Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What CVT fluid is in our cars?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

What CVT fluid is in our cars?

Hello, I would like to know exactly what fluid brand is used from the jatco factory. Is it Mitsubishi fluid or idmitsu? I want to put in exactly what is in there.

SIMPLIFY THEN ADD LIGHTNESS.

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Genuine Mitsubishi OE CVT Transmission J4 TransMission Fluid

Here is a link with 3 quarts and the cartridge filter that I used for my first trans service.........
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...U4D3JXAA&psc=1

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I find it kinda weird how the jatco factory would fill them with Mitsubishi fluid? Another reason for my suspicions is rockauto pops up idemitsu and Pentosin. I want the exact fluid, not something that's compatible with it. The transmission wasn't made by Mitsubishi. I am hoping someone would be more technical with it.
    SIMPLIFY THEN ADD LIGHTNESS.

I just use universal cvt fluid. It's brown and comes in a plastic bottle. Says meets J4 spec on the label.

I use the same stuff in other Jatco cvt's in Nissans as well and haven't had any issues with those cvt's. Many of them any have over 400k kms. Different model cvt than the Mirage though.
    Last edited by Fummins; 04-10-2024 at 02:33 AM. Reason: sure

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (04-10-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,433 Times in 1,039 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2024mirage View Post
    I find it kinda weird how the jatco factory would fill them with Mitsubishi fluid? Another reason for my suspicions is rockauto pops up idemitsu and Pentosin. I want the exact fluid, not something that's compatible with it. The transmission wasn't made by Mitsubishi. I am hoping someone would be more technical with it.
    I'm just thinking out loud here. I think it's feasible or likely that Jatco would ship them unfilled. I may be wrong on that. But, if they ship them filled, there's always spillage concerns. And, on a vehicle assembly line, they are extremely careful to fill fluids exactly to specs. So, I think there's a decent change Mitsubishi fille them in their plant.

I have specifically watched them (assembly lines) fill oil sumps, fill and flush brake lines, add some gas, add coolant, and charge A/C systems. I never noticed filling transmissions though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    When we get a new replacement transmission it does not come filled with fluid, we fill them at the dealer. Fair to assume they wouldn't ship them filled to the factory either.

When I was at Chrysler there was a transmission that was built in 2 different factories and used different fluids because the clutch materials available to each factory were different. The moral of the story is use what the vehicle manufacturer tells you.

cvt connoisseur, of sorts OrganicFoxes's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2024mirage View Post
    Not all Jatco transmissions are the same even if it is the same model. Nissans Jatco cvts are built it mexico and it built JUST for nissan cars and has differences like an overflow valve and no dipstick. Mitsubishi owns part of Jatco too, so I am assuming they are doing the same thing and building them just for Mitsubishi vehicles in Thailand and Japan. There is no "one Jatco factory" but there could be one for non Nissan and Mitsubishi vehicles, though I am not sure about that.

I would not worry to much about the fluid, if you are under warranty just use the genuine Mitsubishi fluid. When your warranty ends just use any cvt fluid that meets j4 spec. I use the Valvoline fluid since it is very easy for me to get locally in my area and does not cost much.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to OrganicFoxes For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-13-2024)

Country
    Poland
    Thanks
    Question, probably to @foama or EU members, any opinions about the Ravenol brand? Never heard of/used it.
    https://www.ravenol.de/en/product/ge...tf-ns3j4-fluid

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2021 Space Star Intense SDA 1.2 automatic: 34.5 mpg (US) ... 14.7 km/L ... 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    First off Mitsubishi doesn't blend fluids. That is farmed out to someone 'like' Idemitsu and JATCO sets the fluid spec.

That fluid would be their N3(J4) which is a Petroleum based fluid. Group III. Everyone calls a Synthetic on this side of the pond. Is Idemitsu Mitsubishi's blender? I have no idea.

There are much better fluids available. Ones that are not Group III but POA's. Better? How so?

1.) POA's can reduce fluid temperatures 10 to 20 C. They have a higher thermal conductivity and specific heat.
    2.) VI only addresses the viscosity changes between 40 and 100 C. The difference below 40 C between a mineral oil, even a suppressed one and a PAO is remarkable:

Name:  POA5.jpeg
Views: 58
Size:  17.7 KB

3.) Chemical kinetics tell us that if you reduce the temperature, you will reduce the reaction rate. Oxidative and other lubricant degradation mechanisms would follow the same trend. Therefore, reducing the temperature is generally beneficial in extending the life of a lubricant. (www.cpchem.com)

4.) All this means a higher fluid film at operating temperature from an equal or better performance at low temperatures.

Less wear, longer life, cooler operation. All from a base oil change. Red Line, AMSOIL, Ravenol are three off the top of the noggin.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grumpy Bear For This Useful Post:

7milesout (04-17-2024),BigMW (04-18-2024),Eggman (04-17-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,433 Times in 1,039 Posts
    Now we're getting somewhere. Grumpy, if I had a CVT car, I'd be all over this subject trying to learn. The longevity of our cute little 1.2L engines (assuming proper maintenance) concerns me very little. But if I have one with a CVT, the longevity of that CVT contraption would concern me greatly. So, I'd be trying to make sure I did every little thing I could to give it the greatest opportunity to keep on keeping on.

This is interesting even without a CVT. You never know, I may have one on the future. So I'm going to try to let some of this digest.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (04-18-2024)