Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 Total solar Eclipse

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am in the direct path in my area. People are paying $1000.00 or more for lodging. Sad part is it might be very cloudy here unless you are right on Lake Erie.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Wally - Can I come to your house? I'll only bring my family, sister, all my friends, a few uncles and aunts. How are you stocked for beer? You should go buy a killermeater of beer if low.
    Sure, just make sure to bring plenty of raccoon grits and smoked possum!
    oh, and a signed pic of Ironhead
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-05-2024)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I'll likely miss it. It's during my nap time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy Bear For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-05-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bear View Post
    I'll likely miss it. It's during my nap time.
    You'll be the only one to survive then! Everyone who goes and sees it, or is in an airplane at that time are all DEAD-MEAT.

I went and saw the 2017 eclipse. I found a place in the direct path, down in south GA somewhere it seems. I took the whole family and went to this dirt lot I found on google maps because the dirt lot was in the middle of NOWHERE and was 100% directly in the path.

When we got there it was about 90% full of poeple and cars. I was surprised. It finally overflowed with people and cars. One guy brought some telescope that had to be a $10,000+ telescope with a filtered lens on it, and the telescope would automagically track the sun. The telescope was WAY cool. He would let people look through, what a nice guy because LOTS of people wanted to look through it ... he let them all.

When the eclipse hit, it got way darker than I expected. People who had left their cars idling, their automagic lights came on, street lights came on ... street lights that I didn't even realize that were there.

The whole experience was way cooler than I thought. I'm glad I did that with the family.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-05-2024),Grumpy Bear (04-05-2024),MetroMPG (04-08-2024)

I guess I'm missing out being too far away. Me thinks we'll see a partial eclipse. We don't pay enough carbon tax I guess? I'm looking forward to the days when the sun doesn't go down completely or when it's only dark for an hour or two. Might have to venture further north this summer where it's daylight 24/7 for weeks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,828 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I guess I'm missing out being too far away. Me thinks we'll see a partial eclipse.
    Be sure to check the Time and Date Path Map to see what percentage of the sun will be blocked at your location. On the map, just zoom in and select your location for eclipse info.

Victoria Park in Edmonton is to see a 23% obscuration.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I've seen a few. I'm old. LOL. 90% where I live. Close enough and free bed and breakfast.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy Bear For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-05-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm looking forward to the days when the sun doesn't go down completely or when it's only dark for an hour or two. Might have to venture further north this summer where it's daylight 24/7 for weeks.
    Are the Northern Lights a common occurrence there? That's on my list of things to do & see.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Are the Northern Lights a common occurrence there? That's on my list of things to do & see.
    If you drive a ways out of the city you can sometimes see them. Used to see them more up around around lesser slave lake about 200 miles north. I've never seen them look like they do in the pictures where it looks like aliens are landing.

Hoping to hit up Tuktoyaktuk this year but might have to wait til next year. Too much to do and never enough money or time...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-05-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you drive a ways out of the city you can sometimes see them. Used to see them more up around around lesser slave lake about 200 miles north. I've never seen them look like they do in the pictures where it looks like aliens are landing.

Hoping to hit up Tuktoyaktuk this year but might have to wait til next year. Too much to do and never enough money or time...
    Gotta take the kids. It's something they'll never forget.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-05-2024)