Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential Mirage Eco-mod

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,828 Times in 2,133 Posts

Potential Mirage Eco-mod

If it can be done with a Suzuki Swift, surely someone can do it to this Mirage platform.

Slow car/huge cargo bike for burning man

Hello bicycle weirdo!

I converted a car to be powered by bicycle. As you can see in the pictures, the engine has been replaced by a bike. The original transmission now has a cassette on it, and it still shifts (1-4, R and 5 are gone). The rest of the car has been stripped down, leaving only the rolling bits, exterior, driver's seat, brakes, and steering. I think it currently weighs about 900lbs. On the flats it's easier to pedal than expected-- we biked it up a (tiny) ~12% hill!

The "cargo bike" requires two to operate, one to pedal and one to steer. I have plans to make it single operator by attaching controls to the handlebars, but the project stalled when I moved to SF. The car is in Los Altos Hills.

Some other details: the car is a suzuki (taylor) swift, the bike frame is fairly large (fit someone above >5'5"ish), the parking and normal brakes work great, the diff is welded and one axle removed so the bike only powers the driver side wheel, the interior has tons of space and doesn't leak, the lights should still work (harness is intact), and the car is registered in my name.

Edit: as found on Best of Craigslist Originally Posted: 2018-06-08. Makes me wonder where it is now...

Last edited by Eggman; 03-30-2024 at 04:48 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

mohammad (03-31-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    If it can be done with a Suzuki Swift, surely someone can to it to this Mirage platform.

Wow. that has to be illegal!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

cvt connoisseur, of sorts OrganicFoxes's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    If it can be done with a Suzuki Swift, surely someone can do it to this Mirage platform.

Edit: as found on Best of Craigslist Originally Posted: 2018-06-08. Makes me wonder where it is now...
    Okay but imagine if you could pedal the car from inside, like the passenger and driver could pedal the car together.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Being inside the vehicle would be a must. Also each (1-4) occupant would need to be able to pedal.
    The driver might need a hand brake perhaps like what they used for handicap conversions.
    This might require a vacuum pump to provide the power assist.
    If the pedaling could also help charge a small light battery pack perhaps an electric motor could provide some uphill assist and possibly the vacuum .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Or just start with this (might be less expensive)

(Click on the pictures to see the product page)

Mag wheels & drum brakes for the win!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

BigMW (04-01-2024),inuvik (04-01-2024),OrganicFoxes (04-01-2024)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    How about a Twike 5? OK, it's not inexpensive at all.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Space Wolf For This Useful Post:

mohammad (04-03-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    How about a Twike 5? OK, it's not inexpensive at all.
    All f*****g wrong. Go watch videos of 3 wheel Robins wiping out all over the UK.

If you go 3 wheels only ONE is in the back. It's a stability thing, Going 190kph in a trike 3 wheeler only needs a small twitch and over you go. That's why the Bombardier Spyder is not a trike.

Over here 3 wheels = motorcycle meaning a helmet is mandatory in many regions. I guess a skull beanie would be legal but you'll still sweat like mad in Arizona.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That Twike sure looks aerodynamic though. Seems changing the layout to Tadpole would impact those aerodynamics.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    All f*****g wrong. Go watch videos of 3 wheel Robins wiping out all over the UK.

If you go 3 wheels only ONE is in the back. It's a stability thing, Going 190kph in a trike 3 wheeler only needs a small twitch and over you go. That's why the Bombardier Spyder is not a trike.

Over here 3 wheels = motorcycle meaning a helmet is mandatory in many regions. I guess a skull beanie would be legal but you'll still sweat like mad in Arizona.
    I thought the same thing because topgear.
    It looks like over there 3 wheels=motorcycle(or trike) as well. So minors with a bike license can drive one. Here you can drive a bike under 50cc with a learners license at 14. Can't ride a bike bigger than that unless you have a bike license at 16. So I guess to drive a 3 wheeled car I'd have to go get a bike endorsement added to my license. I remember in jr high there was one kid that had one of those mini 50cc crotch rockets in the early 90's. Looked like a YSR50, I can't remember what it was exactly but remember the cops coming and hauling it away after he rode it around the fields at school.

Are these dangerous and tip over too?
    Last edited by Fummins; 04-03-2024 at 02:27 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    As far as I know, bombardier Spyder relies heavily on electronics to keep it from wiping out on the first turn. ANYTHING with 3 wheels is unstable and has trouble tracking straight and making turns

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)