Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TIL where rear heater vents are located

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    I can confirm on my 1.0L poverty edition with A/C but without auto-temp or climate-control the "rear warm air exits" are exactly the same as seen in fummins's pictures.

Looking at that assy and feeling the little bit of air coming out, it is difficult to comprehend it could have any more function other than to be a sales assisting gimmik - one more line in a features list.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

mohammad (04-20-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,433 Times in 1,039 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I'm no airflow engineer but I suspect if smooth tubing was used the airflow would increase by a factor of 2.
    It is how it is, for manufacturability. An assembly line wants all parts of the car to go together instantaneously and without paying for manpower. Since neither of those are actually possible, they shoot for as close to that as possible. The flexible hose makes it quicker / easier to install. Probably as cheap as dirt too.

Also, it just looks badly engineered. Like an afterthought.
    I would hazard that it is not an afterthought. But when it is out of sight, appearance goes out the window. And you sort of get a glimpse of the inner working of an engineer's mind. Sometimes it's not pretty. Badly engineered? Mmmmm, maybe "cheaply" engineered. But I appreciate the effort to keep the car inexpensive.

If I get ambitious this summer I'll replace the rippled tubing with smooth and see if there is an easy way to mount an open/close flapper to prevent any air from entering the downtube.
    I think that effort may be worthy / valuable. I hope to hear back when you do this.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Wally, does your car have automagic or manual temp controls?

I pulled the hose that goes to the "rear vents"(at the heater box) on my car(with auto temp controls) yesterday. I tried the heater in every position, vent, defrost and each possible combination. Air only came out the floor and rear vent hose when the controls were set to floor, floor/vent and floor/defrost. That's it. There was no noticeable air flow front the floor holes when the temp controls were set to the defrost or vent(upper) positions. When I had the hose hose off I plugged it at the heater box and could hardly tell a change in air flow coming out of the front lower dash "floor" vents.

I also noticed that the rear defroster light on the button doesn't light up anymore. Might be water related?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (04-25-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    It just dawned on me there is no mounting a regular HF size radio under the dash as the downtube is in the way.
    Oh, I can ditch the downtube and I guess the remaining vents would get quite intense.

That, or find another radio with a detachable head so I can mount the big lump that is the power/RF section under the seat. But I discovered the radio gets annoyingly hot under there with no airflow. My final choice I guess is mounting my non-fan VHF radio under the driver side, (I actually move my seat A LOT as I can't drive in one position for long periods) and mount my hot HF radio under the passenger seat and leave the heat outlet open.

Protip for noobs. Make sure you have adequate space for TWO normal size radios in the ride you plan to buy.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    1. It is how it is, for manufacturability.

2. I think that effort may be worthy / valuable. I hope to hear back when you do this.
    1. I know better as a line engineer at Ford Oakville for a spell all that mattered is if it worked.

2. I remember something about Bernoulli and airflow from my college days.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Wally, does your car have automagic or manual temp controls?

I also noticed that the rear defroster light on the button doesn't light up anymore. Might be water related?
    I have each, my 14 has climate control, my 17 is manual. My 14 has the plugged core issue.
    I didn't document what settings were, but only heat settings sent anything to the rear ducts. I should have said "with my AC button in it appeared I got more airflow from the rear vents when it was in and I had the ducts set to any floor setting." It did feel that way. AC button on, more perceived airflow.

On my 17 I didn't pay any attention to the dash settling. I do know more hot air came from the dash with ducts plugged and any setting was heat and floor. I guess it's obvious whatever flapper they use is in the plenum that feeds the floor ducts.

I still don't get why it appeared my plugged core was now OK when I closed off the rear ducts. It does not compute.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)