Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto Stop Go Malfunction

Country
    UK
    Thanks

Auto Stop Go Malfunction

My UK 2019 Mirage only has 3.5k miles. I bought it a few months ago with only 2.2k miles and it was 'as new' condition wise from a main dealer, fully serviced.
    The AS&G is very sporadic but the dealer is telling me there are lots of different scenario's for the system to operate, which I accept after reading the Owners Handbook. However, on a few occasions the warning light flashes orange when the system is enabled. The dealer (150 miles from me) accepted there may be a problem and suggested I go to my local main dealer to get it checked before my 5-yr warranty runs out in mid June. However, before I have had chance to do that, the system started working more regularly but twice last week the engine failed to start automatically after an auto-stop, which held up a queue of traffic on both occasions and was pretty scary.
    I read somewhere (possibly on here) and saw a recall letter, that there was a fault with the software on the AS&G system, which described exactly what happened to my car. I took the car to the local main dealer and he checked my vehicle details and said there were no outstanding recalls but agreed, under warranty to check the battery/charging system and has booked me in for next week.
    My theory is that the car is coming up to 5 years old but only done extremely low miles and unused for long periods by the PO and hence the battery could have discharged to quite a low level on several occasions. I was going to give the battery a long charge from a battery charger but I think it's an unacceptable fault in the software, as described in the recall letter I saw, that the car can stop but not restart reliably and I would like it fixing before the warranty expires. I guess the main dealer will just try to sell me a new battery as he wasn't aware of any recall pertaining to AS&G.

Has anyone experienced this fault and at what month/year was it fixed? My car was registered in June 2019 and the recall letter I saw was dated 2019 but I guess my car may have been manufactured a good few months before it was sold and registered.

Loving the car by the way... fully loaded model with infotainment/satnav/cruise/folding mirrors/rear sensors/heated seats etc. Missing a rear camera but I just bought a used one to fit from Japan via my mate there for the sum of £8 (compared with £120 from a UK breakers) I am an Electronics Engineer, so DIY fitting/wiring in not a problem but I guess the dealer will sting me for setting the entertainment unit to enable the camera . (I previously had (still have) 2012 Colt CZ2 which has just gone by 100k miles absolutely trouble free).

Incidentally, I got the attached rear view camera retrofitting instructions (albeit for Mirage facelift model) from a dealer in Ripon if anyone is interested.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/xk3a2...z7seuwk2c&dl=0

Name:  Screenshot 2024-03-28 003505.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  35.9 KB

Last edited by AshimotoK0; 03-28-2024 at 12:40 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AshimotoK0 For This Useful Post:

BigMW (03-28-2024),Fummins (03-27-2024),mohammad (03-29-2024)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    With the car being 2019... the batteries generally last a long time, far longer than the average automobile... but in this case with very low mileage for the year, I would change it. People do experience slight electrical glitches from a 'going' battery, and it is 5 years old (despite what the service date might say).

Auto/Start stop is one of those technical gimmicks, where it makes sense if in heavy stopped traffic all the time and you will get marginally better milege... BUT the downside is because its a technical gimmick, the downside is everytime it is used it will wear out your starter. For instance, a Starter motor only has a lifecycle of a certain number of cranks... we'll make up a number, if it can start 100,000 times before wearing out... and a typical car only has to start once per drive... BUT an auto/start car has to restart the car 6 times in that same drive... you will wear out the starter (6 TIMES FASTER)... and then it will need to be replaced, plus the cost of a mechanic putting it in. I would say that GAS prices would have to be very high in order to break even... not mentioning the inconvenience of your car out of commission, even if its only a day. If it were me, I'd shut that feature off unless you are stuck in a real slow moving traffic jam or other similar situation. Anyway, that's my rant.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Good points, but the battery & starter are easily tested. There are battery testing devices that will indicate a battery's health. And as for starters, what can be tested there? Either it spins the engine or it doesn't? Has anyone had an intermittent failure with a starter? Just thinking out loud on this.

In this instance, it might be time to replace the battery. Regarding the starter - if it still works, why replace it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    If you plunk the same kind of back up camera into the same place on the rear liftgate, and fix the software as you mentioned, there's no dealership smart enough to notice it is not original equipment. It would be like throwing 101 bananas into a monkey cage instead of 100. They'd never know the difference.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

AshimotoK0 (03-30-2024),mohammad (03-29-2024)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    My main reason for posting was to try to ascertain if my car has the up to date coding of the ECU that deals with the AS&Go . it's obvious from the recall letter (that somebody else got not me) that there was at one time a problem with the AS&Go feature when the vehicle battery is in a low charge state and I want that sorting out before I buy a new battery (if indeed it is required)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Well I took my Mirage into the main dealer near me for an overnight battery charge and battery check and diagnostic check, all under warranty.

They found no fault with the battery or charging system but told me there were instances of a fault 'excessive clutch switch operation'. Which evidently affects the ability of the car to restart after an AS&G stop.

I have since emailed Mitsubishi in the UK technical and got this back.

"A member of the technical team has advised the following -

The clutch pedal switch/operation can influence the starting of the engine when AS&G has operated as it needs to see a signal from this for both stopping and starting the engine. We have seen instances where the customer rests their on the pedal causing the system to not work.

Was the customer able to demonstrate the issue to the dealer? We would advise they do this and the dealer drive records the engine data to see the operation of the switches (The dealer can then submit a Technical Service Request(TSR) and we could advise them on this)
    "

it all seems a load of b*llocks to me. I still think it's a fault with the design of the AS&G system and it's not fit for purpose.

I just wish I could permanently swich the AS&G off but this is evidently not possible.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AshimotoK0 View Post
    Well I took my Mirage into the main dealer near me for an overnight battery charge and battery check and diagnostic check, all under warranty.

They found no fault with the battery or charging system but told me there were instances of a fault 'excessive clutch switch operation'. Which evidently affects the ability of the car to restart after an AS&G stop.

I have since emailed Mitsubishi in the UK technical and got this back.

"A member of the technical team has advised the following -

The clutch pedal switch/operation can influence the starting of the engine when AS&G has operated as it needs to see a signal from this for both stopping and starting the engine. We have seen instances where the customer rests their on the pedal causing the system to not work.

Was the customer able to demonstrate the issue to the dealer? We would advise they do this and the dealer drive records the engine data to see the operation of the switches (The dealer can then submit a Technical Service Request(TSR) and we could advise them on this)
    "

it all seems a load of b*llocks to me. I still think it's a fault with the design of the AS&G system and it's not fit for purpose.

I just wish I could permanently swich the AS&G off but this is evidently not possible.
    Have you tried adjusting the clutch cable and the clutch switches?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Car has only done 3.5k miles so shouldn't need adjusting .. anyway dealer should have checked that out.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AshimotoK0 View Post
    Car has only done 3.5k miles so shouldn't need adjusting .. anyway dealer should have checked that out.
    Other forum members have found improvement by adjusting the clutch cable, myself included. And you are not wrong that it shouldn't need adjustment. However, in your situation surely something needs adjusting.

The cable adjustment is easy. I'll look for some posts about it here for you.

I hope you are able to get this straightened out.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Found it: Service manual: clutch adjuster

Be sure to browse the whole thread - lots of good information there. However, the original post does not mention the locking mechanism.

No tools required, just a ruler to measure free play (though even that's not necessary.)

Last edited by Eggman; 04-05-2024 at 10:09 PM.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

7milesout (04-05-2024),AshimotoK0 (04-15-2024),BigMW (04-11-2024)