Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Poland!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Suzuki Swift Mild Hybrid system is described in this brochure.

I’ll have to add a snippet describing the setup later when I get back to my computer but it basically uses a small motor generator that replaces both the starter and the alternator (generator?) and a small 10AH Li-on battery. Super cheap, super light weight, super versatile, super effective.
    Is Suzuki still selling cars in USA?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.3 mpg (US) ... 18.8 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp)

I wonder why we don't get some of these types of vehicles, smafety regs,political, it's not an suv?

It'd be nice to have some more affordable choices if someone wanted a small efficient awd or a hybrid. The push for $100,000 Suv's and $100,000 ev's is crazy to me. Especially the depreciation. Even if a Mirage depreciates 100% in five years it's a drop in the bucket in comparison.
    I've never heard of a hybrid with a manual transmission before.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

BigMW (04-04-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,143 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMW View Post
    Quoting another source for the date -
    "Suzuki folded its U.S. operation in 2012 after it sold just 26,619 vehicles total here in 2011." May 27, 2015

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

BigMW (04-04-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,143 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I wonder why we don't get some of these types of vehicles, smafety regs,political, it's not an suv?

It'd be nice to have some more affordable choices if someone wanted a small efficient awd or a hybrid. The push for $100,000 Suv's and $100,000 ev's is crazy to me. Especially the depreciation. Even if a Mirage depreciates 100% in five years it's a drop in the bucket in comparison.
    I find it really sad that affordable cars can't survive here. I'm not sure what that says about us as a society?

I don't see someone like Suzuki coming back when models like the Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, Chevy Spark, Ford Fiesta, Scion models, & others didn't survive here.

Despite the competition disappearing, Mirage sales continue to drop in the States at least. I've always embraced small economy cars, but I feel like the exception rather than the norm. Most of my friends & relatives don't share the same joy of affordable small cars.

My brother drives a full size GMC pickup truck, but he likes fishing. He needs a vehicle that will tow his 17' boat around with ease, & he has no interest in owning two vehicles. He might pay cash for a new truck, but then he will drive it for 15 years, too. I don't judge him for not wanting a car like my Mirage. He's also 15 minutes from our parents, and I am 4 hours away. I enjoy the mpg of my Mirage when visiting them.

I try not to judge others, because lots of people own campers, boats, & trailers to haul their toys these days. At the same time, I feel cars like the Mirage should be more popular than they are. Most don't need a towing/hauling vehicle.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

BigMW (04-04-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,849 Times in 2,149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMW View Post
    No, they are not. I found that info from a UK website.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

BigMW (04-04-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,849 Times in 2,149 Posts
    From the brochure:

Quote Originally Posted by suzuki.co.uk
    HYBRID TECHNOLOGY – ENHANCED HYBRID SYSTEM
    Fuel efficiency is further enhanced when paired with the self-charging hybrid system powered by a lithium-ion battery with capacity of 10Ah to improve energy recovery efficiency.

Fitted as standard equipment for the new Swift, the 12V Mild Hybrid system is a compact and lightweight unit that incorporates an Integrated Starter Generator (known as ISG) which acts as both a generator and starter motor, the ISG is belt driven and assists the engine during vehicle take off and acceleration and also generates electricity through regenerative braking. The ISG unit has a power output of 2.3kW with a torque figure of 60Nm. Suzuki‘s 12V Mild Hybrid is particularly light weight with the components of the system adding less than 7.0kg to the overall weight of the car.

In situations that require higher fuel use, such as when starting from a standstill or accelerating, the hybrid system helps suppress fuel consumption by providing electric motor assist using electricity generated through regenerative braking. Because the ISG uses a belt drive rather than a conventional starter motor to restart the engine after an automatic engine stop it allows for a quiet and smooth start.

Furthermore, the light and long-life lithium-ion battery has excellent regenerative efficiency, which increases the frequency of engine assists. The battery also supplies power to electrical components for the engine, instruments as well as the audio system.

For the Swift Motion with manual transmission the Hybrid system helps reach a CO2 emissions figure of just 99g/km (WLTP regulation) plus achieve a fuel consumption figure of 64.2 mpg (WLTP) on the combined cycle.
    I seem to recall Mitsubishi did something similar for this generation Mirage in some market(s) where the alternator would be used to charge up the battery or some such, though I don't think it was used for propulsion but only for energy recovery when decelerating.

The brochure also claims a Driver Monitoring System.

Anyway, this is an example of a technological advancement that actually simplifies the design by combining the functions of two separate components into one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 1,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    The very first Insights (aluminum body) were manual transmissions. They probably had an automagic option though. A guy here at work shows up every now and then with an Insight, manual trans. I believe that's the name of them ... Insight. It's a Civic sized sedan (maybe a skosh bigger) that has the rear fenders drooping down over the rear tires. I like the car ... if nothing else, just for it being purpose built to achieve something (efficiency).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-03-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    The very first Insights (aluminum body) were manual transmissions. They probably had an automagic option though. A guy here at work shows up every now and then with an Insight, manual trans. I believe that's the name of them ... Insight. It's a Civic sized sedan (maybe a skosh bigger) that has the rear fenders drooping down over the rear tires. I like the car ... if nothing else, just for it being purpose built to achieve something (efficiency).
    I'm a liar then. I'm pretty sure I watched a bunch of video's about a guy that put a harbor freight engine into a manual insight.
    Hold my beer while I look for it.

Looks like he put a little kubota engine in it now

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (04-03-2024)

Country
    Poland
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    The brochure also claims a Driver Monitoring System.
    This is due to the fact that by 2038 European Union is trying to reduce accident statistics by at least 140,000 serious injuries and 25 thousand deaths.
    On July 1, 2004, ABS became a mandatory element of the equipment of a brand new car in the EU. On November 1, 2014, ESP also appeared on the list. Now, however, the EU has much greater scope for action. This is determined by modernity and the series of ADDW (Advanced Driver Distraction Warning) systems offered by car manufacturers.

The EU will require brand new cars to have:
    - intelligent speed assistant - the system reads speed limit signs using a camera. When a vehicle exceeds the speed limit, the driver receives a warning. The new limit can also be automatically taken over, e.g. by cruise control.
    - warning system when reversing - the EU leaves it up to you here. The system can be based on mandatory reversing sensors or a reversing camera. These devices must be activated automatically when reverse gear is engaged.
    - system monitoring the driver's attention - using a camera, it observes the driver's face. When it notices that the person is not looking at the road or, for example, has fallen asleep, it will display a warning light on the console, emit a warning message louder and louder, and activate haptic signals, e.g. on the steering wheel.
    - system recording driving parameters - the so-called black box. Records driving data 5 seconds before hitting an obstacle. It will allow you to better explain the typology of the event. The black box cannot be turned off, but the data stored on it can only be read after being removed from the vehicle after a road accident.
    - emergency braking system , which recognizes an obstacle and automatically activates the brakes if there is a risk of hitting another car, a pedestrian or an obstacle.

The above list of mandatory equipment for brand new cars will be implemented in the EU on July 7, 2024. From that date, every vehicle that leaves the showroom must have certain solutions. Otherwise, the vehicle will not be approved for sale and, in fact, will not be able to be registered.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2021 Space Star Intense SDA 1.2 automatic: 34.5 mpg (US) ... 14.7 km/L ... 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 1,093 Posts
    What? No "system monitoring driver's anus?"

If the system detects puckering, the system activates breaking & traction control.

If I were only still in automotive engineering ... sounds like a patent to me!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)