Thread: Variable insurance

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Variable insurance

If I understand things correctly my US bros. can buy a blanket insurance policy for your passenger vehicles.

In Ontario, to contrast, I have to buy a discrete policy for each vehicle I own. Now, my sports car can be insured with Hagerty so that rate of $250/year is fair.

But Ontario carriers want me to buy a complete policy, all mandatory stuff, health and rehab, blah blah for each car. So a single driver in a household with 3 cars gets to pay full rate x 3. That is nonsense. Last time I looked I could only drive a single car at a time. Oh, I also must state that NO OTHER drivers will EVER use my cars!!! So with Ontario insurance running an average of $1300/annum these bozos expect me to pay $4K ANNUALLY for my Vue and 2 Mirages.

Along comes CAA (AAA for Canucks)
    I can buy insurance by the 1000 kilometer block. So if I only drive my Vue 4000km over the year I'll pay about 1/4 the annual premium. Not ideal, but much better than paying 100% of the annual premium and only driving 25% the distance of my Mirage.

So my US buds, tell me how it works to insure if you have your primary and an secondary like Mark, 7miles, basic, Eggman (don't you have a Jeep secondary?)

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,828 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    So my US buds, tell me how it works to insure if you have your primary and an secondary like Mark, 7miles, basic, Eggman (don't you have a Jeep secondary?)
    I suspend insurance coverage for vehicles I park for the winter, such as my CJ-7 and reinstate coverage around May 1. Last winter I parked both the Jeep and the Tesla and drove a beater, so I suspended coverage for both of 'em.

During the warm season I pay for coverage for both as I will switch driving them depending of the weather and the trip.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I suspend insurance coverage for vehicles I park for the winter, such as my CJ-7 and reinstate coverage around May 1. Last winter I parked both the Jeep and the Tesla and drove a beater, so I suspended coverage for both of 'em.

During the warm season I pay for coverage for both as I will switch driving them depending of the weather and the trip.
    Smart! Wish I could do that

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    I paid $438.08 total for both of my vehicles for the current 6-month period. $252.24 for my 2017 Mirage & $185.84 for my 2011 Forester. If my premium remains the same, that's approximately $877/year to cover both of my vehicles.

That includes liability, uninsured/underinsured coverage, comprehensive, & collision coverage. I have a $250 comprehensive deductible, and $500 collision deductible. It's hard to estimate accurately, but I could drop everything except liability. Liability only may be $350-400/year for both cars, but that's a bit of a guess on my part looking at my policy.

I know when I sold my 1990 Ford Festiva back in 2004, I was only paying $99/year liability insurance on it. It could have been 6-months, but I think I paid $99 once a year. A person should never sell a daily driver like that!

I carry a one million dollar umbrella policy (home & auto) on top of all that, but that is a very small premium ($97/year).

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Oh, I also must state that NO OTHER drivers will EVER use my cars!!!
    In ontario you can sign OPCF 28A to exclude drivers you live with from being insured for your cars: https://www.thinkinsure.ca/insurance...ed-driver.html
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-07-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Try doing that here and I imagine our insurers will nullify you in a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I paid $438.08 total for both of my vehicles for the current 6-month period. $252.24 for my 2017 Mirage & $185.84 for my 2011 Forester. If my premium remains the same, that's approximately $877/year to cover both of my vehicles.

That includes liability, uninsured/underinsured coverage, comprehensive, & collision coverage. I have a $250 comprehensive deductible, and $500 collision deductible. It's hard to estimate accurately, but I could drop everything except liability. Liability only may be $350-400/year for both cars, but that's a bit of a guess on my part looking at my policy.

I know when I sold my 1990 Ford Festiva back in 2004, I was only paying $99/year liability insurance on it. It could have been 6-months, but I think I paid $99 once a year. A person should never sell a daily driver like that!

I carry a one million dollar umbrella policy (home & auto) on top of all that, but that is a very small premium ($97/year).
    Ontario has some of the highest insurance rates in the world, and Canada has some of the highest cell and internet rates. See what happens when you let industry lobbyists sneak in? Costs go out of control. Prior to costs running rampant I paid about the same for auto, but my home, and all Ontario home is insane, think $500/annum for RENTERS and 3-4x that for OWNERS. Yet statisically Ontario is actually far cheaper for insurers as we don't have major population centers on flood plains nor do we have annual
    hurricanes, typhoons, and with qualifiers, no tornadoes.

Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    In ontario you can sign OPCF 28A to exclude drivers you live with from being insured for your cars: https://www.thinkinsure.ca/insurance...ed-driver.html
    That's what I meant when I said you have to sign away protections. Did you notice this? "However, it is important to remember that your insurer can still factor in any accidents that the excluded driver encountered previously into calculations." So the insurer can still treat the horrible driver as though they are driving on your policy.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,828 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Try doing that here and I imagine our insurers will nullify you in a minute.
    Why would an insurer nullify someone over suspending their coverage for the winter? Has this happened to you, or has your insurer told you as much?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Why would an insurer nullify someone over suspending their coverage for the winter? Has this happened to you, or has your insurer told you as much?
    Yep, CAA says flat out you will be dropped if you do this. IDK about other insurers, perhaps they do the same thing.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Wally - The best I can describe my insurance is ... sort of like yours. But additive. And when I add vehicles, I get certain discounts on other vehicles. So, say my insurance is $200 a month, and one particular vehicle is $40 per month of that. If I drop that vehicle, my insurance doesn't go to $160. It would go down to maybe something like $165. Because I'd be losing that multicar discount contribution.

But my situation is different. I'm still covering my 3 sons, and one mean evil wicked witch.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)