Thread: Leaking CVT pan gasket

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Leaking CVT pan gasket

Hi all, my sister hadn’t serviced her car in many years (2017 Mirage) so I figured I’d lend her a hand. I changed the CVT fluid with OEM and replaced the filters, I put a new gasket on it and it started to leak a little bit.

I’ve tried putting a new metal gasket on to torque specs 5.9Nm and in the order in the manual, but it’s still leaking. I’m going crazy trying to figure out what I’m doing wrong. It’s since thrown a solenoid code. Can anybody shed some light? Very grateful 🙏

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Sorry I know it’s probably annoying having someone just post their problem first post, but I’ve been looking through here for the past few weeks and I’m still having no luck.

I had the gasket leak once too. Ended up dropping the pan again, wiping it clean and reinstalling it. Didn't use torque specs, just good-in-tight using a small 1/4 drive ratchet.
    As for the solenoid code, could be anything. Improper fluid level or sticky solenoid in the valve body. There are tiny screen filters inside the valve body. But if they're plugged up there's usually something else going one. @3:58

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Thanks Fummins, I have tried it a couple times unfortunately, it needs to be completely dry? I'll also double check the pan isn't bent in the morning.
    Also if you wouldn't mind:
    1) Is it possible to crush the metal gasket? Unlikely?
    2) If needed and I source a valve body, is getting this changed over straightforward? I've only watched a tear down video.
    Thanks again l've watched your videos and read many of your posts on here. A huge help

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim_ccool For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-09-2024)

Yeah, spray the gasket and pan with brake cleaner. I usually have good luck re-using the old gaskets without leaks as long as everything is clean and dry.

The valve body is pretty straightforward to replace. Gotta remove the shifter lever that slides a piston in the valve body, a few 10mm bolts and one connector iirc. Make sure the fluid level is perfect though, you have to have them good and hot. There's a fluid temp/fluid level chart posted somewhere on the forum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-09-2024)