Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: first post, got some questions about the mirage (hatch vs sedan)?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Reviews of the Mitsubishi Space Star from Europe are good to check out, too.

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Oh ya...forgot to ask. To those of you that own/ or have driven both the hatch and sedan...how do you find the handling between the two models? I'm not sure if the sedan has a longer wheelbase, but i would imagine it to be a bit more stable (cross-winds), and have a bit better handling, over the hatch (also due to lower roofline)???
    Fab

Quote Originally Posted by fabchef View Post
    Fummins, thanks for the info. I really don't like the nanny system's on cars, in general. I remember the first time I experienced it was with my wife's passat wagon. It scared me, when i wanted to accelerate, to get out of a sticky situation, and the engine speed cut out, because of wheel slippage. Hated it.
    Other thing that bugs be are tpms's, i check the pressure of the tires often, no need for sensors, that eventually turn on the light, because the batteries on the sensors are gone.

I've seen Jonnymullet's video's and it was those video's that peaked my interest into these cars. I found his videos to be honest, straightforward and with the consumers perspective (unlike a lot of other reviews that bash it for no reason).
    Fab
    We have a few sonics at work that have the absolute worst traction control. If you pull into traffic and a wheel thinks about breaking traction it cuts power and slows the car to a crawl. I have to turn it off everytime I drive those things. It's so easy to spin the tires in the sonics. The Mirage is completely different, You can floor it and the traction control light will blink, the car will do it's best to try and gain traction but still let you keep going til it eventually says screw it at around 60kph I find.

As for your other post, I'm 99% sure the G4 has a longer wheelbase and handles/rides better on the highway. At least from what I recall reading over the last 7 years. And the G4 would likely give you more room for luggage while carrying passenger though the hatchback is more versatile. I can still fit a weeks worth of groceries for a family of 5 in the back of my hatchback with the rear seats up. I don't know if the seat backs even flip down in the G4.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Fummins....from what i've seen, the rear seats on the sedan DO NOT fold down, there is just a small pass-thru, which kinda sucks, but i guess it also adds a bit more rigidity in the handling/suspension?? That being said...i'd still take the sedan.
    Fab

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    fabchef - My sons are older now. 19, 21 & 23. A couple years back, the 4 of us (or at least 3 of us) went to Knoxville and back in my hatch. Bout like 250 miles each way (from south side of Atlanta metro). They never complained about rear seat room. I moved a couple notches forward just to give them some extra room. I also ran about 80 mph to get the trip over ASAP to keep them from getting uncomfortable.

Of course, they are young and in good physical shape. Easier to stay comfortable like that. If you have small kids, they too would be comfortable in the back seat of a hatch. I'm not trying to sway you to a hatch. I think the G4 looks better. I chose a hatch because I've never had one. It has grown on me and I do like it.

One last thing. Trunk space versus hatch space. It's not a real good apples to apples kind of comparison. With the seat up, yeah, there is limited space behind the rear seat of the hatch. Unlike the space in the trunk for the G4. However, if you're needing to haul something with some girth, you'll get it done with the hatch before you get it done in the G4. For instance, I bought one of my sons a dorm room fridge. It was big enough I don't think it would have fit in the trunk of a G4 ... but it did fit in the back of the hatch. So I got to roll down to his college getting 40 mpg. Versus a pick up truck at 17 to 20 mpg.

Just things to consider. Course if you want to roll big pimpin', a blue Gee-Foe is the way to go...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    7milesout... thanks for the info. I do understand what you are saying about comparing trunk size between the hatch and sedan. I do sometimes need the extra loading space, and for this, we could use my wifes car bmw x1, as the rear seats fold down. This is if we get the G4. As i said, the mirage would be the grocery-getter, and driving with the family.
    The only thing i see, is that the pass-thru on the sedan seems kinda small. I wonder if 2 sets of skis and a snowboard could fit in it? Hmm....
    Fab

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fabchef View Post
    7milesout... thanks for the info. I do understand what you are saying about comparing trunk size between the hatch and sedan. I do sometimes need the extra loading space, and for this, we could use my wifes car bmw x1, as the rear seats fold down. This is if we get the G4. As i said, the mirage would be the grocery-getter, and driving with the family.
    The only thing i see, is that the pass-thru on the sedan seems kinda small. I wonder if 2 sets of skis and a snowboard could fit in it? Hmm....
    Fab
    Yes it should. Watch this video as a reference.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BfC3hY...Jldmlldw%3D%3D

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Defensive....nice, thanks for the video. It's a good review. From the looks of it, the trunk might be almost the same size as my wife's x1!

It seems that while the 1.2 is a small engine, it seems to be quite reliable. Are they easy to maintain, work on?
    Fab

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    fabchef - One of the problems you're going to face is ... a Mirage is going to make your X1 look like crap.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

They’re the worst. You gotta take half the engine apart to change spark plugs, heater motor replacement involves pulling the brake and gas pedal, and half the dash, timing belt has to be replaced every 50k. Jk. If you can count to potato, you can fix pretty much anything that could go wrong on these cars with a handful of tools. Everything is built to be easily replaced for the most part.

It’s snowing here again today. So far I’ve drive. 250km, fuel gauge reads 3/4 and shows 370km til empty. Should greatly 500-550km from this tank. I just drive it and don’t care about fuel economy but it still usually gets over 40mpg us.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)