Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hello from Poland!

Country
    Poland
    Thanks
    LOL... back in 2017 they signed a bill to make sure that from May 2022 something else is mandatory:
    Facilitating the installation of an ignition blocking breathalyzer. This is a standardized interface that facilitates the installation of ignition interlock breathalyzers. This is only about facilitating assembly, not equipping cars with breathalyzer.

No idea if it went live at all, maybe some additional wires, free pigtail and option in ECU exists in Space Star now?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2021 Space Star Intense SDA 1.2 automatic: 34.5 mpg (US) ... 14.7 km/L ... 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Poland
    Thanks
    So, about the black boxes mandatory from the 7th of July this year in the European Union, just found a bit more info - officially it's called EDR (Event Data Recorder), which continuously monitors car's safety systems and stores the data in the loop overwriting the old data. It will save 5 seconds of data before the collision and 300 milliseconds afterward. The data monitored and stored:

The following can be read from a car's black box:

- percentage of throttle opening (accelerator pedal pressed),
    - vehicle speed in the range from 0 to 250 km/h,
    - engine RPMs,
    - percentage indicator of brake pressing,
    - ABS system status (on/off),
    - operation of the ESP system,
    - steering wheel turning angle,
    - steering wheel movements,
    - longitudinal and transverse accelerations during collision,
    - vehicle tilt angle,
    - condition of seat belts (fastened/not fastened),
    - the condition of belt tensioners
    - airbag activation,
    - Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) light status (TPMS is mandatory since 2014 in new cars)
    - cruise control operation,
    - status of active driver assistance systems.

What can I say? Orwell was right and 1984 is coming sooner than I thought. With all of the systems if you go over the speed limit it could automatically send an email with a ticket and fine attached to it - right?
    I do understand safety but soon all of the fun that driving gives will be taken away by autonomous cars, you just jump in and it takes you wherever desired... Sad but true.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2021 Space Star Intense SDA 1.2 automatic: 34.5 mpg (US) ... 14.7 km/L ... 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 1,093 Posts
    Fun is fun because it includes a certain amount of risk. The amount varies from person to person. When people who don't understand this reality, or who may understand this reality but have a very low threshold for the amount of risk they are willing to tolerate, are put in charge, they spoil the fun for the rest of us.

On the flip side, when those that have a much higher amount of risk tolerance are allowed to run rampant, they and or others often get hurt. So ... there's a balance. A difficult balance to find from issue-to-issue.

Politicians on this side don't understand any of the above --- politicians on this side sometimes understand the above.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,143 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bunio14 View Post
    What can I say? Orwell was right and 1984 is coming sooner than I thought. With all of the systems if you go over the speed limit it could automatically send an email with a ticket and fine attached to it - right?
    I do understand safety but soon all of the fun that driving gives will be taken away by autonomous cars, you just jump in and it takes you wherever desired... Sad but true.
    Reading this thread has made taking the bus seem more appealing.

Country
    Poland
    Thanks
    Soon I will be a great fan of public transportation

My black box is nfg so no worries there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)