Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Idiots not keeping their word

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I think hanging out with a lot of you would be a blast.
    It would be a lot of fun, until I fell asleep. That WOULD BE blast. You'd have to jam your earholes with peanut butter and the earphones over that if you wanted to sleep!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-28-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I'm spitting nails about now
    I made a deal with a guy to buy an item and told him I really had to run a couple errands that were time sensitive and he'd get paid via EMT within 2 hours.
    I get home in 75 minutes and sit down to EMT dude his money. I see an email from him virtually 3minutes ago. I think, "huh", I open it to read he sold the item and got the money. His reason? There were too many people interested. So I took the opportunity to call him untrustworthy, a virtual con artist and other choice but accurate terms.

This probably wouldn't annoy me nearly as much except yesterday I responded to an ad telling the guy I'd take it only to get a return email explaining to me why I would not like the item!!! Like dude, WTF do you know about my needs? After half a dozen back and forth emails dude finally concedes the item is OK for me (why thank you dude, god bless, I am not worthy) then goes on to tell me I can't come and pick up the item (one village over) because it's OUT ON LOAN!!! Then wtf did you advertise it in the first place you retard? So I ask if he can call it in. He's not willing. I ask when it might come back, Sometime is the answer. Holy f*ck, the human race is populated with far more specimens belonging in supervised care than I ever thought possible.

I belong to a small group where your word is your reputation. you make a commitment you better bloody well follow through. I can only hope I get a chance to let as many others know these dude don't keep their words.
    I hear you Wallythacker....I live in a similar area where your reputation is built on the strength of your word and like you have noticed a decline in the ethics of some vendors.
    I teamed up recently with an older fellow where we buy & refurbish used side X sides & four wheelers and so far so good.
    But recently he told me of an instance where he made a deal on Kijiji and told the vendor he'd be down in 2 hours with the cash.
    He's old school, no etransfers....cash in hand....but this vendor was sorta local so he felt confident.
    He was still red in the face as he told me he pulled into the fellows lane just in time to see another truck pull out with the same make/model of sidexside he had agreed to buy on their trailer.....he went to ask the vendor and was told, "he got here first with the money"....Don left before he said something he'd regret.
    If we have a pending sale we'll tell the other prospective customers that there's another guy viewing it at * O'clock and if he turns it down that they're the next in line.
    My buddy burned $100 in gas for nothing.
    And then there's the tire kickers that negotiate online by bidding from a location that's 5-600 miles away and gripe about the cost of fuel to get to us to pick the machine up.....what do they expect, I'm gonna grant a fuel rebate on the price?
    I told one guy if he didn't wanna burn the gas he was better off bidding on local machines.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strawboss For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-28-2024),Wallythacker (03-29-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by strawboss View Post
    I hear you Wallythacker....I live in a similar area where your reputation is built on the strength of your word and like you have noticed a decline in the ethics of some vendors.
    I teamed up recently with an older fellow where we buy & refurbish used side X sides & four wheelers and so far so good.
    But recently he told me of an instance where he made a deal on Kijiji and told the vendor he'd be down in 2 hours with the cash.
    He's old school, no etransfers....cash in hand....but this vendor was sorta local so he felt confident.
    He was still red in the face as he told me he pulled into the fellows lane just in time to see another truck pull out with the same make/model of sidexside he had agreed to buy on their trailer.....he went to ask the vendor and was told, "he got here first with the money"....Don left before he said something he'd regret.
    If we have a pending sale we'll tell the other prospective customers that there's another guy viewing it at * O'clock and if he turns it down that they're the next in line.
    My buddy burned $100 in gas for nothing.
    And then there's the tire kickers that negotiate online by bidding from a location that's 5-600 miles away and gripe about the cost of fuel to get to us to pick the machine up.....what do they expect, I'm gonna grant a fuel rebate on the price?
    I told one guy if he didn't wanna burn the gas he was better off bidding on local machines.
    Ugh, the total lack of common courtesy exhibited by these buffoons is astounding! You can bet if you sold something out from under them the same way they do they'd be on your back for weeks digging at you every chance they can find. Eventually they stop harassing you but the mental toll has taken its price.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-28-2024),strawboss (03-29-2024)

I've been lucky and usually have pretty good experience selling and buying stuff. I bought my current Mirage from a fellow forum member. He was great to deal with and even delivered the car to me from over an hour away!

Dealing with random Kijiji people has been a mixed bag. When I sold my one holiday trailer I had hundreds of people reply by phone, text and message within hours of posting it. The first person that called minutes after I posted the add begged me to hold it for a few hour til they could come look at it. I agreed and in the meantime had a bunch of people try to start a bidding was without even looking at it. I just told everyone that someone else has first dibs and I'll let everyone know if they don't want it. That pissed a lot of people off lol

I once took an afternoon off work to go and look at a truck an hour and a half away. While I was there looking at it some guys pulled up, talked to the owner and drove off in it! I asked where they were going. "To the bank" the seller said, "they're buying it" lol
    I figured it was for the best, it was a Ford.

For the most part, I find that most people that respond to an ad within minutes of posting it seem to just low ball and/or waste your time.
    When I was selling my Fummins I didn't get many replies and the ones I did were mostly complete time wasters. I had a guy from Northern BC ask for tons of pictures of everything! Asked if it'd make it home if he flew and drove it back. Didn't want it unless the e-brake worked so I got that all working and started picking away at fixing a few other minor things then the guy. I called and asked what his plans were and he said he bought something else instead...

One guy really pissed me off. I was hard up for money, paying tons for child care plus child support at the time. I had to sell a ton of stuff to keep my mortgage paid. I was getting rid of some basically new take-off wheels and tires from my rzr. Guy showed up and had a similar sob story so I let him take them all for 1/2 of what I had them listed for. The next day they were back on kijiji for double what I had them listed for, the guy even used the same pictures I used in my own ad! Could be worse...

I don't screw people over and don't bother even responding to an ad unless I'm pretty much already bought the thing in my head lol I won't bother calling someone unless I think their asking price is fair. I hate dickering with people. When I sold my one rzr I was 100% straight up with the guy, showed him everything that was worn out, told him it used oil. Stupid me tried to be funny when I posted the ad and wrote"come low ball me in person". Hoping to weed out the dumb lowball internet offers. The guy that was looking at the rzr reminded me of that too before saying "don't be offended but I'm gonna low ball you" it was pretty funny. It worked out fine for both of us. I gave him a ton of spare parts that he wasn't expecting.

If my house didn't look like it was from an episode of hoarders I'd give most of ya'll my code too lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-29-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I forgot about this incident.

A few months back I sold a set of wheels with worn out tires on them. It was posted for a long time. Made a deal with some guy who ran some kind of garage. I think the deal was for $400. The shop owner sends his minion with $400 cash. The minion shows up and says, "would you do $200?" I said, "hell no. The deal was for $400." The minion tried to continue negotiating with some bs sob stories. But I knew he was looking to put $200 of that cash from his boss in his pocket. I told him for all I care the wheels can just sit there and wait for a buyer. $400 was the deal, it's that or get out of here.

He forked over the $400. It really pissed me off though. I should have told his boss, but I try to run straight honest deals, and I prefer not to be a snitch.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-29-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I've been lucky and usually have pretty good experience selling and buying stuff. I bought my current Mirage from a fellow forum member. He was great to deal with and even delivered the car to me from over an hour away!

Dealing with random Kijiji people has been a mixed bag.

it was a Ford.

For the most part, I find that most people that respond to an ad within minutes of posting it seem to just low ball and/or waste your time.

I don't screw people over and don't bother even responding to an ad unless I'm pretty much already bought the thing in my head lol I won't bother calling someone unless I think their asking price is fair.
    Oh, you have to be my long lost brother. Our MO for buying and selling is virtually identical.
    I can't believe the Ford incident!!! However, If it was a Jokestroke you dodged a bullet!!

One thing I REALLY hate about the Kijiji 'tards. My ad has I IGNORE "IS IT AVAILABLE" MESSAGES, right at the beginning so it can't be missed. What do I always get? You guessed it.

I've learned that the Kijiji tards that reply instantly have watchlists set so when certain items get posted they can act fact and maybe snag a bargain they can flip. Those clowns are not worth the time of day. I think buddy who got your tires was one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I forgot about this incident.

A few months back I sold a set of wheels with worn out tires on them. It was posted for a long time. Made a deal with some guy who ran some kind of garage. I think the deal was for $400. The shop owner sends his minion with $400 cash. The minion shows up and says, "would you do $200?" I said, "hell no. The deal was for $400." The minion tried to continue negotiating with some bs sob stories. But I knew he was looking to put $200 of that cash from his boss in his pocket. I told him for all I care the wheels can just sit there and wait for a buyer. $400 was the deal, it's that or get out of here.

He forked over the $400. It really pissed me off though. I should have told his boss, but I try to run straight honest deals, and I prefer not to be a snitch.
    Well my second brother, the same nonsense was happening to me when I was selling some expensive tools. A minion let slip he had $750 on him from the boss and the minion was trying to haggle me down to $375. Geez.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I don't really buy & sell much on kijiji & places, but my experiences have been mixed. A guy had a "wanted" add for a snow blower part & I had a used one. Told him he could have it for free if he paid shipping or he could buy a new part from any small engine place for ~$30. Even gave him the part # & verified the warehouse had stock.
    He wanted eleventeen hundred pics, so I took all that time & sent pics. He told me he wanted it. How much to ship?? I packaged it up, Closed the shop, drove to the post office to get a price for the guy & told him it would cost ~$20 to ship. Exactly what the PO told me, no mark up. He told me too much. For that price he'll buy new!!!
    Oh well, just another hour of my life I'll not get back.
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

strawboss (03-29-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    I don't really buy & sell much on kijiji & places, but my experiences have been mixed. A guy had a "wanted" add for a snow blower part & I had a used one. Told him he could have it for free if he paid shipping or he could buy a new part from any small engine place for ~$30. Even gave him the part # & verified the warehouse had stock.
    He wanted eleventeen hundred pics, so I took all that time & sent pics. He told me he wanted it. How much to ship?? I packaged it up, Closed the shop, drove to the post office to get a price for the guy & told him it would cost ~$20 to ship. Exactly what the PO told me, no mark up. He told me too much. For that price he'll buy new!!!
    I sincerely hope that Karma comes back on that guy & bites him in the ass,hard....

One online customer asked for a video clip of the machine in question running.
    I had multiple photos already posted, I told him I didn't know how to do that.....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to strawboss For This Useful Post:

klroger (03-29-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My friend just had a 6th seller ghost him last night on that CRF 250R. However, I wonder if my friend is possibly doing something that could be making buyers leery. He does tend to sell desperately. I tend to sell with a 'take it or leave it' attitude, and "if you don't like it, F off" attitude. At the same time, I don't misrepresent, and I do what I say.

My friend is my friend. And he's a good friend. But he and I are very different. He bought this CRF and immediately had to do every possible thing to it. Change all the plastics to a non factory black color. Buy new shiny wheels, buy new shiny spokes, expensive exhaust, buy a gold anodized chain, change all the brake lines to fancy (I forget what the non-expanding lines are called). If there's a CRF trend that's out there, he feels compelled to jump on it. In the end, the CRF looks fantastic. But he spends THOUSANDS to get it there. And a few short months later, he's selling it. And he get NO increased selling value with those things. It makes no sense. And me? I wouldn't buy a bike that's been done that way. I want it original. To me, it's worth more original. When it is original, it just looks / appears less futzed with. And trust me, my friend futzes with them, and they don't wind up better. Which is what I try to steer clear of.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-29-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    I know from personal experience you go the extra mile to help people out. I don't have a solution to the "killing mosquito's with a .50" That's what I call it when you bend over backwards to help someone with a minor issue, like they need a $10 part, and like you experienced, they bail, they ghost you, they want you to buy/ship to them at a major discount.

Quote Originally Posted by strawboss View Post
    I sincerely hope that Karma comes back on that guy & bites him in the ass,hard....

One online customer asked for a video clip of the machine in question running.
    I had multiple photos already posted, I told him I didn't know how to do that.....
    In the same way there are weirdo's out there who collect pics of little kids in swimsuits there are bozos out there collecting pics of items for sale. Asking for more pics/videos is a form of them attempting to control others. They have no intention of buying, none.

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    My friend just had a 6th seller ghost him last night on that CRF 250R. However, I wonder if my friend is possibly doing something that could be making buyers leery. He does tend to sell desperately. I tend to sell with a 'take it or leave it' attitude, and "if you don't like it, F off" attitude. At the same time, I don't misrepresent, and I do what I say.

My friend is my friend. And he's a good friend. But he and I are very different. He bought this CRF and immediately had to do every possible thing to it. Change all the plastics to a non factory black color. Buy new shiny wheels, buy new shiny spokes, expensive exhaust, buy a gold anodized chain, change all the brake lines to fancy (I forget what the non-expanding lines are called). If there's a CRF trend that's out there, he feels compelled to jump on it. In the end, the CRF looks fantastic. But he spends THOUSANDS to get it there. And a few short months later, he's selling it. And he get NO increased selling value with those things. It makes no sense. And me? I wouldn't buy a bike that's been done that way. I want it original. To me, it's worth more original. When it is original, it just looks / appears less futzed with. And trust me, my friend futzes with them, and they don't wind up better. Which is what I try to steer clear of.
    There's a saying we had in college about students, if they're having a major problem in one class the problem is likely with that prof. If said student is having issues in all their classes the problem is with them. Seeing as buddy is having issues with all the buyers the problem is clearly with him. I'm not prepared to speculate any further than that.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-01-2024),strawboss (03-30-2024)