easier. It came apart faster, the rotor popped off after 3-4 hits, the rubber boots for the bolts did not pop off and it all went together in a breeze. Total driver side time, maybe 35 mins.

I went for a city drive with hard stops to help seat the brakes and noticed ALL what I thought the exhaust bracket noise was GONE. Are you telling me that insane rattling I heard was from the worn out front pads flopping around? say what?

Anyhow, no more exhaust bracket noise and no more warning light on the dash from low brake fluid, all seems well!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-30-2024)

Country
    Poland
    Thanks
    Was swapping my wheels and decided to check on front brakes as they got slightly louder. To my surprise the pads on the front are almost completely worn out at 26k km (!). Ordering new pads to have fun in the coming days...
    I guess driving it mostly in the city by my wife could be 2 deciding factors here

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2021 Space Star Intense SDA 1.2 automatic: 34.5 mpg (US) ... 14.7 km/L ... 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.4 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bunio14 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-30-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bunio14 View Post
    Was swapping my wheels and decided to check on front brakes as they got slightly louder. To my surprise the pads on the front are almost completely worn out at 26k km (!). Ordering new pads to have fun in the coming days...
    I guess driving it mostly in the city by my wife could be 2 deciding factors here
    Hopefully the calipers are not bound on the pins. Good luck with your brake job.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Poland
    Thanks
    Ordered the parts, did the thorough clean up already. All looks good, applied new lube everywhere needed. Should work for couple of days more before I get the parts. Will have to check the torque specs out of curiosity to assemble it back properly.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2021 Space Star Intense SDA 1.2 automatic: 34.5 mpg (US) ... 14.7 km/L ... 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Poland
    Thanks
    So, did the brake job over the weekend. Surprisingly, the inner pad (piston side) was much thicker than the outer one. Based on my experience the one that is worn out more was usually from the piston side, also this pad has a metal noise sensor. In my case no way it would ever work. I cleaned everything thoroughly, installed new pads - breaking nicely, not heating. Will see how much this set of pads lasts. When pushing the piston back to fit the new pads, I did not like how the dust seal fits on the piston, it was going over it, covering it partially - tried my best but I am afraid it may get damaged. Question - is the rotor bolted on the mirage? It was sitting tightly but could see no bolts like with other cars, the only bolt would be the axle one, didn't want to hammer it to see. I guess next time I change the tires I will take off the rotors and give everything even a better clean.
    Edit: I read in one of the posts that upper sliding pins have rubber on them, in my case on both front wheels it was on the bottom ones, not sure if that makes any difference at all - I put them back the way it was.
    Last edited by bunio14; 04-16-2024 at 11:40 AM.

The rotor isn't bolted on. They rust in place. There should be one or two threaded holes that you can thread a bolt into to help press the rotor off. I can't remember the thread size but it's pretty much any bolt on a Mirage that uses a 12mm head.

And again, I can't remember which caliper bolt has the rubber on them. It should be the same across all Mirages I'd think.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

bunio14 (04-16-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    my brake pads were completely gone and I was using the backing plate as friction material.

I think given the issues I am having with the front end my front tires will come off and I will give everything a good look and check for tightness and add some lube, I wire bushed the spots the pads slide on but no lube, only had a type of grease that I did not think was good for brakes.